Marcus Davenport is learning on the job: Day 3 observations from Saints training camp (1 Viewer)

• Admin
View attachment 100095

By Larry Holder - NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune

observations from Saints training camp

The Saints' first-round pick is a work in progress

Rookie defensive end Marcus Davenport is going through the typical rookie growing pains early on. The first-round pick from Texas-San Antonio beat Terron Armstead for one sack during team drills but otherwise struggled to make much of an impact during the first padded practice of camp. During one-on-one passing drills, Armstead actually lost his footing and buried into the turf by Jermon Bushrod. "It's frustrating, but it's just like my freshman year of college," he said. "I've got to learn again and I'm trying to pick it up fast so I'm kind of, how do I say, double down and get better in a hurry." The Saints coaching staff challenged Davenport to get stronger in the offseason, and he responded by increasing his lower body strength. But Davenport admitted Saturday he's feeling the pressure of meeting the high expectations for his first-round draft selection. His transition to the NFL is still a work in progress. You never know when the light is going to turn on for a rookie. Until then, it might be wise for Saints fans to temper their expectations for Davenport.

David Onyemata could challenge Sheldon Rankins for a starting spot

An under-the-radar position battle to watch: Sheldon Rankins vs. David Onyemata. Onyemata has been quietly receiving work with the first-team offense and is pushing Rankins for the starting spot opposite Tyeler Davison. If the Saints are trying to push the former first-round draft pick it wouldn't be a surprise. Rankins said Friday he was disappointed with his statistical performance last season (two sacks, 16 tackles). He said he spent the entire offseason working out on his own in an effort to improve. He's flashed a few times early in camp and will need to make more plays to hold off the precocious Onyemata, who actually graded higher than Rankins last season. ...

Full Story - NOLA.com

Andrus Whitewing

Andrus Whitewing

Admin

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom