Malcolm Jenkins and his future (1 Viewer)

Let me ask you this. Knowing what we know now about Greer and Porter, would you take brian cushing over jenkins right now?

Its really early, but just throwing it out there.

You know, I was just thinking about this yesterday, after watching how this years LB crop (Cushing, Matthews and Laurenitis) have been playing lately. The short term answer is yes. All of those guys have played great and have made a serious impact on their teams. I would love to see any of them in a Saints jersey, even with the solid LB play we have seen from our boys so far.

The long term answer, which is the one I agree with, is no. Jenkins, IMO, will be a star and a fixture in our defensive backfield for many years. It's a beautiful thing that we don't have to rush him into the starting line up too soon. With Porter, Greer and Gay playing so well, Jenkins has the right situation to learn the NFL game without having to be the savior of the defense in his first year.

So with Greer and Porter cementing themselves as starters, what will the long term plans be for Jenkins? I know we didn't spend a top 15 pick and 12 million dollars guaranteed for a nickel corner. I think the coaching staff should start grooming him to play safety when Sharper decides to hang them up. I think he's fast and physical enough to play that position. I like what I've seen from him so far on special teams but it will be tough for him to get on the field on defense the way porter, greer, and gay are playing right now.

What do you guys think?

When you have a strong team roster wise you do pick people in the first round to add depth to your team overall. look at how hard it was to cut down the roster to 53. barring any major injuries do you think guys drafted next year in the 3-7 rounds will walk right in and gain a spot easily. if we drafted 4 guys I would guess about half would make the team and most would do it playing special teamsand playing as back ups.
It is a good problem to have to have your 1st round pick showing great potential and still being 3rd string.

GW has said the most important position on his defense is nickel back. If Jenkins is the nickel back, I have no qualms with that. Even if he can't overtake Porter or Greer, all that means is he'd be the 3rd-best CB out of 3 extremely good CBs.

He is in the perfect situation right now. He is under no pressure to be in a starting position with Greer and Porter playing about as good as anyone can hope for. He can be progressively groomed into becoming whatever GW wants of him, but in the meantime he is making his mark on special teams.

I would really like to see Jenkins in a nickel in the Atlanta game for coverage on Gonzalez. Jenkins has the size and athletic ability to cover him better than our linebackers especially if Fujita is banged up. He can also contribute well to stopping the run from that position.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom