Malcolm Jenkins: "Football is a nonessential business and so we don't need to do it" (1 Viewer)

You think a person saying "my job really isn't that important, perhaps we should take stock of the fact that we're really just playing a game, and put the health of our families and our communities over this game we play" is narcissistic?

That's quite a leap. I'm not really sure how you got from A to B.

We don't really have to debate this. You can have your opinion and I can have mine. Suffice it to say, however, that that is not what I understood his statements to mean. If that's the way he felt, he could simply opt out of playing.

Lots of people are having to make the decision for themselves as to whether life is worth living in face of this risk, particularly about whether they should go to work. It's one thing to say that you do not want to do it. It's quite another thing to suggest your entire company shut down.

To you and I it is a game and entertainment. To thousands of players and staff, it's anything but a game and it provides shelter over one's head, clothes on one's back, and food on the table.

I'm not really sure how this continues to be completely lost upon you.

Judging by the reactions all of your posts are receiving, only one of us is lost on this one, my guy.

We don't really have to debate this. You can have your opinion and I can have mine. Suffice it to say, however, that that is not what I understood his statements to mean. If that's the way he felt, he could simply opt out of playing.

Lots of people are having to make the decision for themselves as to whether life is worth living in face of this risk, particularly about whether they should go to work. It's one thing to say that you do not want to do it. It's quite another thing to suggest your entire company shut down.

- He didn't say the company should shut down.

- As a representative of the NFLPA, he has a responsibility to protect the players' health. As such, by bringing up that the players should perhaps be protected, he is doing his job. If he did not address the safety risks of playing football amongst a global pandemic, he would be failing at his job. From my perspective, you're angry at the man for being concerned about the safety of his and his constituents' families and communities, and for doing his job.

Like you said, there's not much reason to parse through this. I see a man who is using his platform and doing his job by making very true statements about player safety. You see something else. All good.

- He didn't say the company should shut down.

- As a representative of the NFLPA, he has a responsibility to protect the players' health. As such, by bringing up that the players should perhaps be protected, he is doing his job. If he did not address the safety risks of playing football amongst a global pandemic, he would be failing at his job. From my perspective, you're angry at the man for being concerned about the safety of his and his constituents' families and communities, and for doing his job.

Like you said, there's not much reason to parse through this. I see a man who is using his platform and doing his job by making very true statements about player safety. You see something else. All good.
Very fair. Quick question, should he give up his salary and his pro rated signing bonus if he chooses not to play, or is that part of this franchises loss? How does the league handle this?

Very fair. Quick question, should he give up his salary and his pro rated signing bonus if he chooses not to play, or is that part of this franchises loss? How does the league handle this?

I'm not sure exactly how that works. I assume the signing bonus has already been paid. I'd guess he wouldn't be paid for this year. And I'd also guess that sitting out would just push his contract another year into the future - so he'd still owe the Saints four years, it would just be through 2024 instead of 2023. And if he retires early, he'd owe the Saints, I think, a prorated amount of that signing bonus - although I'd be shocked if the Saints made him return it.

But I'm not a cap/contract expert. I think there will end up being a lot of arbitration going on over the next year, because we're sort of in uncharted territory.

I also don't expect him to actually sit out. Nowhere in the statement did he say he intends to sit. He's simply advocating for player safety. He's simply continuing to push player safety to the forefront, which is a good thing. At some point there was a group of NFL fans that thought the players trying to publicize CTE should "shut up and dribble" and now we all know that it's a serious issue that the NFL handled almost criminally. And the NFL has changed policies and rules to reduce CTE. That wouldn't have happened if there weren't a few people who did with CTE what Jenkins is doing now with Covid. I'm guessing he will continue to advocate for player safety long after Covid is in the rearview.

I think he'll end up playing, if there ends up being a season at all. At the end of the day he's a football player. And yeah, he'd be leaving a lot of money on the table if he doesn't play.

Last edited:
I remember when we signed Jenkins I kept on getting txts from people saying " you guys signed the cry baby back ".
I never really understood that until recently.
Yeah I'm definitely second guessing my excitement about the Saints signing him.

He should just retire from the NFL at this point, and become a full-time Activist / Guest Speaker...

I can't see how he can bring anything positive to the team this year - either ON or OFF the field...

He's past his football prime, he will be a constant team distraction, and is more likely to divide the locker room than to be a team leader that can galvanize it...

On top of all that, he's a proven "words louder than actions" - documented sell out - that now has a track record of publicly throwing his HOF QB Team Leader with an unquestionable track record of integrity, empathy, and charity... under the bus in a social media setting, rather than a private meeting with benefit of the doubt, just to gain exposure.

What a disaster of a signing... Geez

(For the Politically Sensitive Posters that just can't seem to read between the forums - I'm not judging him on his take or activism - He has a valid point - I am commenting from simply a Football Performance and Team Chemistry point of view - Which is what this forum is for)
This.

I'm not sure exactly how that works. I assume the signing bonus has already been paid. I'd guess he wouldn't be paid for this year. And I'd also guess that sitting out would just push his contract another year into the future - so he'd still owe the Saints four years, it would just be through 2024 instead of 2023. And if he retires early, he'd owe the Saints, I think, a prorated amount of that signing bonus - although I'd be shocked if the Saints made him return it.

But I'm not a cap/contract expert. I think there will end up being a lot of arbitration going on over the next year, because we're sort of in uncharted territory.

I also don't expect him to actually sit out. Nowhere in the statement did he say he intends to sit. He's simply advocating for player safety. He's simply continuing to push player safety to the forefront, which is a good thing. At some point there was a group of NFL fans that thought the players trying to publicize CTE should "shut up and dribble" and now we all know that it's a serious issue that the NFL handled almost criminally. And the NFL has changed policies and rules to reduce CTE. That wouldn't have happened if there weren't a few people who did with CTE what Jenkins is doing now with Covid. I'm guessing he will continue to advocate for player safety long after Covid is in the rearview.

I think he'll end up playing, if there ends up being a season at all. At the end of the day he's a football player. And yeah, he'd be leaving a lot of money on the table if he doesn't play.

If the games are played and he chooses not to show up, the Saints can start tallying some pretty hefty fines against him. A certain amount per day and a big chunk for each game missed. I think a whole season of that would actually add up to more than his signing bonus.

If the games are played and he chooses not to show up, the Saints can start tallying some pretty hefty fines against him. A certain amount per day and a big chunk for each game missed. I think a whole season of that would actually add up to more than his signing bonus.

Interesting - didn't know that. The only scenario I had for reference was Leveon Bell. Were the Steelers hitting him with fines like that?

I think it's extremely unlikely the Saints would fine him in a scenario where he sat out because of Covid. Like almost nil.

He could always just pull a Kawhi Leonard and fake an injury, although I think Jenkins is too classy for that (and like I said above, I think he'll end up playing if there's a season)

He should just retire from the NFL at this point, and become a full-time Activist / Guest Speaker...

I can't see how he can bring anything positive to the team this year - either ON or OFF the field...

He's past his football prime, he will be a constant team distraction, and is more likely to divide the locker room than to be a team leader that can galvanize it...

On top of all that, he's a proven "words louder than actions" - documented sell out - that now has a track record of publicly throwing his HOF QB Team Leader with an unquestionable track record of integrity, empathy, and charity... under the bus in a social media setting, rather than a private meeting with benefit of the doubt, just to gain exposure.

What a disaster of a signing... Geez

(For the Politically Sensitive Posters that just can't seem to read between the forums - I'm not judging him on his take or activism - He has a valid point - I am commenting from simply a Football Performance and Team Chemistry point of view - Which is what this forum is for)
I understand that some fans feel this way, but they (and you) need to understand that you have no clue as to what you're talking about in the slightest. Jenkins' feelings on the matter is almost certainly directly in line with his teammates. Not only does this mean he is NOT a distraction in the locker room, it means he is a leader in the locker room. [Mod edit - :nono: rude and unnecessary - Seek a higher level of discourse]

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting - didn't know that. The only scenario I had for reference was Leveon Bell. Were the Steelers hitting him with fines like that?

I think it's extremely unlikely the Saints would fine him in a scenario where he sat out because of Covid. Like almost nil.

He could always just pull a Kawhi Leonard and fake an injury, although I think Jenkins is too classy for that (and like I said above, I think he'll end up playing if there's a season)

The rules are different for unrestricted free agents who sign deals. I think Bell was tagged by the Steelers.

Yeah, this is part of the new agreement. However, this was put into place to prevent players from holding out for contract reasons. I am willing to bet that there is a way around it for the purposes of the player's health in the face of a pandemic. If not, I expect there will be. Otherwise a lot of players are suddenly going to be diagnosed with back or hamstring injuries.

This could be the incident that actually unites the NFLPA against the owners finally...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom