Manufacturing Growing 714% Faster Under Trump Than Obama (1 Viewer)

Joe OKC

"Better Days"
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Not really sure what this means, Am I reading this right?

The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics released its December jobs report Friday morning, showing nonfarm employment was up by 312,000, stronger than analysts expected.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckdevore/2019/01/04/312000-jobs-added-in-december-manufacturing-growing-714-faster-under-trump-than-obama/#5432d5d15b50

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It compares manufacturing sector job adds from 2015/2016 (under Obama) with manufacturing sector job adds from 2017/18 under Trump. The raw numbers are 60,000 versus 491,000, and he states that the analysis of rate of job adds for manufacturing is a little more than seven times under Trump than Obama.

If your goal is purely to add manufacturing base and not look at cost or other policy implications, you can certainly say that Trump has succeeded at adding manufacturing to the US economy. It was a stated goal of his and he has done it. Of course, that's a substantially simply view, a look at what is basically a single data point (rate of job adds in one sector).

FullMonte

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Not really sure what this means, Am I reading this right?
So, the part you highlighted shows a huge increase in manufacturing jobs, as compared to Obama...then it says that under Obama government grew faster than manufacturing jobs, but that was reversed under Trump.

If you take the numbers they post in that article, and remove the government jobs from the equation, you see that under Obama's last two years, 9,815,000 jobs were created. Under Trump's first two years, 10,044,000 jobs were created. So, an actual comparison of total jobs created shows that Trump created 229,000 more jobs in two years than Obama did....or a whopping total of 2.3%.

saintmdterps

Well now take a look at that
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'd like to know in what fields these "manufacturing" jobs are materializing, and what the pay is. TrumpTax has not resulted in any new corporate incentives to hire, nor has it increased wages. What it has done is to allow corporations to buy back their stocks and sock away cash at a record rate.

edit: And oh yeah, you and I are going to subsidize the 1.5 billion charitable gift to the wealth and power addicts via cuts to social security and Medicare if Trumpians have their way.

Reaction score
I'd be curious what the average wage is for these jobs. Adding jobs just for the sake of making people busy but unable to save for retirement isn't a great goal imho.

Merl

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I'd be curious what the average wage is for these jobs. Adding jobs just for the sake of making people busy but unable to save for retirement isn't a great goal imho.
It's a hell of a lot better than having NO job.

SystemShock

uh yu ka t'ann
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Before everyone trips over themselves to comment about that opinion piece, perhaps y'all (OP included) should look at the actual cited reports.

You may also want to look at 5 year, 10 year trends to get a clearer picture.

N.O.Bronco

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I mean they are jobs numbers so there isn't anything crazy going on. Except for mentioning that alarm bells should always go off when a small sample size is used ot make a sweeping generalization without actually providing causal evidence.

I think what annoys me about things like this is it's clear the author is smart enough to know what the data says and doesn't say, but he goes ahead and tries to paint that connection for the reader anyways. Clearly to align with his agenda. Which is the inference that Trump created these jobs through some action he took. But there is no evidence of that.

For reference here is a chart of manufacturing jobs:

I'm all about having a conversation about the prospects and policies that can help around the manufacturing sector, as I think it is a very vital artery in American life, but I'm not sure this piece is a good anchor for that.

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
It's a hell of a lot better than having NO job.
I think you missed the point of what he was saying. Having a job that keeps you at the poverty level really isn't much better than having no job at all since you're still living on a minimal paycheck with the inability to save a penny (which is the same situation they were in collecting unemployment checks).

SaintInBucLand

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
I'm sure this is most likely deception on the part of the Trump administration. I would not put it past him making things up just to get the story away from him and the upcoming Russia revelations.

Taurus

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'd be curious to see just what Trump is doing differently than what W was doing. The Bush II administration hemorrhaged manufacturing jobs from start to finish. Presumably using the same "deregulate and cut taxes" playbook as Cheato.

porculator

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'd be curious to see just what Trump is doing differently than what W was doing. The Bush II administration hemorrhaged manufacturing jobs from start to finish. Presumably using the same "deregulate and cut taxes" playbook as Cheato.
The tariffs would be the big difference in the approach. Manufacturing is literally the only industry that benefits from them, so they damn well better be benefiting from them or they're even dumber than everyone thought.

But the biggest factor on the numbers is probably the overall economy and just the general trend of business outsourcing that seems like it may have finally peaked.

UTSaintsFan

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I will say that up to this point, the economy hasn't tanked like I was worried it would under president Trump. His famously failed businesses and bankruptcies made me question his business acumen. And then there's his public statements such as this:

Now I am not saying I believe him when he claims the economy is the best it's ever been, but it hasn't been a failure either. More factually, it's following a positive trend started by president Obama who took over in the middle of one of the worst recessions in 75 years. We can call that a "win," right?

Trump and his staffers and supporters, though, seem incapable of sticking to these facts. All administrations try to put the sunniest possible spin on economic statistics, but this administration is committed to impossibly sunny spins — like the president’s claims after last month’s GDP report of “an economic turnaround of historic proportions” and a rate of job growth that would have been “unthinkable” before he took office. All it takes is a quick glance at the charts in the column to see that these assertions are balderdash.

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I’m somewhat suspicious of these numbers, as a large bounce like that isn’t easy to hide. GM employs 180,000 in the US. So his numbers are saying that essentially enough new manufacturing jobs have been created as 2 new GM. I’m not saying he’s cooking the books, but I do wonder if maybe some massaging is being done. I mean wasn’t it Bush that wanted to count fast food workers as manufacturing because they built hamburgers? With the Trump administration having difficulty telling the truth up to this point, I take this with a grain of salt honestly.

Dragon

Official SR Twitter Team
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
To be honest I have not seen any Trump policies that is going to make a long term difference when it comes to manufacturing jobs in the US.

He has done all he can to limit and curtail the high tech industri surrounding renewable energy. This is an area which is booming around the world and which creates tons of jobs for both white and blue collar workers. The same thing with electric cars which is going to replace most of the fossil fuel cars in Europe within 10 years.

Instead he has remove environmental and worker protections which will make the production cheaper for the companies (and more dangerous for the workers and the community where they reside) and supported the production of products which the market does not want and which will be unsaleable within a few years.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Saints Headlines (The Advocate)

Headlines

Top Bottom