mannings legacy (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Recently there was a post on canal street chronicles asking if there was a mount rushmore for the saints, who would be on it. Now this is a very interesting question. Who would you pick? Would it be someone with outrageous stats or someone beloved in the saints community? Myself, I would go with, Archie Manning, Drew Brees, Rickey Jackson, and Deuce McCalister. The way I look at it, it's who are popular or beloved, not who had the greatest stats. On a recent chronic podcast, all four hosts, who I like very much, all pretty much reduced archie to a footnote in saints history. I'll be honest, Archie is my favorite saint of all time. Even though he played on some of the worst teams in nfl history. He's a major part of our history as a team. I'm a long time suffering saints fan. I've been watching since the Archie days, so maybe i'm biased. I guess i'm in the minority, but I take it most saints fans don't look back on Archie with fondness. This has floored me. Archie was a great player on a bad team. You put him on the 2009 team, and I think they still win the super bowl. By the time the 1-15 season came around, I think he was done mentally. He had sustained so many hits and no success, that he might've checked out. Am I alone in my love for the father of the manning dynasty?

Chad

Recently there was a post on canal street chronicles asking if there was a mount rushmore for the saints, who would be on it. Now this is a very interesting question. Who would you pick? Would it be someone with outrageous stats or someone beloved in the saints community? Myself, I would go with, Archie Manning, Drew Brees, Rickey Jackson, and Deuce McCalister. The way I look at it, it's who are popular or beloved, not who had the greatest stats. On a recent chronic podcast, all four hosts, who I like very much, all pretty much reduced archie to a footnote in saints history. I'll be honest, Archie is my favorite saint of all time. Even though he played on some of the worst teams in nfl history. He's a major part of our history as a team. I'm a long time suffering saints fan. I've been watching since the Archie days, so maybe i'm biased. I guess i'm in the minority, but I take it most saints fans don't look back on Archie with fondness. This has floored me. Archie was a great player on a bad team. You put him on the 2009 team, and I think they still win the super bowl. By the time the 1-15 season came around, I think he was done mentally. He had sustained so many hits and no success, that he might've checked out. Am I alone in my love for the father of the manning dynasty?

Chad

I like your four. They are all very beloved by the fans!

you'd have to include Brees, Deuce, Payton, and Manning

I was a young fan during the Archie days. He was a class act on a team lacking class and talent. He has to be on our Mt. Rushmore. He stills lives in New Orleans and has always been a great ambassador for the team and the city. Of course, his loyalties lie with the teams Eli And Peyton play for, but had the Colts not been our opponents in SB 44, I think he would have been right out there publicly rooting for the Saints. Who knows; maybe deep down inside he wasn't all that upset to see his former team win. Peyton already had a ring so he may have found the victory more than just a little bittersweet.

By the time the 1-15 season came around, I think he was done mentally. He had sustained so many hits and no success, that he might've checked out.

I don't think this is an accurate assessment of Archie's performance that season. I know a lot of people heap blame on him for that season, but if you look at his stats, he actually had some of the best stats of his entire career that year. Now, admittedly, he also had a high number of INTs that year as well, but the real culprit of thye 1-15 season was the Flex Defense (yet another reason to hate Dallas) rather than anything to do with the offense, which actually put up very respectable numbers. Problem was they just couldn't outscore any opponents who were playing against that unbelievably bad defensive scheme.

Archie and the offense that year were good enough to beat any defense, but our defense wasn't good enough to stop high school teams. We lacked personnel, and putting that under-talented line-up into as stupid a scheme as the flex defense was a perfect storm disaster. JMHO, of course.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom