Man scammed out of his Camaro (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Ethan Hines remains without his 2018 Camaro after selling it to someone he met on Facebook Marketplace.

However, the $750 monthly payment is still his responsibility.

"There is no positive outcome in this for me, and I did nothing wrong, I feel like I am being punished for someone else's crime," Hines told First Coast News.

The $49,000 check from the buyer cleared Hines' account with VyStar. He received a letter explaining his loan was paid in full.

Four days later, the check bounced, leaving him with no car but on the hook for the loan's balance. He doesn't feel he should be required to pay it.

"It would be easier, but it's not the right way to go," he said.

He filed a police report, which detectives say the buyer's story and Facebook profile were 'fictitious.' There have not been any arrests.

Hines says his credit score dropped about 200 points.

We sent Hines' contact information to VyStar which said it would look into his case, but he says he's gotten no calls..............

Ethan Hines remains without his 2018 Camaro after selling it to someone he met on Facebook Marketplace.

However, the $750 monthly payment is still his responsibility.

"There is no positive outcome in this for me, and I did nothing wrong, I feel like I am being punished for someone else's crime," Hines told First Coast News.

The $49,000 check from the buyer cleared Hines' account with VyStar. He received a letter explaining his loan was paid in full.

Four days later, the check bounced, leaving him with no car but on the hook for the loan's balance. He doesn't feel he should be required to pay it.

"It would be easier, but it's not the right way to go," he said.

He filed a police report, which detectives say the buyer's story and Facebook profile were 'fictitious.' There have not been any arrests.

Hines says his credit score dropped about 200 points.

We sent Hines' contact information to VyStar which said it would look into his case, but he says he's gotten no calls..............

am confused
so he got the check, sent it to his bank, his bank said everything's cool - he turned over the car - bank then says, 'hold up, eveything's not cool, check was bad so you still owe us money even though we said everything's cool'

is that how y'all are reading this?

am confused
so he got the check, sent it to his bank, his bank said everything's cool - he turned over the car - bank then says, 'hold up, eveything's not cool, check was bad so you still owe us money even though we said everything's cool'

is that how y'all are reading this?

yes.

Check "clearing" isnt instantaneous. For instance, Metairie Bank takes up to a WEEK - check is "valid" ( aka good ) but until it CLEARS ( aka money transferred ) from buyer bank to Vystar, well....

I can almost assure you that the check showed up "pending" in on-line banking...not cleared...pending.

Im sure the letter was computer generated when Vystar removed the load pending clearance of the check. Not sure what culpability they bear ( if any ) for sending out erroneous letter, but i cant imagine they do.

I still gotta know how one leaves a dealership with a $750/mo car note like " ok i got a good deal "

Can't he just file an insurance claim since the car was stolen?

Do people usually have to keep paying for cars that were stolen?

Yeah I would stop making those payments immediately. His credit is already toast.

yes.

Check "clearing" isnt instantaneous. For instance, Metairie Bank takes up to a WEEK - check is "valid" ( aka good ) but until it CLEARS ( aka money transferred ) from buyer bank to Vystar, well....

I can almost assure you that the check showed up "pending" in on-line banking...not cleared...pending.
so the victim is overselling a bit?

Who accepts payment by check from a stranger anyway?! Money order at the very least.
one of the reasons i'm so bad with money is that i think everything is a scam - there is no way i would do this without every money person on EE telling me it's legit and the president of the back call me personally and tell me it's all good

Who accepts payment by check from a stranger anyway?! Money order at the very least.

Your first sentence was my first thought.

However, a certified check from a bank would have been the way to go......unless he planned to accept 49 money orders in amounts of $1,000. And good luck trying to deposit all that without the IRS being notified.

so the victim is overselling a bit?

In lieu of victim-blaming, I elect to say that he got hit with LOCST.

Lack of Common Sense Taxation.

one of the reasons i'm so bad with money is that i think everything is a scam - there is no way i would do this without every money person on EE telling me it's legit and the president of the back call me personally and tell me it's all good
It’s legit. Now send me the money cuz I’m a money person

yes.

Im sure the letter was computer generated when Vystar removed the load pending clearance of the check. Not sure what culpability they bear ( if any ) for sending out erroneous letter, but i cant imagine they do.

I still gotta know how one leaves a dealership with a $750/mo car note like " ok i got a good deal "
Could be a shorter-term loan with a good interest rate, but in this case I somehow doubt it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom