Make me feel better re this horrible rumor... (1 Viewer)

The Mongoose

Porkers?
Reaction score
I know that it's not based on any sort of fact, but the result would be so horrific that I couldn't stomach it. So, while every rational part of me realizes that it's baseless, the "look out for the worst case scenario" part of my brain is considering the implications.

A guy knows a guy who is tight with Wilkerson (I know, I know). Apparently, Wilkerson said "don't be surprised if Deuce is not part of the Saints organization after the draft, or at the longest, after this season."

Now, I know that a million different scenarios are possible as to how this was said. 99.999% chance this is pure poppycock.

But I don't even want to consider this. Sure, I trust Sean Payton implicitly, but this is the one move he could do that would destroy my trust in him. I don't want to consider this team without Deuce.

I guess if you look back on last season, you could see times where Sean Payton didn't seem to understand how effective Deuce is, based on how often he was used, etc. Like most people, I chalked it up to Deuce coming off of surgery, etc.

Everything Payton has ever said about Deuce has been favorable, glowing stuff. My instinct is to summarily dismiss this ridiculous bit of gossip.

But, man, it would suck so bad that I can't make myself stop thinking about it.

Somebody tell me it's ridiculous. Reinforce my skepticism.

There he goes again with "Don't be surprised if..."

Once again, I'll pull a Kenny Wilkerson. Don't be surprised if the sun explodes tomorrow. You heard it here first!

With the salary cap going up 36% after this season, money won't be a factor. Deuce will be fully recovered from his knee this year and will give Payton no choice but to keep him.

oh yeah, P.S. -

I hate the whole rumor/speculation/boredom stuff that goes on before the draft an in the offseason. I'm not trying to troll or anything. I know this is a ridiculous scenario, but it's so doomsday that I can't just cut it loose.

So, I apologize for the ridiculousness of it, but I could use a good talking to about it.

Cheers. :)

There is no way Deuce is not with us next season. Beyond that... don't be surprised if Deuce is not with the team after next season. If he gets injured badly early or has a bad season next year and Reggie picks it up, look out Deuce. If Deuce and Reggie both have good years complimenting each other then I think we will be fine keeping them both once again.

I cannot imagine any scenario where we do not have Deuce this coming season.

Sorry... sooner or later Deuce will be gone. All you need to do is look at the salaries for Deuce and Bush... and the long term conclusion becomes clear. Given Deuce's age, salary, injury history, and the fact that we have Bush.... all lead to Deuce not being a Saint in the future. I don't really think that Deuce will be gone this season... but I wouldn't say it's out of the question either. Hell.... the Cheifs are supposedly shopping Larry Johnson. No player is safe... welcome to the modern NFL.

Realistically, the team would enter a salary cap and PR nightmare. Not even some sort of nonsense trade up for Calvin Johnson would make that a good idea.

Deuce stays a Saints guranteed. He is our workhorse and compliments Reggie so well. No way we get rid of him.

Feh.

I can make just as good a case for dealing Reggie to a West Coast team in a couple of years, if the team can manage the cap hit, for a boatload of picks. You figure he might want to play out his contract here and then go home, so you take care of business before you get nothing.

You can play that game with almost any player on the roster.

Those who say Payton doesn't understand how effective Deuce was must have missed the playoff win, and, more importantly, Payton's expressed regret about his own (Deuce lite) playcalling in the Bears game.

Not to mention that Loomis has final say on personnel. If we get an offer we can't refuse, fine, but otherwise.....

Let it go.

Feh.

I can make just as good a case for dealing Reggie to a West Coast team in a couple of years, if the team can manage the cap hit, for a boatload of picks. You figure he might want to play out his contract here and then go home, so you take care of business before you get nothing.

You can play that game with almost any player on the roster.

Those who say Payton doesn't understand how effective Deuce was must have missed the playoff win, and, more importantly, Payton's expressed regret about his own (Deuce lite) playcalling in the Bears game.

Not to mention that Loomis has final say on personnel. If we get an offer we can't refuse, fine, but otherwise.....

Let it go.

my thoughts exactly. I guess I should never have even posted it. I told the guy I heard it from that it was too ridiculous to even consider. But then I couldn't stop thinking about it...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom