Manson follower Susan Atkins dies (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/09/25/california.manson.atkins/

(CNN) -- Susan Denise Atkins, a former member of the Manson family who killed pregnant actress Sharon Tate during a two-day killing spree in 1969, has died, according to a California corrections spokesman. She was 61.

Susan Atkins, here with husband James Whitehouse, died Thursday night after a battle with brain cancer.
1 of 3

Atkins died at 11:46 p.m. PT Thursday (2:46 a.m. Friday ET) at the Central California Women's Facility in Chowchilla, said Terry Thornton with the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.

Atkins, California's longest-serving female inmate, was suffering from terminal brain cancer. Since she entered prison in 1971, she became a born-again Christian who worked to help at-risk youth, victims of violent crimes and homeless children, among others, according to a Web site maintained by her attorney and husband, James Whitehouse.

But Atkins was best known for her actions in 1969 when as a 21-year-old and other Manson family members participated in seven murders over two days, a rampage that terrorized Los Angeles.

By her own admission, Atkins held the eight-months-pregnant Tate down as she pleaded for mercy, stabbing the 26-year-old actress 16 times. In a 1993 parole board hearing, Atkins said Tate "asked me to let her baby live. ... I told her I didn't have any mercy on her."

After stabbing Tate to death, Atkins -- known in the family as Sadie Mae Glutz -- scrawled the word "pig" in blood on the door of the home Tate shared with her husband, director Roman Polanski, according to historical accounts of the murders.

While she was on death row she gave birth to a son from one of the other followers (possibly Manson). The boy was taken from her as no one in her family wanted to care for it. The boy's name was Paul. The same name that Sharon Tate had for her unborn son that is inscribed on the tombstone.

She paid for her crimes. I believe she truly regretted what she did. She made her peace with God which is what really matters. Manson is the one who deserves to burn in hell.

Jan

She paid for her crimes. I believe she truly regretted what she did. She made her peace with God which is what really matters. Manson is the one who deserves to burn in hell.

Jan

I understand your sensibilities and respect your opinion but I can't say I see it the same way.

It's funny how murderers always make their peace with God.....She should've thought about that **** before she commited her crime....

It's funny how murderers always make their peace with God.....She should've thought about that **** before she commited her crime....

Geez....she was very young, in a cult controlled by a sociopath who fed her acid. When you are her/my age, you will regret quite a few things you did 40 years previously. I have seen several interviews of her over the years. She most definitely changed from the young woman who committed the murders (which were despicable).

Jan

Geez....she was very young, in a cult controlled by a sociopath who fed her acid. When you are her/my age, you will regret quite a few things you did 40 years previously. I have seen several interviews of her over the years. She most definitely changed from the young woman who committed the murders (which were despicable).

Jan
Not to argue Mama Jan...but she was 21, I think she should've known right from wrong back then....drugs or not......she'll burn for what she did....butcher a defenseless pregnant woman....Pathetic...

When you murder someone, there is nothing you can do to "pay for your crime".

Not to argue Mama Jan...but she was 21, I think she should've known right from wrong back then....drugs or not......she'll burn for what she did....butcher a defenseless pregnant woman....Pathetic...

Yeah it's a hard case to defend. The truth is, she should have never had the many years of contemplation to "discover" that what she did was wrong. When you drive a knife through the belly of a woman into a fetus, it's lights-out for you. I consider myself a sympathetic person too.

Jan

I agree, Jan.

Jan
Those years she had of reflection were a gift from society she did not deserve. Poor timing with the death penalty law reversal.

She was a teenage runaway when she came under the influence of Manson a few years earlier. Her mother died of cancer when she was 15 & her father was an alcoholic. I'm not as sure as you that she knew right & wrong when she did what she did due to her brainwashed drug-induced state brought about by Manson. God will judge whether she burns in hell, not us, so it's a fruitless argument. BTW, Manson has never expressed any regret or remorse; instead, he still basks in his notoriety.

Thanks, Barkus. The third sign of the Apocalypse? ;) (((hug)))

Jan

Susan Atkins' life also ended that night, as did the rest of the clan.
Justice prevailed in that they never hurt anyone again once captured.
I have a friend who lost a daughter in Jonestown, people can
be persuaded into irrational acts. Patty Hearst?
Atkins showed deep remorse for the deaths, Manson has never
taken any responsibility for his part.
The entire incident was an irreversible tragedy.

Manson should have been put to death a long time ago with his cohorts. Their is no way around cold blooded murder.

She was a teenage runaway when she came under the influence of Manson a few years earlier. Her mother died of cancer when she was 15 & her father was an alcoholic. I'm not as sure as you that she knew right & wrong when she did what she did due to her brainwashed drug-induced state brought about by Manson. God will judge whether she burns in hell, not us, so it's a fruitless argument. BTW, Manson has never expressed any regret or remorse; instead, he still basks in his notoriety.

Thanks, Barkus. The third sign of the Apocalypse? ;) (((hug)))

Jan
He'll get his, as well.....If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Manson born to a mother who was a prostitute and wasn't he in and out of institutions as a child.....so are we to use that as an excuse for his behavior, or if this is why he didn't know right from wrong.......

Last edited:
He'll get his, as well.....If I'm not mistaken wasn't Manson born to a mother who was a prostitute and wasn't he in and out of institutions as a child.....so are we to use that as an excuse for his behavior, or if this is why he didn't know right from wrong.......

No...he is a true sociopath....a text book example of one.

Jan

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom