Malcolm Jenkins Passionate response to Drew Brees! (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jenkins told Brees to shut the fork up.

Please show me where Brees told anyone to shut the fork up regarding protests, or to shut the fork up regarding racial justice, or to shut the fork up regarding police brutality.

*Citations missing

He called it disrespect. Which is basically the same thing. If you believe somethiing is disrespectful, you probably want it to stop.
In school, if you told a teacher they were showing disrespect then told the teacher to shut the fork up would the punishment be the same?

He never denied that, in fact he supported it, and his teammates in their pursuit for justice. He merely stated that in his opinion he doesn't respect kneeling for the national anthem. People are outraged, and that's okay, but his comments are his right. They don't make him a bad person. I hope reform occurs, but the hate is unjustified in this situation.
No, he was asked about their grievences carrying over into the football season and decided to use that as a springboard to explain why their method of protest was morally wrong and he was morally right, saying nothing of empathy toward the current grievances informing his teammates potential personal moral decisions to act differently.

He just also doesn't believe we should kneel for the anthem as it would seem to show disrespect for the American ideal.

Isn't part of that ideal that all men are created equal, and that people have an inalienable right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?

What happens when men aren't equal, and those rights become alienable for a group of people?

Last edited:
In school, if you told a teacher they were showing disrespect then told the teacher to shut the fork up would the punishment be the same?
Brees isn't the teacher. Brees is still a classmate. There would have been no punishment.

Jenkins told Brees to shut the fork up.

Please show me where Brees told anyone to shut the fork up regarding protests, or to shut the fork up regarding racial justice, or to shut the fork up regarding police brutality.
You can disagree, but I interpreted that as MJ telling Brees: "You don't get, you need to sit this one out."

It’s only plastered all over the internet and in this thread multiple times, but here you go. Last sentence.

In that context, I’m fine with it then.

He’s saying with the emotion on behalf of 400 years of enslavement, oppression, systemic violence, and inequality that instead of rushing to criticize people at their wits end, Brees should listen, not jump to overlay his personal moral code on top of people he refuses to consider their perspective of matters.

Toward you though, like a lot of you I suddenly see, it is hard to take seriously those that said nothing for weeks about George Floyd‘s disgusting execution at the hands of the state but come rushing out the woodworks to criticize black people for their forms of outrage at a system and culture that allows their race’s unjust murder and treatment to perpetuate.

well, that will teach me to turn on the news... you know the world is upside down when drew is catching crap in the media.

the internal strife will all be over by the time the season comes around... it's a nothing burger.

rp

Last edited:
What do you call what Brees is doing exactly? What you are endorsing? Which is essentially to take a personal moral posture and ascribe immorality to anyone failing to adhere to it?

The only one in this situation ascribing moral failing to a lack of appropriate signaling has been Brees. Who says everyone should stand and goes out of his way to let people know he takes issue if they don’t.

These are Jenkins words, I find no fault here:

"To think that because your grandfathers served this country and you have a great respect for your flag that everyone else should have the same ideals and thoughts that you do is ridiculous, and it shows that you don't know history. Because when our grandfathers fought for this country and served and they came back, they didn't come back to a hero's welcome. They came back and got attacked for wearing their uniforms. They came back to people, to racism, to complete violence."
"And here we are with the world on fire and you continue to first criticize how we peacefully protest because it doesn't fit with what you do and your beliefs without ever acknowledging the fact that a man was murdered at the hands of police in front of us all and it has been continuing for centuries. That the same brothers that you break the huddle down with every single game, the same guys that you bleed with and go to battle with every single day go home to communities that have been decimated. Drew, unfortunately ... unfortunately, you're somebody who doesn't understand their privilege."

He is not saying you better kneel, he is saying that your reactionary need to criticize us for failing to adhere to your moral standards, moral standards we rightfully don’t share due to our own personal experiences, which are every bit as valid, while saying nothing of that experience, contradicts your assertion of being an ally as it functionally serves to try and invalidate our feelings and grievances for attacking our lack of moral obedience.

Everyone is entitled to have their feelings and opinions. I don't know if I could "fault" Jenkins or anyone for legally and peacefully expressing their emotions, ideals, or thoughts. That's the 1st amendment. I also believe, that by design, the African American has been at a great disadvantage from the moment they were enslaved and brought to America. Not two generations ago, they did not have the same rights. You don't have to be black to be outraged over the injustice - the systematic injustice from education to housing to healthcare to job opportunities - that have existed from the word go. I can't tell you what it feels like, but I can empathize.

But I do think, in his emotion, Jenkins is misguided and missed the mark. Why is the "world on fire" and "peacefully protest" in the same sentence? One disproves the other. How many people, regardless of skin color, didn't have a hero's welcome and were attacked for wearing their uniforms? That wasn't a black problem - that happened across the board to all soldiers in the path of "protestors".

"Somebody who doesn't understand their privilege" is another phrase I take issue with. That it is a "privelege" to be born of any skin color I find a very racist statement. Drew Brees didn't make any statement whatsoever about race.

I also take issue with YOUR words. If your or Jenkins' "moral standard" and "moral obedience" code justifies desecrating, looting, arson, and unlawful criminal activity that the so called "woke" community calls "peaceful protest" ... if under that code those actions aren't considered evil, wrong, disrespectful, & abhorrent, I'd say that flies in the face of everything this country stands for and every lawful principal. We don't live in North Korea or Cuba or China or Iraq or any number of places where we have no recourse. We live in the only country that says every man is created equal, that gives every law abiding citizen the PRIVILEGE to choose it's representatives, to lawfully assemble and protest, to express any opinion, to campaign for an ideal or belief, to worship and teach whatever we chose.

When did the flag - the symbol of our nation, our constitution, our bill of rights - when did it become something that represented racism and inequality? Do tell. When did the very foundation, the very laws and amendments that give us these said priveleges all of the sudden become something we should disrespect and protest in an effort to see implemented the very rights they already decree? Simply, how is saying “I will never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag of the United States of America or our country" any slight against those peacefully protesting for the very rights the flag and the united states represent?

If Jenkins or Lebron or any politician think anyone and everyone should agree with people who disrespect those values, perhaps they should use their privilege to elect someone who shares their views. Maybe the problem is that they did, and got exactly what they wanted. Afterall, the cities all this violence, rioting, looting, and arson have occurred in are the very cities that have refused to uphold the law and frustrate any attempt to allow the military or their own police to defend innocent people and property. They're the same cities that are freeing anyone arrested without bail and without criminal charge.

But lets go back to the rest of what Jenkins said. Do you remember when the kneeling started? For the first 3 months, every player who was asked what they were kneeling for had a different answer. The narrative wasn't quite formed yet. Only when the President criticized it did the narrative unify and change. Explain to me, because perhaps I'm dense, how kneeling during the anthem, as opposed to standing to honor all those who've come before you and fought and sacrificed to ensure you have the unalienable rights we all believe in, how does that not appear disrespectful? I believe the purpose was for someone to ask "why did you do that" and begin honest conversation and dialogue about whatever it is you wish to peacefully protest against, that it was intended to make a statement. I get that. But for the person(s) committing an act that intentionally shows disrespect (in order to protest something, peacefully) to take issue with anyone for believing the very act was disrespectful - that's dishonest and hypocritical. Just the same as calling the "world on fire", looting, vandalizing, and committing acts of violence against fellow citizens "peaceful protests" is dishonest and hypocritical.

Pallets of bricks, buses and vans marked as medical units found full of rioting gear, 2x4's, crowbars, molotov cocktails, and things of that nature are being shipped to and staged at these cities by groups funded by people like George Soros. How is any of that furthering what is being protested? How is any of that respectful? How is any of that something a law abiding citizen who believes in the bill of rights should agree with? I don't follow the logic. I don't follow how Jenkins and Lebron and ____ can claim Drew Brees is insensitive to the plight of the black man because he said he will never agree with anyone who disrespects the flag or the united states. How does that statement - how do the flag and the united states / constitutional rights equate to the opposite of what they represent?

Everyone is entitled to have their feelings and opinions. I don't know if I could "fault" Jenkins or anyone for legally and peacefully expressing their emotions, ideals, or thoughts. That's the 1st amendment. I also believe, that by design, the African American has been at a great disadvantage from the moment they were enslaved and brought to America. Not two generations ago, they did not have the same rights. You don't have to be black to be outraged over the injustice - the systematic injustice from education to housing to healthcare to job opportunities - that have existed from the word go. I can't tell you what it feels like, but I can empathize.

But I do think, in his emotion, Jenkins is misguided and missed the mark. Why is the "world on fire" and "peacefully protest" in the same sentence? One disproves the other. How many people, regardless of skin color, didn't have a hero's welcome and were attacked for wearing their uniforms? That wasn't a black problem - that happened across the board to all soldiers in the path of "protestors".

"Somebody who doesn't understand their privilege" is another phrase I take issue with. That it is a "privelege" to be born of any skin color I find a very racist statement. Drew Brees didn't make any statement whatsoever about race.

I also take issue with YOUR words. If your or Jenkins' "moral standard" and "moral obedience" code justifies desecrating, looting, arson, and unlawful criminal activity that the so called "woke" community calls "peaceful protest" ... if under that code those actions aren't considered evil, wrong, disrespectful, & abhorrent, I'd say that flies in the face of everything this country stands for and every lawful principal. We don't live in North Korea or Cuba or China or Iraq or any number of places where we have no recourse. We live in the only country that says every man is created equal, that gives every law abiding citizen the PRIVILEGE to choose it's representatives, to lawfully assemble and protest, to express any opinion, to campaign for an ideal or belief, to worship and teach whatever we chose.

When did the flag - the symbol of our nation, our constitution, our bill of rights - when did it become something that represented racism and inequality? Do tell. When did the very foundation, the very laws and amendments that give us these said priveleges all of the sudden become something we should disrespect and protest in an effort to see implemented the very rights they already decree? Simply, how is saying “I will never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag of the United States of America or our country" any slight against those peacefully protesting for the very rights the flag and the united states represent?

If Jenkins or Lebron or any politician think anyone and everyone should agree with people who disrespect those values, perhaps they should use their privilege to elect someone who shares their views. Maybe the problem is that they did, and got exactly what they wanted. Afterall, the cities all this violence, rioting, looting, and arson have occurred in are the very cities that have refused to uphold the law and frustrate any attempt to allow the military or their own police to defend innocent people and property. They're the same cities that are freeing anyone arrested without bail and without criminal charge.

But lets go back to the rest of what Jenkins said. Do you remember when the kneeling started? For the first 3 months, every player who was asked what they were kneeling for had a different answer. The narrative wasn't quite formed yet. Only when the President criticized it did the narrative unify and change. Explain to me, because perhaps I'm dense, how kneeling during the anthem, as opposed to standing to honor all those who've come before you and fought and sacrificed to ensure you have the unalienable rights we all believe in, how does that not appear disrespectful? I believe the purpose was for someone to ask "why did you do that" and begin honest conversation and dialogue about whatever it is you wish to peacefully protest against, that it was intended to make a statement. I get that. But for the person(s) committing an act that intentionally shows disrespect (in order to protest something, peacefully) to take issue with anyone for believing the very act was disrespectful - that's dishonest and hypocritical. Just the same as calling the "world on fire", looting, vandalizing, and committing acts of violence against fellow citizens "peaceful protests" is dishonest and hypocritical.

Pallets of bricks, buses and vans marked as medical units found full of rioting gear, 2x4's, crowbars, molotov cocktails, and things of that nature are being shipped to and staged at these cities by groups funded by people like George Soros. How is any of that furthering what is being protested? How is any of that respectful? How is any of that something a law abiding citizen who believes in the bill of rights should agree with? I don't follow the logic. I don't follow how Jenkins and Lebron and ____ can claim Drew Brees is insensitive to the plight of the black man because he said he will never agree with anyone who disrespects the flag or the united states. How does that statement - how do the flag and the united states / constitutional rights equate to the opposite of what they represent?
Nobody is saying the flag is a symbol of racism. During the anthem is when they are all on TV. It's the best time to protest with all eyes on them. If it were about the flag, I think someone would have told us by now lol

As far as I can see, nobody disrespected the flag. Kneeling is not a sign of disrespect in any other situation. Brees is choosing to be offended. Sounds like he is more worried about a flag than black lives. And that is the problem.

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom