Marcus Davenport gets respect from Willie McGinest (1 Viewer)

woohoosaint

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I wouldn't be disappointed in this prediction.

Marcus Davenport, DE, New Orleans Saints

2019 projection: Nine-plus sacks.

The Saints had to be pleased with Davenport's production early last season after they traded up 13 spots to draft him. He logged four sacks in his first seven games in a rotational role. Unfortunately, a toe injury caused Davenport to miss three games (from Week 9 to Week 11), and with less explosiveness than normal, the defensive end struggled the rest of the way, finishing the season with 4.5 sacks. With Davenport undergoing surgery this offseason to get right physically, Saints general manager Mickey Loomis said in April that he foresees "big things" from his 2018 first-rounder. Davenport has always used his length well to create separation from offensive linemen, but it's hard to get into a groove when injured. He should be able to find consistency and success getting to the quarterback in Year 2 if he can stay healthy as part of New Orleans' pick-your-poison defensive line, alongside Malcom Brown, Sheldon Rankins and Cameron Jordan.

Last edited:
What makes Davenport even MORE DANGEROUS is that he is an excellent run-stopper, and sheds blocks very well. On the other side, Cam Jordan is one of the best combo run-stoppers and pass rushers.

No need to say how deep our NT's are. They will routinely collapse the pocket.

This means that the opposing QB's will hold the ball an extra 0.5 to 1 second longer. Net effect: More sacks, hurries, and INT's.

How does an opposing offensive coordinator plan against that?

:gosaints:

What makes Davenport even MORE DANGEROUS is that he is an excellent run-stopper, and sheds blocks very well. On the other side, Cam Jordan is one of the best combo run-stoppers and pass rushers.

This means that the opposing QB's will hold the ball an extra 0.5 to 1 second longer. Net effect: More sacks, hurries, and INT's.

How does an opposing offensive coordinator plan against that?

:gosaints:
Hopefully he can build on last season.

I can’t wait to see Davenport out there full time and healthy; he’s going to explode this season! He was a monster in those first few games against the run and pass. Now, imagine him healthy and one year of experience under his belt.

I admit that I was a bit skeptical of trading up for him, but judging by those first few games he was worth it.

Typically the Saints NT gets little to no pressure. However, Malcolm Brown actually does has some pass rush ability. He wasn't asked to do that at New England, though. I am curious how DA will use him. Maybe he gets some push and maybe they use him to occupy space and free up others to rush the passer. I think he can be the Demario Davis of the 2019 free agents.

All you have to do is just turn on the tape for 5 min to realize how talented this kid is.

It was a great move to trade up and get this guy.

This year if he stays healthy, he will show why such move was so great. I think he could have double digit sacks this year.

I’ve always seen Marcus Davenport as a Jason Pierre Paul clone. Like JPP, he left college with all the talent in the world but there were understandable questions regarding his year one impact due to his elevated pad level and inconsistent hand usage in college against weaker competition. It’s not fair to him, because you don’t hone fixing technique as much when you’re dominating, and that’s what he did at UTSA.

His athleticism and size can’t be taught, and he has freakish range. You teach him how to take on blocks and there’s just no limit to his potential.

JPP spent one year with NFL coaching and an elite, polished veteran in Justin Tuck and went from 4.5 sacks in 2010 to 16.5 sacks in 2011. Davenport has now spent one year with NFL coaching and an elite, polished veteran in Cam Jordan and will go from 4.5 to fill in the blank.

Typically the Saints NT gets little to no pressure. However, Malcolm Brown actually does has some pass rush ability. He wasn't asked to do that at New England, though. I am curious how DA will use him. Maybe he gets some push and maybe they use him to occupy space and free up others to rush the passer. I think he can be the Demario Davis of the 2019 free agents.
I'm fairly certain that Rankins will have something to argue about your "Typically the Saints NT gets little to no pressure".

One thing is for certain. Davenport is in a perfect situation to succeed. He plays the glory position on a stacked D-line, and no real threat for him to have to share snaps with. He really should get double digit sacks if he has a healthy season.

I saw enough out of Davenport talent wise to think that he can be a force. The tools are there. He has everything you could hope for from an athleticism standpoint. He showed some elite flashes.

To me the question isn't how good can he be. The question is how good does he want to be. I rarely say this about prospects because it's rarely true, but the sky is the limit with Davenport. If he wants to be great and if he's willing to put in the kind of work that it takes to be great, then he will be.

I'm fairly certain that Rankins will have something to argue about your "Typically the Saints NT gets little to no pressure".
Both Rankins and Brown are DTs. Rankins plays the 3-technique on the outside shoulder of the guard. The NT would be called a 0-technique or 1-technique, but that's a bit awkward so most just go with NT. That's the DT that plays directly over the center (0) or on the center's shoulder (1). Typically, since he's directly over the center the NT position eats space and draws two blockers. You want someone who is stronger than average, plays with good, low leverage and can hold his ground. The 3-technique is usually more athletic and can take advantage of playing in a gap and getting into the backfield.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom