"Make it, take it" rule in effect tomorrow at Probowl as a test. (Onside kick alternative) (1 Viewer)

Now that I think about it it’s probably better to just flip coins on every play instead of snapping the football. It’s the only way to be sure. The players can just keep flipping and get 10 yards each time they win the toss until one team or the other crosses the goal line. It’s the only way to be sure

Then again a player could pull a hamstring or something when bending down to pick up the coin.

Maybe we should do Rock Paper Scissors instead

Rule needs to be worded in such a way that a team must gain 15 yards by themselves. Any penalty results in a replay that 4th down. That would take away the DPI past 15 yards and limit any confusion about maybe a 5 yard defensive holding penalty. That should not count the same as gaining 15 yards which is what I think they are aiming for.

Then the defense would commit a penalty every time until the clock runs out. The way around that is make it an untimed down but then we end up with a never ending game. This option would only take place if there is little time left and team A just scored and needs another to tie or win so team B is going to do what it takes to stop team a from getting into scoring range.

Eli Apple can draw a flag on that play 9 out of 10 times.
If this makes it to real football, teams are going to bank on a foul to bail them out on this play. Dumb rule idea.

This would be the golden key that allows the refs once and for all to decide the outcome of each and every game with nothing, not even chance to get in their way.

A team scores in the 4th quarter and takes the lead? That team uses the "take it" option. If they get the first down, nothing happens. If they don't, then there's a flag for some penalty that carries an automatic first down. Then everything goes back to normal where the refs allow the series to go to 3rd down without interfering. If the team doesn't make it on 3rd down, flag. They score and now take a bigger lead and chose the "take it" option. And continue with this cycle until the clock runs out without the opponent ever getting to play a down of offense.

A team is down 17 points at the end of the 3rd quarter. Same thing happens as above and that team has the ball the entire 4th quarter. They win the game without the opponent ever having a chance to answer or protect their lead.

Sure there's a controversy, but only the fans of that team care. A couple of NFLN or ESPN talking heads make a fuss about it, but the other talking heads laugh and cut up and tow the company line. In a few days it's all forgotten, until it happens to your team... you don't and won't care. And when it does, you look around and realize that nobody else cares and your team has no recourse.

Now, being Saints fans... in all of the above do you think we'd find ourselves on? If this makes it to the field, it'll be the final straw proving that the league wants 100% control of every outcome and that they WANT CONTROVERSY so bad that they're willing to completely change the game to create more controversy.

Going for 4th and 15th from your own 25 seems extremely punishing if you don’t convert. If you don’t recover an onside kick the other team would have the ball probably around the 50. Id like to see this play from your own 35 instead.
Nah, I think I like it the way it is. In almost every situation where you would consider an onside kick you lose the game anyway if the other team recovers. Can you find even one actual situation where field position after an unsuccessful onside kick had/could have had an effect on the outcome of a game?

If this became a rule to prevent onside kicks from happening due to safety or whatever. What about surprise onside kicks? I guess those go out the window as well?

Not if you're playing against us. 4th and 15? We'd never stop that. And even if we did, illegal hands to the face or DPI or D-holding... 1st down.

Guys, if they implement this rule, we'll never get the ball again.

Saints might play in the only game in NFL history where one team never got an offensive snap.

they should just give the FG kicks one.. both teams kickers kick from 50 yards out. Closest to dead center wins the toss. Identical is a re-kick. Just a kicker and holder on the field each side.

Saints might play in the only game in NFL history where one team never got an offensive snap.

nah, they gotta kick off to us once at least. And we'd get the ball on downs or punts from stops. Nobody scores on every drive.
But at the end of the half? or at the end of the game? hmmm...

How many games that are getting out of hand in the first half mysteriously tighten up before halftime already?
How many times have we pointed to the refs appearing to help facilitate that?
This would be the ultimate tool to make that happen almost 100% without fail if/when the refs want to.
And yes as a Saints fan, I've already seen enough "ref help" kill us after Drew makes one of his signature late game winning drives.

Now that I think about it it’s probably better to just flip coins on every play instead of snapping the football. It’s the only way to be sure. The players can just keep flipping and get 10 yards each time they win the toss until one team or the other crosses the goal line. It’s the only way to be sure

Then again a player could pull a hamstring or something when bending down to pick up the coin.

Maybe we should do Rock Paper Scissors instead

Have you gone MAD???
Have you never heard of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
Geez, some people just have no consideration for the welfare of our athletes.?

I wish they would get Madden to make rule changes in a custom game mode for fans to try out for a month and then gather feedback from people and also statistics on conversion rates. I'd be down to try it in a game lol

Eh. I don't know. This rule sounds dumb. Probably just because it's something different and I admittedly don't like change. In all seriousness, I'd think the odds of converting 4th and 15 are a lot better than trying to win an onside kick.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom