Malcolm Roach Unnecessary Roughness on McCaffery (1 Viewer)

SaintsFan11

Semper annus alter erit.
Reaction score
Did I miss a rule change? How was Roach’s hit on McCaffery unnecessary roughness? He was not a defenseless player. He was running the ball. How many time have our RBs been hit much more maliciously without a penalty being called?

Frankly, even if there’s a rule that technically makes the hit a penalty, I don’t believe that it should’ve been called. McCaffery didn’t even think it was going to be a call, and he wasn’t lobbying for one.

But was it even technically a penalty? What happened to the distinction between defenseless and non-defenseless players?

Technically, it was a correct call, though I don't believe he intentionally speared him.
It looked to me that he tried to go in with his right shoulder, but by the time they collided, his head ended up hitting him as well. I find the rule a little ridiculous since it seems to say that somehow a defender is expected to remove his own head from his shoulders when trying to make a tackle.

The other two calls mentioned were pathetically wrong, as was the defensive offsides penalty when the Panthers' OG actually moved.

Technically, it was a correct call, though I don't believe he intentionally speared him.
It looked to me that he tried to go in with his right shoulder, but by the time they collided, his head ended up hitting him. I find the rule a little ridiculous since it seems to say that somehow a defender is expected to remove his own head from his shoulders when trying to make a tackle.
I’ve tried to not remember too much from yesterday, but I’m pretty sure he lowered his head - that’s always going to be called

I’ve tried to not remember too much from yesterday, but I’m pretty sure he lowered his head - that’s always going to be called
Okay, but how does one lower his shoulder without his head lowering as well?
It's basically impossible physically unless one pulls his head backward to expose his neck, which is extremely dangerous to the tackler.
I don't mean leaning the head forward down toward the chest (which I don't believe he did when I looked at the play); I just mean that when the shoulder is lowered, if your head remains on the same "plane" it lowers as well.

It's basically impossible physically unless one pulls his head backward to expose his neck, which is extremely dangerous to the tackler.
I don't mean leaning the head forward down toward the chest (which I don't believe he did when I looked at the play); I just mean that when the shoulder is lowered, if your head remains on the same "plane" it lowers as well.
Go gadget go! For those that remember, 🤣

I think you're right that pulling the head backward is dangerous, but that is what is expected. Leaving the head down is also dangerous, and I think the NFL has deemed that pulling the head back to essentially hit with your facemask is the least dangerous of the 2. I'm not sure it is less dangerous, but I don't recall a player getting injured by pulling his head back as he tackles, whereas there have been many injuries, including long term ones, associated with hitting with the crown.

What I have a real problem with is consistency. I saw 3 hits in the Seattle game where Seattle tried to take the QBs head slap off his body. No penalty. Yet in our game if the QB got breathed on it was a penalty on either team

Roach crowned 22 unfortunately. When I first saw it I thought it was an unfair ‘late hit’ kind of call. He lowered his head to spear 22 which has been a penalty for a long time.
I remember seeing Deon Jones run from 15-20 yards away and earhole AK41 as he was being held up on a tackle a couple years ago… giving AK41 a concussion and ending his day. No flag.

It looked to me that he tried to go in with his right shoulder, but by the time they collided, his head ended up hitting him as well. I find the rule a little ridiculous since it seems to say that somehow a defender is expected to remove his own head from his shoulders when trying to make a tackle.

The other two calls mentioned were pathetically wrong, as was the defensive offsides penalty when the Panthers' OG actually moved.
The home field advantage.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom