Malcolm Jenkins now a CNN commentator (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are all so different. Our lives are so different. Our belief systems are so different. Our religious beliefs/or none are so different. Yet we have come to SR for decades to share a common belief, our Saints. Yes, we have our non-stop petty disagreements, but ultimately we all want the same goal, another winning team and another SB.

These are extreme times. Except for a few Buddhist monks, isolation is a serious problem for us humans. Discrimination of any sort is an important issue to all of us. So is safety, financial security (if there is such a thing), freedom and absolutely health.

Health and the conversation few of us like to have, death, is prominent right now. When threatened, we humans tend to find security in numbers where we take sides as part of a group. Then it becomes Us versus Them which is always a cluster filled with anger, distrust, hatred, fear. Caring, compassion, joint fun seem to go out the window.

These are legit extreme times. Understanding that we all see and experience many things differently will help us through this. And this will pass. We are all the same crazy Who Dat fans we have been, many of us for decades. It will help us individually and help us as a group for all of us to put the "Send" button on temporary hold while realizing that we are all on the same team before posting. We can decide to create unity on SR. Or we can decide to bring in the chaos of the current external world into SR.

Even RG and the league are now aligning with Jenkins, et al - so what is the controversy?

Also last time I looked, Jenkins was human so I imagine ‘his people’ are also human - humans play football
What Venn diagram are you using?
The league is in a serious pickle right now. It is a business and business decisions are always made with the assessment of risks and/or benefits. In this situation, they are bent over a barrel and it is all about getting through this with the least amount of damage. They have owners, employees, and clients, just like any business. Right now the cancel culture is the biggest risk, and I agree with it. Their position may not be wide spread with the owners and may lose support with a portion of their fan base, but it is the only way to go at this moment to minimize the damages. Make no mistake, this business is spending a lot of money on some very high dollar PR consultants to make sure everything they say and do minimizes damages. Don't think that what happened to Brees didn't open their eyes and define their direction.

The league is in a serious pickle right now. It is a business and business decisions are always made with the assessment of risks and/or benefits. In this situation, they are bent over a barrel and it is all about getting through this with the least amount of damage. They have owners, employees, and clients, just like any business. Right now the cancel culture is the biggest risk, and I agree with it. Their position may not be wide spread with the owners and may lose support with a portion of their fan base, but it is the only way to go at this moment to minimize the damages. Make no mistake, this business is spending a lot of money on some very high dollar PR consultants to make sure everything they say and do minimizes damages. Don't think that what happened to Brees didn't open their eyes and define their direction.
I actually think the silence of some high profile owners is screaming loud and clear. I think the owner of Raivens is the only one to issue a statement, and apparently for the first time in his life Jerry Jones can't even say one word.

You are probably right. There is no winning with this one. They are going to lose revenue. They have to take this stance even though it won't be popular with a portion of its fan base and many of the owners, but the owners are the easiest ones. They just want to maximize profits, or in this case, minimize losses. I think a lot of us just don't feel great about the season and how all this went down, even if we agree with the rights of individuals to protest a cause.

I actually think the silence of some high profile owners is screaming loud and clear. I think the owner of Raivens is the only one to issue a statement, and apparently for the first time in his life Jerry Jones can't even say one word.
I totally agree. They can't say a word. No matter what the position, what they say will be twisted by one side or the other. This will not be a record breaking season for sure. Sponsors will also feel the heat. Sometimes the nose has to really be hacked off the spite the face, but I think that is where we are.

I think the theory of cost benefit analysis (risk/reward) is sound
However the practice must recognize the tremendous blind spots people have
And both multimillionaires and elite athletes live VERY cloistered lives
Even athletes from ‘difficult ‘ circumstances have not lived in that environment since high school probably
Now there are some like Demario who make it a point of going from community to community and really listening to what they want/need
He would be an excellent resource/liaison

But going back to the theory, if someone is doing their cost benefit analysis and not compensating for their huge blind spots, then that analysis should be taken with a huge block of salt

You are probably right. There is no winning with this one. They are going to lose revenue. They have to take this stance even though it won't be popular with a portion of its fan base and many of the owners, but the owners are the easiest ones. They just want to maximize profits, or in this case, minimize losses. I think a lot of us just don't feel great about the season and how all this went down, even if we agree with the rights of individuals to protest a cause.
I really don't know about the revenue claim because where we are at right now in terms of public opinion. Most corporations, whether you believe them or not, are making statements in support of the movement right now. The biggest threat to the owner's revenue string right now is the virus because they probably will not be fans in the stand this year. I saw a Forbes article that projected a 5 billion loss if the season proceeds with no fans. I understand a certain portion of the league's fan base may not favor the protest but I doubt it will stop them from watching games. My personal view is that some owners just want to maintain the status quo.

How can you not be happy for Jenkins. He's a well spoken person who usually has measured comments and thought provoking insights. I think he will represent the Saints with honor and class. I wish him well.

But first he needs to help us win it all this season.

This has been a rough year. We should be getting paid for being live contestants on The American Horror Story.

My concern with Jenkins is that he didn't want to hear Drew's opinion, he wanted to hear his opinion coming out of Drew's mouth. This could have been handled with a phone call instead of blasting him on social media. Regardless, I have some concerns that tensions will be high in the locker room for the Saints

No talk from any of the players about how their off season training is coming along also has me worried when the players report that their focus will still be on this race issue that is transpiring

1 poster: that gentleman would like to breathe
other poster: i have a counterpoint

yes, it's depressing
Wrong. I think Floyd was murdered. You think in binary terms. What's your counterpoint?

By now, choosing not to acknowledge that all of this is about race related human rights is pretty silly. Whenever one finally realizes that they've fallen on the wrong side of the discussion, that will more than likely be the reason you did.

To be clear: If you take the position that sports or pretty much ANYTHING else is more important than human rights issues, without tossing labels around, you're part of the reason those human rights issues persist.
Of course human rights are not more important than football, and I wouldn't mind if he went to work full time for CNN, but being a CNN commentator, could make him a worse football player and impact our whole team, and that's why we disapprove. If he's only going to comment a few times, then it may not be a problem, but if he signed on as a commentator, then I presume he will be on frequently, and I don't know how that isn't going to have a negative affect on the team.

I want racial equality, but we don't all agree on how we get there. Some think we should end all racial preferences, while some think we need more. Some think we should abolish the police, while some think we may need more. Each of these sides can improve conditions for all. Jenkins may not be willing to compromise. He may think he knows best, and everyone else is entitled and doesn't understand. I know cable television likes controversy. I know Jenkins isn't shy about controversy. Can you see how there will be a high likelihood of controversy, even from people of good will?
are you hoping to address racial equality by avoiding controversy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom