Marcel Jones?? (1 Viewer)

McBushister

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
What do you guys think about letting Bushrod walk and giving Jones a shot?

I like both of those Ideas, but also like to draft a 4-5th round OT to compete also, Kromer was so good at coaching these guys up, I just hope the new guy can do the same.

If we were to let marcel Jones start then you be prepared to give daniels more play time as well, because Brees will end up in a wheel chair.

Jones had injury problems all through college and went on IR for the season last year so no that would be a horrible idea

If we were to let marcel Jones start then you be prepared to give daniels more play time as well, because Brees will end up in a wheel chair.

I bet you thought the same thing about Bushrod when he got his shot.

No but Charles Brown is underrated and could probably do a pretty good job at LT but the concern with him is injury.

Bushrod proved himself on the field before he was handed a starting job. The Saints don't even know if this guy can play. I hope that he proves something this season...and he may be the future RT...but the Saints need a LT NOW.

Late round draft picks being put on the IR their rookie year is Loomis' method of keeping them from being grabbed from the practice squad.

Toon, Tiller, Jones and White were all IR this year, none were placed on PS. So they're not so much being injury prone as much as being protected for the future.

De la Puenta went straight from the PS and became the starting center. That didn't turn out so badly. The Saints grabbed him from another teams PS and only prepped him for half a season. So putting potential starters on PS you will lose some players.

Bushrod had already been here and had game experience. That's a huge difference that Jones' situation where he has yet to to play one snap in a game.

Late round draft picks being put on the IR their rookie year is Loomis' method of keeping them from being grabbed from the practice squad.

Toon, Tiller, Jones and White were all IR this year, none were placed on PS. So they're not so much being injury prone as much as being protected for the future.

Wrong unless you are accusing Loomis of cheating. It's called the Belichek rule.

Here is a scouting overview of Jones

Jones' time at Nebraska was marred by injuries and he has serious durability concerns moving forward. He has the frame to draw interest but injury history and the bad weight he carries, with average strength, he's maintaining a draftable grade only because of his adequate feet and strength to go with his length.

Is this really who you want to rely on to protect Brees' blindside?

Drew Brees is the single most important player on this team, so by default that makes his blindside protector the 2nd most important. Why would you want to take such a risk like that?

Marcel Jones is the backup RT. He can't play LT because he doesn't have the foot speed. Charles Brown has the ability to be a pro bowl LT, but he is inconsistent, unproven, and too injury prone to count on him yet.

I like Jones and hope he has a future with the team, but he was a seventh round draft pick, an often injured RT, who spent his rookie year on IR and you want him to be our starting LT?

Marcel Jones is the backup RT. He can't play LT because he doesn't have the foot speed. Charles Brown has the ability to be a pro bowl LT, but he is inconsistent, unproven, and too injury prone to count on him yet.

And too inexperienced since he started college as a TE and was moved his JR year to OT. He showed improvement last year but still looked about a year away from starting. Hopefully he takes a major step this offseason.

Heck No....They better sign Bushrod back or its gonna be a long season. The RT spot need to be looked at also cause Strief was getting murdered over there.

Bellichek broke NFL rules by practicing players on IR. No rules are broken for placing players on IR.

"Basically, the Patriots would put a player on IR, knowing it meant he couldn't play in a game or practice with the team for the remainder of the season. By skirting the rules and practicing him anyway, it allowed them to develop his skills during the year. A side benefit is that they were also able to give some of the older players less repetitions and, therefore, additional rest."

The Bushrod situation was different! I was actually looking forward to him starting. Jones has not proved himself, and I would not be willing to risk Brees career in the hands of an unproven left tackle. The tackle position is not the type of position you want to experiment with. The results can be horrific if you fail.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom