Manufacturing Growing 714% Faster Under Trump Than Obama (1 Viewer)

Joe OKC

"Better Days"
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Not really sure what this means, Am I reading this right?

The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics released its December jobs report Friday morning, showing nonfarm employment was up by 312,000, stronger than analysts expected.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckdevore/2019/01/04/312000-jobs-added-in-december-manufacturing-growing-714-faster-under-trump-than-obama/#5432d5d15b50

saintmdterps

Well now take a look at that
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I will say that up to this point, the economy hasn't tanked like I was worried it would under president Trump. His famously failed businesses and bankruptcies made me question his business acumen. And then there's his public statements such as this:

Now I am not saying I believe him when he claims the economy is the best it's ever been, but it hasn't been a failure either. More factually, it's following a positive trend started by president Obama who took over in the middle of one of the worst recessions in 75 years. We can call that a "win," right?
I wouldn't call it a "win" for Trump, but rather a "not fail". As evidenced by his crowing about the stock market, Trump hasn't the good sense to stay away from taking credit for the market. Most presidents realize that by claiming responsibility for the upswings, they are responsible for the downturns as well. Trump does a sack dance when the market is up, then runs and hides or blames others when it is down.

Reaction score
I wouldn't call it a "win" for Trump, but rather a "not fail". As evidenced by his crowing about the stock market, Trump hasn't the good sense to stay away from taking credit for the market. Most presidents realize that by claiming responsibility for the upswings, they are responsible for the downturns as well. Trump does a sack dance when the market is up, then runs and hides or blames others when it is down.
Indeed he does. Most politicians unfortunately do it.

UTSaintsFan

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I am calling it in a win for the country. At the end of the day, even if I believe this president does more to divide our country than bring it together, he hasn't wrecked the economy. We can debate whether this is happening despite president Trump, but I am thankful we're continuing the positive trajectory.

rajncajn

Lurker Extrodinaire
Reaction score
I think you missed the point of what he was saying. Having a job that keeps you at the poverty level really isn't much better than having no job at all since you're still living on a minimal paycheck with the inability to save a penny (which is the same situation they were in collecting unemployment checks).
I'd say it's better earning a wage regardless of how minimal rather than being a burden on taxpayers. Not everyone can start off at a career wage.

cuddlemonkey

Veteran
Reaction score
I'd say it's better earning a wage regardless of how minimal rather than being a burden on taxpayers. Not everyone can start off at a career wage.
A lot of people that make above minimum wage still struggle to make ends meet and qualify for assistance programs. Don't you find that unacceptable, that someone can work full time for years and still not make ends meet?

rajncajn

Lurker Extrodinaire
Reaction score
A lot of people that make above minimum wage still struggle to make ends meet and qualify for assistance programs. Don't you find that unacceptable, that someone can work full time for years and still not make ends meet?
Lol, I have trouble making ends meet. I don't expect anyone to have to help me out. Again, finding some work and easing the burden on welfare and possibly even healthcare is better than no job at all. It's certainly not the best situation, but it's definitely a step in the right direction.

cuddlemonkey

Veteran
Reaction score
Lol, I have trouble making ends meet. I don't expect anyone to have to help me out. Again, finding some work and easing the burden on welfare and possibly even healthcare is better than no job at all. It's certainly not the best situation, but it's definitely a step in the right direction.
You don't believe that the money you pay in taxes should go to support those in this country that need the most help?

rajncajn

Lurker Extrodinaire
Reaction score
You don't believe that the money you pay in taxes should go to support those in this country that need the most help?
Yes, I believe my tax dollars should help those most in need, but that doesn't mean it should just be a handout either.
What I would like to see is government programs that don't encourage people to stay on welfare and do more to help curtail dependency. I don't want to support someone who would rather sit on a couch drinking beer and eating Cheetos than going out and accepting a low wage job to help support themselves.

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Well, if you look at were the investments made in the 1950s under the higher tax brackets, it was in infrastructure, higher education and research. All of which put people to work or increase pay. Infrastructure can always use improvement, costs of higher education brought down and research is never a bad thing as it creates new products to drive the economy. The lower cost of higher education pays for itself quickly in two ways. Rather than giving that money to banks it frees it up to be put into the economy as our young people are sitting on the sidelines repaying debt too long. Second, by reducing the costs, it allows additional children to get the levels of higher education, and the corresponding tax base it provides. Creating minimum or near minimum wage jobs doesn’t add to the tax base at all, only takes away from it.

However, even in this thread I hear about giving that money away to people. Welfare to people is less of the budget than cooperate welfare. The tax breaks and benefits to corporations way outstrip any welfare given to people.

cuddlemonkey

Veteran
Reaction score
Yes, I believe my tax dollars should help those most in need, but that doesn't mean it should just be a handout either.
What I would like to see is government programs that don't encourage people to stay on welfare and do more to help curtail dependency. I don't want to support someone who would rather sit on a couch drinking beer and eating Cheetos than going out and accepting a low wage job to help support themselves.
Let's say that I have two options.

1. I get a low wage job and apply for all of the benefits for which I qualify.

2. I stay unemployed while I search for a better paying job.

I have more money coming in every month if I choose option 2. Are you saying that it is wrong for me to make that choice?

rajncajn

Lurker Extrodinaire
Reaction score
Let's say that I have two options.

1. I get a low wage job and apply for all of the benefits for which I qualify.

2. I stay unemployed while I search for a better paying job.

I have more money coming in every month if I choose option 2. Are you saying that it is wrong for me to make that choice?
I say that it shouldn't be that way. Staying unemployed should never be a better option. It gives you no incentive to find something better, which working another job would not prevent you from doing.

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'd rather support a lazy, Cheeto eating bum than pay what I pay in taxes in order to give it to some Chinese company to let them avoid paying taxes and provide some meaningless jobs that don't pay enough to cover the cost of healthcare. I'd rather pay for lazy bums to lay on their sofa than subsidize another yacht for a billionaire and I'd sure as heck rather pay for lazy Americans to have healthcare and education than to spend even one more cent on corporate tax cuts that allow giant multi-nationals to give bonuses to executives and buy back stocks rather than give raises to the average worker.

And that's the point.

Tax codes can be used to incentivize certain behavior and dis-incentivize others. It's not so much picking winners and losers as it is using tax policy to steer the ship of state into a healthy and sustainable future through education, healthcare, smart infrastructure and reasonable energy policy.

cuddlemonkey

Veteran
Reaction score
I say that it shouldn't be that way. Staying unemployed should never be a better option. It gives you no incentive to find something better, which working another job would not prevent you from doing.
So you would support raising the minimum wage in an effort to get more people working?

How about single payer health care to keep people from going broke when a medical emergency arises?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Saints Headlines (The Advocate)

Headlines

Top Bottom