"Major retailer" signs up for Market Street Project (3 Viewers)

Any new news on this? Or on that mid-city development that Winn Dixie is involved in? I thought maybe we could keep this thread going and discuss developments around the city. Glad to see the Canal St development was approved.

Any new news on this? Or on that mid-city development that Winn Dixie is involved in? I thought maybe we could keep this thread going and discuss developments around the city. Glad to see the Canal St development was approved.

i pay a decent amount of attention to all the Lafitte Corridor stuff and haven't heard much about it for a few months
i know the locals do a lot of community events/cleanings of this area, but not much noise from the city or developers
pretty sure it's still happening just at that incredibly lugubrious NO pace

Can someone translate this for me? It sounds like the article may be trying to manufacture a story where no real movement has occured. It doesn't sound like there's been a really big break that may make this more likely to occur. To me, there's still a lot of hurdles that have to be cleared on top of several "what ifs". The article starts off with:
Market Street power plant site still may reel in Bass Pro Shop said:
But fortunes could be turning for the iconic building with two smokestacks just upriver from the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center. On Monday, Bankruptcy Judge Elizabeth Magner told the company it needed to file a reorganization plan by the end of this month, a key step in emerging from bankruptcy.

Then, the author hits us with:
Market Street power plant site still may reel in Bass Pro Shop said:
The company faces big hurdles in the coming months with filing the plan, getting other stakeholders to approve it and lining up financing for its visions. If the redevelopment succeeds, it could give a lift to real estate development efforts in the area. If it fails, it could lose the building and have to convert the bankruptcy to a liquidation.
Emerging from bankruptcy, lining up financing...this sounds like a mess with no end in sight, but the article is fairly optimistic. Is all that less problematic than it sounds?

Don't forget this little tidbit from the same article......

Ullian said that Bass Pro "is still circling around" the 500,000 square foot power plant, and is "one of several" potential anchor tenants under consideration.

BUT......

Bass Pro spokesman Larry Whiteley said he knew nothing about the possibility and probably would have been notified if a letter of intent had been signed.

Sounds to me like Bass Pro has no commitment to the area......:scratch:

Don't forget this little tidbit from the same article......

Ullian said that Bass Pro "is still circling around" the 500,000 square foot power plant, and is "one of several" potential anchor tenants under consideration.

BUT......

Bass Pro spokesman Larry Whiteley said he knew nothing about the possibility and probably would have been notified if a letter of intent had been signed.

Sounds to me like Bass Pro has no commitment to the area......:scratch:

IMO, BPS would be better suited as the anchor tennant at the proposed retail site of the former Jazzland/6 flags.

Market Street power plant has a new owner, but don't expect redevelopment soon | NOLA.com

Just after Thursday's auction at Orleans Civil District Court, Jaeger said he has no immediate plans to redevelop the site because his first priority is helping the so-called Trade District materialize. That proposal for the 47 acres between the Ernest N. Morial New Orleans Convention Center and the power plant includes a 1,200-room hotel as the centerpiece of a development with 1,400 residential units, stores, restaurants, entertainment venues and tourist attractions.

What's the news on the Trade District? Seems like the Power Plant is in line behind this project before anything happens.

Well, the silver lining is that this was the property on the end of the trade district he wants to build, so now he can incorporate this one too.

The future of the New Orleans riverfront, from parks to condos | NOLA.com

This is a great compilation of all the development planned for the riverfront from the Bywater to the Warehouse District.

At first blush, this all sounds pretty good but can we expect the local population to sustain such growth? Yes we should always expect visitors but those numbers fluctuate especially in downturns

That being said, it would be cool as hell to have a riverfront connected bike path/walkway from holy cross to Kenner

Has anyone heard anything about this area moving forward? I thought I remember hearing that this was going to be developed along with plan for the Four Seasons, but I can't find where I saw that....could be that I'm remembering a conversation. At any rate, anyone know what's going with this area?

Has anyone heard anything about this area moving forward? I thought I remember hearing that this was going to be developed along with plan for the Four Seasons, but I can't find where I saw that....could be that I'm remembering a conversation. At any rate, anyone know what's going with this area?

All I know is that I'm glad we didn't let it become a bass pro shop. We would have missed out on the locally appropriate and appreciated development that we have now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom