Mao offered the US 10,000,000 Chinese Women (1 Viewer)

Sabine

Thicketeer - Bottomite
Reaction score
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Amid a discussion of trade in 1973, Chinese leader Mao Zedong made what U.S. Secretary of State Henry Kissinger called a novel proposition: sending tens of thousands, even 10 million, Chinese women to the United States. "You know, China is a very poor country," Mao said, according to a document released by the State Department's historian office.
"We don't have much. What we have in excess is women. So if you want them we can give a few of those to you, some tens of thousands."
A few minutes later, Mao circled back to the offer. "Do you want our Chinese women?" he asked. "We can give you 10 million."..........
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/14/chinese.women.ap/index.html

1973. This was only 35 years ago.
[FONT=arial, helvetica]
Before 1973, only three women had held their countries' highest elective offices. Sirimavo Bandaranaike was prime minister of Ceylon (now Sri Lanka) from 1960 to 1965 and from 1970 to 1977. Indira Gandhi was prime minister of India from 1966 to 1977 and from 1980 until her assassination in 1984
[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica].Golda Meir was prime minister of Israel from 1969 to 1974[/FONT]

In 1973, in the US:

The Supreme Court was overturning a state ban on abortion in Roe v. Wade.

We get Title IX (Public Law 92-318) of the Education Amendments which prohibits sex discrimination in all aspects of education programs that receive federal support.

However, it would be another 2 years before Taylor v. Louisiana, 419 U.S. 522 (1975), denying states the right to exclude women from juries.

And it would another 11 years before the state of Mississippi belatedly ratifies the 19th Amendment, granting women the vote.

Back to 1973: Hillary Rodham graduated from Yale Law School, and went to work for the newly founded Children's Defense Fund (an organization she later chaired), and in 1973 worked on the impeachment inquiry of President Nixon following his involvement with Watergate. (She should be used to people hating her by now.)

Oh, and Let's Get On by Marvin Gaye topped the charts.

Last edited:
I remember when I was in China in 1999 a college professor was talking to me about China's overpopulation "problem" and besides the one child policy, she was advocating sending several hundred million chinese to other countries.

If we can teach them to cook something other than that crazy nuclear seafood they destroy my workplace microwave with, I say bring 'em on over.

I fixed the typo in your thread title Sabine. "Mao" not "Moa" A moa is a giant extinct bird. :)

So in this "trade", can we send 10 million of our women over

I fixed the typo in your thread title Sabine. "Mao" not "Moa" A moa is a giant extinct bird. :)

Thanks DD. At for 4:30 in the morning, I'm likely to misspell my own name. :covri:

I remember when I was in China in 1999 a college professor was talking to me about China's overpopulation "problem" and besides the one child policy, she was advocating sending several hundred million chinese to other countries.

But that was men and women, right?

So in this "trade", can we send 10 million of our women over

That's not a fair trade. I think maybe as few as 1,000,000 of our women is enough to throw their country into turmoil, don't you? :shrug:

Where does Hillary fit into this?

There's a lot of talk about change these days in politics. Well, this country was very different in 1973. Another example: Children with disabilities, even very minor ones (e.g. dyslexia, stuttering, etc.) had yet to be guaranteed the free, appropriate, public education to which all other children were entitled. We take a lot for granted now, and give little thought or due credit to those who worked to overhaul a system of men who were content to leave both women and children "in their place". So, take a minute and think about how much "change" we've seen in 35 years, and the pushy people who were working on those changes.

And while you're at it imagine how 2008 will strike the next generation 35 years from now.

Men weren't the only obstacles in the way of change:

CNN interviews women at a Junior League tea party about the role of racism and sexism in American politics. :covri:

Some voters say sexism less offensive than racism

Editor's Note: CNN reached out to a group of Ohio women to get their views on the role sexism and racism are playing in the presidential race.
COLUMBUS, Ohio (CNN) -- The simple fact that either Hillary Clinton, a white woman, or Barack Obama, a black man, will likely be the Democratic nominee for president is fueling a nationwide debate about how sexism and racism may shape this campaign.
At a tea party with members of Columbus, Ohio's Junior League we posed the question: Is overt sexism more acceptable than overt racism? Voter Babette Feibel told us, "Sexism of the nature Hillary Clinton is experiencing has been around as kind of an acceptable joke for years. As far as racism, it's definitely not politically correct or acceptable."
Hillary Clinton has had to deal with plenty. At a rally, hecklers yelled to her to iron their shirts. Radio host Rush Limbaugh told listeners, "Will this country want to actually watch a woman get older before their eyes on a daily basis?"
MSNBC's Chris Mathews suggested "the reason she's a U.S. senator, the reason she's a candidate for president, the reason she may be a front-runner is her husband messed around." ....................
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/02/15/kaye.ohioracegender/index.html

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom