Marcus Davenport had the best game of his career on Monday (1 Viewer)

I had to call my buddy on the one where he bull rushed the LT 7 yards deep and when Smith rolled out to his left and Davenport saw that, gave that LT one last "push" and toppled him over backwards on his way to Smith ( who threw it away )

it was possibly one of the nastiest DE v LT rushes ive ever seen.
Marcus Davenport is a very violent player. You don't see that type of raw fury very often.

I've been waiting to see footage of the play from the start. Curious to know what prompted a flag. If it was hands to the face they usually say that. But then again, in that game, hands to the face didn't exist or Metcalf would have been ejected in the first quarter.
Again, I read somewhere that they said he made helmet to helmet contact with the OL. Sad thing is that probably happens on every play. Refs prob tried to cover for their poor flag instead of just picking it up.

I've looked at this video frame by frame and the only possible reason for the flag is the angle that the 'flag throwing' official had of the play could have given him the impression that Davenport's long right arm contacted Smith in the head/neck area. I say this solely because the impact to the right shoulder pad made Geno's head shake suddenly. But there was absolutely no contact to Geno's head and the official blew the call likely because of what he thought he saw.

He definitely owes Davenport & the Saints an apology. :hihi:
I believe the call was unnecessary roughness and not roughing the passer. Maybe the ref took exception to the way Davenport demolished the tackle.

Again, I read somewhere that they said he made helmet to helmet contact with the OL. Sad thing is that probably happens on every play. Refs prob tried to cover for their poor flag instead of just picking it up.
Thanks for the explanation. I went back and watched. Technically, yeah, but that's looking really hard to throw a flag. I don't recall that ever being called on a lineman vs. lineman in the trenches.

Thanks for the explanation. I went back and watched. Technically, yeah, but that's looking really hard to throw a flag. I don't recall that ever being called on a lineman vs. lineman in the trenches.
I KNOW RIGHT!!!

Iā€™ve watched a game or 2ā€¦THOUSANDā€¦in my day! N dat was the FIRST time I heard dat one called!

Weird as hell!!!

šŸ¤¬šŸ¤¬šŸ¤¬

I know this is mid-week and it's probably already been touched on, but holy mother of God. He played like a freakin centaur on Monday. I haven't even looked at the box score and have no idea what his statline was, but he had an impact on nearly every single play. By the second half they were sliding the protection toward him, and numerous pressures and sacks that won't show up on his personal stat sheet would not have happened without him.

Most impressive is the way he's developed his power game. He's really learned how to extend and was tossing O-linemen around in both the run and pass game. I'm just thoroughly impressed, and while I could be brain-holing here, I don't remember ever seeing him impact a game like that from start to finish.
Thanks for posting ur thread Dan! Like you,I also thought MD had a helluva game n deserved a thread for his performance!

šŸ‘šŸ½šŸ‘šŸ½šŸ‘šŸ½šŸ‘šŸ½šŸ‘šŸ½šŸ‘šŸ½

I believe the call was unnecessary roughness and not roughing the passer. Maybe the ref took exception to the way Davenport demolished the tackle.
You're right! I had forgotten about that. So the flag really had nothing to do with the QB. That ref was clearly just showing pity for that poor right tackle. :hihi:

So i think, if anyone has access to the All 22- it was around 3:41 left in 2nd- the play im talking about.

I searched you tube but cant find a vid in that time frame.

id love to see again
  • 3rd & 4 at SEA 18​

(12:22 - 3rd) (Shotgun) G.Smith pass short left to T.Lockett to SEA 25 for 7 yards (M.Lattimore). PENALTY on NO-M.Davenport, Unnecessary Roughness, 15 yards, enforced at SEA 25.
FWIW, here's what happened at 3:41:

• 2nd & 13 at SEA 20​

(3:41 - 2nd) (Shotgun) G.Smith pass short middle to F.Swain to SEA 30 for 10 yards (P.Werner, C.Gardner-Johnson). PENALTY on NO-C.Gardner-Johnson, Unnecessary Roughness, 15 yards, enforced at SEA 30.

And what in the heck was this play a few plays later:
  • 3rd & 9 at SEA 41​

(2:39 - 2nd) (Shotgun) G.Smith pass incomplete deep right to F.Swain [M.Davenport].

Last edited:
//youtu.be/G9iwCZSKVVY?t=359

NOTE: Why can't I embed the correct URL! It distorts it and starts the video at the beginning instead of at the 5:59 mark!

I had to delete "http:" from the link.

RE: penalty - the O-linemen should have been flagged for a High-Low combo block!!

Last edited:
How does that flag come out SO FAST!

Before MD rolls over, the flag is flying through the air!
Because it was due to the 'abuse' Marcus put on the right tackle at the line. The penalty had nothing to do with the QB. Basically Davenport was called for being 'unnecessarily rough' on that lineman to the point that the official felt obligated to chuck the flag and give that lineman a chance to clean the tire tracks from off of his chest.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom