Manufacturing Growing 714% Faster Under Trump Than Obama (1 Viewer)

Joe OKC

"Better Days"
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Not really sure what this means, Am I reading this right?

The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics released its December jobs report Friday morning, showing nonfarm employment was up by 312,000, stronger than analysts expected.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckdevore/2019/01/04/312000-jobs-added-in-december-manufacturing-growing-714-faster-under-trump-than-obama/#5432d5d15b50

LAhotsauce

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I say that it shouldn't be that way. Staying unemployed should never be a better option. It gives you no incentive to find something better, which working another job would not prevent you from doing.
Your way of thinking is outdated by at least 40 years. The welfare system was revamped under Clinton way back in the mid 90s. Nobody can qualify without either looking for employment or having employment already. And even if you are looking, whatever welfare you get will stop if you dont find work in a certain time period, which is counted in months than years. The problems have always been about the working poor. This country has been at "full employment" for at least the last decade now.

So please educate yourself and stop regurgitating 50 year old talking points. Talking points that didnt start until a certain party put a "black" face on welfare to rile up folks like you. Thats when all the "handout" parroting started. Before that, there was no problem with giving people a helping hand with the New Deal.

rajncajn

Lurker Extrodinaire
Reaction score
Your way of thinking is outdated by at least 40 years. The welfare system was revamped under Clinton way back in the mid 90s. Nobody can qualify without either looking for employment or having employment already. And even if you are looking, whatever welfare you get will stop if you dont find work in a certain time period, which is counted in months than years. The problems have always been about the working poor. This country has been at "full employment" for at least the last decade now.

So please educate yourself and stop regurgitating 50 year old talking points. Talking points that didnt start until a certain party put a "black" face on welfare to rile up folks like you. Thats when all the "handout" parroting started. Before that, there was no problem with giving people a helping hand with the New Deal.
The pretentious condescension of the PDB rears its ugly head yet again. "Folks like you..." What kind folk am I? You know nothing of me, my background, my financial situation, nothing. All you see is a maga hat behind a keyboard any time somebody doesn't agree with your perspective.

LAhotsauce

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
The pretentious condescension of the PDB rears its ugly head yet again. "Folks like you..." What kind folk am I? You know nothing of me, my background, my financial situation, nothing. All you see is a maga hat behind a keyboard any time somebody doesn't agree with your perspective.
We're not talking perpectives, we're talking facts. Facts that should be well known by now. Hence that shoe seemed to fit rather snug...

OP
OP
Joe OKC

Joe OKC

"Better Days"
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Reaction score
Is this true..????

China announced Friday that it would allow rice imports from the U.S. for the first time in its history, an apparent gesture meant to cool trade tensions with the Trump administration as the two countries prepare for broader trade talks early next year.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/economy/china-allows-first-ever-us-rice-imports

a little late news... But selling Rice to China?

Selling...... Rice..... to..... China.....

Well, it happened over a year ago. Weird that Trump is just announcing it (again) now.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/07/21/china-opens-rice-market-us-exports-first-time-ever/500278001/

He's double dipping on the winning.

SystemShock

uh yu ka t'ann
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Is this true..????

China announced Friday that it would allow rice imports from the U.S. for the first time in its history, an apparent gesture meant to cool trade tensions with the Trump administration as the two countries prepare for broader trade talks early next year.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/economy/china-allows-first-ever-us-rice-imports

Did you read the article?

Reaction score
Looks like some transition is underway. It'll be interesting to see if this is a short term blip or becomes a longer term situation should the concerns become more solid.

http://www.challengergray.com/press/press-releases/march-2019-job-cuts-report-60587-cuts-add-highest-quarterly-total-q3-2015

First quarter cuts totaled 190,410, 10.3% higher than the 172,601 cuts announced in the final quarter of 2018 and 35.6% higher than the 140,379 announced in the same quarter last year. It is the highest quarterly total since Q3 2015, when 205,759 cuts were announced. It is also the highest first quarter total since 2009, when 562,510 cuts were recorded.

“Companies appear to be streamlining and updating their processes, and workforce reductions are increasingly becoming a part of these decisions. Consumer behavior and advances in technology are driving many of these cuts,” said Andrew Challenger, Vice President of Challenger, Gray & Christmas, Inc.

“Another major driver of the uptick in job cuts is economic uncertainty and fears of an upcoming downturn. Companies are reacting to market conditions as much as consumer demand,” he added.
March job cuts were led by the Automotive sector, which announced 8,838 cuts. So far this year, automotive manufacturers and suppliers have cut 15,887 jobs. Energy companies followed with 8,149 planned cuts last month, for a total of 10,548 this year.

MLU

Please respect my decision!
Reaction score
Is this true..????

China currently imports 5 million tonnes of rice every year. This is a little nugget that the Washington Examiner left out. Try sticking to Reuters for a news source.

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Is this true..????

You do realize which state grows the rice variety preferred by China though don’t you? While the south grows long grain rice, that’s not the variety that the Chinese prefer. The varieties the Chinese prefer were brought to a state by Chinese immigrants who found the soil and temperature variations were perfect for Chinese rice, the stickier medium and short grained rices used in Chinese cooking. That state is California, and, if you’ve paid any attention at all the what China is slapping tariffs on its materials and crops from traditionally red states, not stuff from traditionally democratic states. Soybeans, pork things like that are getting hammered. Nuts, citrus, things like that grown in California for the most part have escaped the brunt.

SystemShock

uh yu ka t'ann
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
China currently imports 5 million tonnes of rice every year. This is a little nugget that the Washington Examiner left out. Try sticking to Reuters for a news source.
To be fair, they did state:
China currently imports rice from other Asian countries, having opened its agricultural market when it joined the World Trade Organization in 2001.
So there are other countries that have been exporting...rice...to...China for almost 2 decades.

mr.t

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It compares manufacturing sector job adds from 2015/2016 (under Obama) with manufacturing sector job adds from 2017/18 under Trump. The raw numbers are 60,000 versus 491,000, and he states that the analysis of rate of job adds for manufacturing is a little more than seven times under Trump than Obama.

If your goal is purely to add manufacturing base and not look at cost or other policy implications, you can certainly say that Trump has succeeded at adding manufacturing to the US economy. It was a stated goal of his and he has done it. Of course, that's a substantially simply view, a look at what is basically a single data point (rate of job adds in one sector).
So. I guess adding all of those jobs is a negative ?

Saint_Ward

The Great Eye is ever Watchful
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So. I guess adding all of those jobs is a negative ?
Pointing out a potential cost of those particular jobs isn't necessarily a negative.

And overall job growth was the same. The only difference is specific to manufacturing.

Reaction score
The bigger issue than jobs to me is pay. Until the middle class obtains levels of disposable income sufficient to create jobs to sustain lower class workers, the upper class just hordes their piles of cash. I don't believe the income inequality is good for the country in it's current form.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Saints Headlines (The Advocate)

Headlines

Top Bottom