Saints Malcolm Jenkins & Chauncey Gardner-Johnson? (1 Viewer)

Please please please draft/sign someone to at least compete with “lunge tackle/late arrival” extraordinaire #43.

Hopefully Jenkins plays lights out. Wasn’t tackling a weakness of his when he was previously here? Although, it was the majority of the defense at the time. I sure didn’t follow him too much with the Eagles.

he had a slight tendency to get extra low (on his knees at times) while performing lead shoulder tackles. Guys just started leaping over him at times.

I think Malcolm Jenkins is a leader to call audibles in the secondary like Ed Reed was for Baltimore. Demario Davis is the Ray Lewis. Gardner-Johnson was noted for his ability to cover tight ends and the slot at safety/slot corner for Florida. Gardner-Johnson fell to us in the draft and probably should have gone in the second round. I think the Saints will adjust depending on matchups. Athleticism in the slot will favor Gardner-Johnson. A cerebral quarterback like Tom Brady will favor Jenkins. The Saints lack of linebackers will get both of them on the field more. Von Bell was great in the box but a liability in coverage. That is why Bell's contract was underwhelming. I think Jenkins will start. Patrick Robinson and Gardner Johnson will be the primary secondary members to cover the slot. I think Allen will allow more complicated adjustment type defensive plays through Malcolm Jenkins which is something the Saints have not had with such a young secondary before Janoris or Malcom Jenkins came here. Patrick Robinson was one of the only veteran for most of last season. Cap wise Malcolm Jenkins is an all-in for Drew Brees type move. Peyton saw our secondary against the 49ers. He saw Adam Thielen light us up after finally being healthy against the Vikings. Malcolm Jenkins is a trusted player.

I must admit that looks very good on paper. And more importantly than their play is the fact that several of those guys are dogs. We need more of that on our team.
I’d forgotten all about D.J. That guy is a wrecking ball with a mean streak. Very happy they kept him.
I thought D.J. was a SS tho. Maybe I’m wrong and I just had that notion as he hits like a linebacker and plays the box a lot.

he played SS coming out but excelled lasted on at FS with back to back 4 pick seasons/ double digit pass deflections so him along with PJ are really Dual players

My opinion is CJGJ is the starter at SS and Jenkins is the nickel. Defenses play nickel about 70% nowadays (I think... too lazy to look up the stats) so it won’t make that much difference. Once Jenkins, Williams and CJGJ are on the field together they will be used (close to) interchangeably. It’s what makes it a potentially great backfield.

But I also think CJGJ is a budding star and playmaker. He needs to play as much as possible.

Based off what? I cant imagine he saw enough snaps there to be in the running.

I hate playing CGJ out of position. He's a safety. He can be great there.
Why is he out of position? He looked great playing the slot. He can blitz easier from that position and looked good against the run and pass. I’d leave him in that spot.

Thank you

I'm reading the comments and I'm wondering why this is so hard to grasp for everyone. Lol
This right here. :100:

Yep let's take the 2nd best graded Slot Corner of 2019 and make him switch to a different position in Year 2, when there is already a veteran that plays at a very high level already at that position..

Makes complete sense...

I get that he filled in for Vonn 2 games at Safety last season and looked good, you still need a high level Slot Cornerback with how many multiple receiver sets are run.. yes there are other DBs like both Jenkins that have slot versatility and that will be match-up Dependent on a game by game match-up basis; I think at this point you have to pencil CGJ as your opening day starter at Nickelback.

I think Malcolm Jenkins is a leader to call audibles in the secondary like Ed Reed was for Baltimore. Demario Davis is the Ray Lewis. Gardner-Johnson was noted for his ability to cover tight ends and the slot at safety/slot corner for Florida. Gardner-Johnson fell to us in the draft and probably should have gone in the second round. I think the Saints will adjust depending on matchups. Athleticism in the slot will favor Gardner-Johnson. A cerebral quarterback like Tom Brady will favor Jenkins. The Saints lack of linebackers will get both of them on the field more. Von Bell was great in the box but a liability in coverage. That is why Bell's contract was underwhelming. I think Jenkins will start. Patrick Robinson and Gardner Johnson will be the primary secondary members to cover the slot. I think Allen will allow more complicated adjustment type defensive plays through Malcolm Jenkins which is something the Saints have not had with such a young secondary before Janoris or Malcom Jenkins came here. Patrick Robinson was one of the only veteran for most of last season. Cap wise Malcolm Jenkins is an all-in for Drew Brees type move. Peyton saw our secondary against the 49ers. He saw Adam Thielen light us up after finally being healthy against the Vikings. Malcolm Jenkins is a trusted player.
This is why I felt Payton regretted the decision to let Jenkins go and what a major part of the contract to get him back we are paying for - The dude brain. Athleticism on D goes so far. Missed assignments, misdiagnosis, out of position, falling down, lame rush by the Dline, etc. How well does this secondary recover from initial screw ups when the ball is snapped? This is where Jenkins will benefit this D the most.

Which “old man” Jenkins... Malcolm or Janoris?

Both players are somewhat “long in the tooth”.

IMHO, the Saints must find a rookie boundary CB to groom as an eventual starter opposite Lattimore. I really like Jaylon Johnson from Utah
Both.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom