Man... Jimmy Graham looks like he is playing in slow-mo. (1 Viewer)

Graham has not looked the same since 2014 when he was hurt.

I really don't miss Graham being on this team. Brees was married to him when it came to his favorite target on the field.

Anyone remember the 2013 losses? Teams started zoning and double covering Graham, cause they knew Brees was going to go to him. The Rams kicked our butts that year by applying this strategy on defense.

We've evolved our offense and can actually run the ball routinely like an old school Smashmouth offense. I don't miss having Graham and that whole show.

We have a true #1 receiver now in Michael Thomas. I'd rather have him than Graham.

IMO I think Graham was a true product of this system. Seattle didn't know how to use him right, except for goal line situations. He's old and washed up now. The Packers were crazy not to resign Jordy Nelson, whom was Rodgers' favorite wide receiver for his whole career. At worst, they could've at least tried to get another receiver as good as him.

I I think Jimmy problem started when started to disappear in big games. He used to beat players with ease on his elite athleticism. He never was technical like a Thomas or Colston. He was very feast or famine because of it. He never developed an elite receiver skill set and it showed in Seattle and Green Bay. When you don't have the best minds to make your life easier. It really brings to light how much of Jimmy was a Sean Payton chess piece than a elite football player in body and mind. Which goes without saying for a player that never really played football till he got drafted.

Good point here, but also have to point out something....

The 2011 playoff loss to SF - that hail mary bomb he caught on our last score, could've easily been batted down.

Colston had a better game than Graham, though you wouldn't know this from looking at the highlights.

That hail mary he caught was the only reason we were in a position to win in the end.

Good point here, but also have to point out something....

The 2011 playoff loss to SF - that hail mary bomb he caught on our last score, could've easily been batted down.

Colston had a better game than Graham, though you wouldn't know this from looking at the highlights.

That hail mary he caught was the only reason we were in a position to win in the end.
I wasn’t able to watch that game. Had to listen in the car on radio. Never heard of a Hail Mary in that game so had to look it up. You define this play as a Hail Mary?

I cannot remember ever being so shocked in regards to football than when l read about the JG trade, was so angry at the time, l loved the guy.
Now l see how much Unger does for the team, and how the first round pick we got for him panned out and am very happy to be wrong.
I guess this is why l wonder around with a clipboard counting stuff for a living and why SP is head coach of the Saints :)

Summed up perfectly. I’d like to add that’s Jimmy was a star here and he knew it, so much so that he even said he wouldn’t play for another QB other than Brees, though we all know that was a lie. Now look at him, he’s basically an average to below average TE. I’m sorry but as an athlete you play to win and compete. Once you chase the money your careers starts to suck like his. Not saying all do but the majority. I loved Graham here, but he made his bed and with that attitude I’m glad he’s supbar. Don’t tell me about money garbage, these guys make millions. Millions! I’d play with Brees for league minimum and retire with him cause he’d make me better than people see me as, i.e graham. His bad....no sympathy here

Jimmy got traded from the Saints and signed a contract offered to him this year by another team. I have no idea how you can compare yourself to Graham, but you're calling a man a liar for being traded and not quitting.

That's stupid.

We have totally replaced his red zone production. Would it surprise you to know that the Saints' red zone TD percentage this year is substaintially higher than any year Jimmy played for the Saints?

Good point! Thanks. I'd actually intended to clarify that we haven't replaced his red zone production from the tight end position.

Regardless, I'm glad to see statistically we are kicking butt in the red zone.

Jimmy got traded from the Saints and signed a contract offered to him this year by another team. I have no idea how you can compare yourself to Graham, but you're calling a man a liar for being traded and not quitting.

That's stupid.
You completely misunderstood my point but that’s ok

I wasn’t able to watch that game. Had to listen in the car on radio. Never heard of a Hail Mary in that game so had to look it up. You define this play as a Hail Mary?

66 yards is definitely a hail mary, yes.

Do we move down the field on that drive? It was a prayer and a miracle that he caught it.

Do we move down the field on that drive? It was a prayer and a miracle that he caught it.
Lol it was a 24 yard pass tho. Just opinion and I find it odd.

Man. It seems you guys are undervaluing the importance of having Ben Watson back. Everyone was shocked and upset when Graham was traded. In the short term, it did hurt us. But looking back now and seeing our success, it was a trade that very few people, outside the Saints fan base, thinks it was a very important trade that resulted in our success now.

When Watson wasn't resigned, I was upset. He just came out from his best season. The team fooled themselves by signing Fleener because they thought he could bring that "Jimmy Graham" type production back. Horrible idea.

When the idea of Jimmy coming back here, it got me nervous. I say about 3 quarters of the people here on this board wanted to sign him. His asking price was way off and people still wanted him signed. I am the one that wanted him signed but ONLY if he allows a team friendly contract, which obviously he signed somewhere else. The thought of Graham back in this offense would of been great. But I suddenly had mix feelings about it because I don't want his presence to sacrifice the running game and everything we did to become successful in 2017. When he decided to go somewhere else, I was pretty much relieve by it.

Then the news of Ben Watson coming in for a visit and I wanted him sign so badly. I always felt he was so underrated and sometimes so under utilized. He just fit better. Have you seen Ben catches this year? Some of them are amazing and great catches for first down. Ben can have that "Jimmy Graham" production if the team want to. He is stronger and looks bigger. Just doesn't have the hops like Graham. But, in my opinion, Ben has better hands.

I say this now...If Ben wants to come back, please sign him back and draft a good tight end. And if Jimmy is cut this offseason and agree to sign for cheap with us, I say heck no to that too.

He looks even slower than what he did in Seattle. I’ve been shocked at how clunky his gate has become. He runs like he’s in a vat of Piccadilly’s cornbread dressing. It’s painful to watch.

Honestly, had he come back here, Sean would have made him look like close to a top end TE. His diminishing speed would have been hidden with matchups and scheming. His drops probably would have been corrected by Curtis. And, most importantly, I think his passion for the game would’ve been reignited because he would be in a familiar family environment.

Nowhere he’s been since he was traded loved him like us. No organization he’s been in since he left has he loved like us. New Orleans is just different. You feel her absence when you are separated from her.

Next season - should both GB and Jimmy decide to part ways- it wouldn’t surprise if he and the Saints finally reunite for one last ride. And, as someone who loved him as a former Saint, I’d cheer him on just as passionately should he return.

Side note- I’ve never played a down of pro football, but I have to ask you fellas: do receivers (WRs, Te’s) normally go to IR or miss significant games over a thumb? I can see a quarterback, but I could’ve sworn I had watched receivers play with casts on their hands before.

If this is common, excuse my ignorance. But, if most players still go on to play despite that injury, then this wouldn’t be a good way to erase the “soft” label Jimmy has been plagued by.

Yeah that's not really a "Hail Mary"............and even if Jimmy hadn't caught it, there would have still been like 1:43 left (along with 1 timeout remaining), and it would have been second down. Not exactly an "all or nothing" situation.........and, quite honestly, we'd have probably been better off if Graham had gotten tackled immediately after catching it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom