Man, I didn't know this about the Falcons (1 Viewer)

David Robbins

Ole Miss Rocks!
Reaction score
Atlanta Falcons
The Atlanta Falcons went 7-9 last year and had a very eventful offseason. For starters, the Falcons cut a ton of veteran players. Longtime stout cornerback Desmond Trufant is gone. Former draft picks Vic Beasley and De’Vondre Campbell are gone, along with Austin Hooper, Wes Schweitzer, Devonta Freeman, and Adrian Clayborn. Although it makes sense why some of these moves were made, it’s still a lot to replace. To replace Freeman, the team took a gamble and signed enigma running back Todd Gurley II. They traded for Hayden Hurst to help soften the loss of Hooper. Pass rusher Dante Fowler was brought in after his best season as a pro. And finally, they drafted A.J. Terrell in round one hoping that he can start day one at cornerback.

Their big three of Ryan, Julio Jones, and Calvin Ridley remain Atlanta’s biggest strength. These three alone will win them some games. But If Atlanta wants a chance at being truly competitive, these three will have to carry them. Head coach Dan Quinn was almost fired in 2019 but was kept for one last chance to prove himself. The defensive side of the ball is Quinn’s calling card, but the defense finished with the third least sacks in 2019 and gave up the tenth most points per game. Entering this year, Quinn needs his top defenders Deion Jones and Keanu Neal to remain healthy. Neal specifically has only played four games in the last two seasons. For Atlanta to exceed middling expectations, the defense needs to stay healthy, the defensive and offensive lines need to improve greatly from a year ago, and Gurley needs to be a positive addition.

Man, they have lost a lot of great and very good players. Replaced them with mostly young and unproven guys. They may now be on par with Carolina! Yes!!!!!!

They made major changes for salary cap, you can't pay everybody. It was a good time for them to start making moves this year as they would find it difficult to make the playoff with the player they let go because of the Saints and Tampa Bay presence. The Saints will have some big decisions in the next 2 years concerning their roster salary cap.

You don't go 1-7 and end up 7-9. ATL has talent, but awful coaching.
Agreed. Atlanta has the talent to be really competitive. Ryan, as much as we mock aspects of his game, is a really solid QB with great chemistry with Ridley and Jones. If they sort out the defense, they will win some games.

The NFC south, with all of its changes this year, is really going to be interesting. I can see Tampa improving due to the Brady/Gronk effect, I can see Carolina improving with the new coach effect, I can see us holding serve as we’ve kept the core of our talent intact and made a few improvements via free agency and draft — Atlanta is the head scratcher to me.

They might be good or they might be terrible.

It seems that they end up being good when people expect them to be terrible. So maybe they will be good this year. Who knows, right?

What great players did they lose? Falcons defense was better after Trufant went down with injury. Beasley is at best a situational pass rusher & been a huge disappointment since he led the league in sacks. Campbell may rack up tackles but is horrible...Freeman had declined & was horrible last year.

Hooper is the biggest loss but the Falcons offense was fine when he was injured last year. Hurst could breakout with more opportunities.

Last edited:
Don’t root against them to hard this yr. if they end up getting the number 1 pick we will be playing Trevor Lawrence for years to come

Don’t root against them to hard this yr. if they end up getting the number 1 pick we will be playing Trevor Lawrence for years to come

they will not be that bad. They could finish as high as second in the division. Hopefully do just well enough for them to tell Quinn "let's try this one more time"

they will not be that bad. They could finish as high as second in the division. Hopefully do just well enough for them to tell Quinn "let's try this one more time"
Yah I agree. I don’t even want them in the top 10

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom