Marcelus Wiley said today on ESPN! (1 Viewer)

willbill

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
That the Jets would try to make us one dimensional and take the run away and make us pass to beat the jets. WHAT?? Most teams that might work. If anything I would think you would try to take away the pass and let us beat you running the ball. We only scored 27 last week running the ball. But Hey Marcelus gets paid the big bucks for his analysis!!

That the Jets would try to make us one dimensional and take the run away and make us pass to beat the jets. WHAT?? Most teams that might work. If anything I would think you would try to take away the pass and let us beat you running the ball. We only scored 27 last week running the ball. But Hey Marcelus gets paid the big bucks for his analysis!!

Exactly

LOL. Well ya gotta take away something I guess. If you hold this offense under 30 points you've had a good day.

Yeah, he picked the Jets to beat us on Sportsnation today also. Then they showed that like 78% of the Sportsnation poll said we would win, he said something like "Well come back on Monday and I'll be here to tell you I was right."

Is there something inaccurate about his analysis? The reason we have been so unstoppable this year is because we've added a successful run game to our potent passing attack. If you make ANYONE one dimensional, you have a great shot at winning the game. We didn't win very much the last few years when we were forced to throw the ball all the time.

Can't wait until Sunday. I even turned down work for Sunday.
Jets will turn the ball over many many times on Offense. Either by on downs or interceptions or forced fumbles. This will give our Offense way to many opportunities to score. We will wear their Defense out by second half.

What his assessment fails to mention is that this strategy only works if the Jets offense can score on our defense. If this works but we also stalemate THEIR offense, making them one dimensional, eventually something will have to break.

I like our offense's chances to be the one that breaks the other.

Is there something inaccurate about his analysis? The reason we have been so unstoppable this year is because we've added a successful run game to our potent passing attack. If you make ANYONE one dimensional, you have a great shot at winning the game. We didn't win very much the last few years when we were forced to throw the ball all the time.

You're right... scoring almost 30 ppg while passing is TERRIBLE...

The Bills forced our running game to beat them...it did. The Eagles and Lions...well we kind of just did whatever we wanted.

While I don't think the jets would be successful using that strategy, I can see why Wiley said that. Afterall, the secondary is their strongest unit on D, even with the injuries. Still, I'd like to see them try.

When you forceing someone to be one dimensional and make them pass on you, it means you are loading the box and daring them to throw. Against Brees that would be suicide.

Plus, I believe he also said Revis could cover anybody. What he didn't explain was how he was going to cover EVERYBODY.

Well, at least he acknowledged that we have a running game that needs to be factored into the gameplan. Considering I still hear people saying we can't run the ball on occasion, that's something right?

I'm making an assumption here, but I know Wiley's a pretty smart guy so it's a fair assumption.

I think what he means is he believes the Jets will try to stone-wall the run game early and get Payton to abandon it (as he is prone to do), at which point they can start tee'ing off on Brees until Payton settles the game down again by re-establishing the run.

Given the "pick your poison" nature of the game, it's not a terrible idea. They could try to shut down the passing game and force us to run but

1 - Lot harder to do that in the dome with a banged up secondary then it was for Buffalo in Buffalo

2 - They'll generate more turnovers if they can get to sacking Brees then if they let Pierre Thomas run loose, which their offense will need to score.

Not only would I anticipate that being the general NYJets game plan, it doesn't sound like a bad one

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom