ktmoze

VIP Subscribing Member
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
On the Verge.jpgaven

Is Marcus Davenport ready for the next step in the evolution of his career in the NFL?

If Marcus can become half the technician Cam is, the sky is the limit. His instincts against the run are solid and his sacks are violent. You can tell they hurt. He's just gotta put it all together and not overthink. I've only coached soccer, but I've coached some kids with the same issue. Amazing physical talent, but they overthink things and don't just go on instincts and ability. Once they do, it's a joy to behold. The more time he spends with Cam, the better.

He really needs to learn how to play better in the 3 point stance. He’s still too slow off the snap. His tools are phenomenal and he flashes often but he still needs a lot of work to get to the next level.

He really needs to learn how to play better in the 3 point stance. He’s still too slow off the snap. His tools are phenomenal and he flashes often but he still needs a lot of work to get to the next level.
Yeah, there's definitely a hitch coming out of a 3-point that simply isn't there when he's in a 2-point. He's gotta get better at that.

Anything less than 50 tackles 12.0 sacks and 3-5FF I’ll be disappointed Davenport can be great.

Now would I take 40 Tackles 8+ Sacks and consistent pass rush in a heart beat .

But I know the potential is there

Each game he was within half a second of flooring a QB on more than one occasion. Genuinely eye opening but at the same time frustrating to watch. Perhaps if he gets the explosiveness he speaks of we'll see mid to high teens sacks from him (if he stays on the field).

I always thought he looked a bit awkward., like he didn't really believe in himself but he seemed more relaxed and confident in himself in this Q&A. I think he'll turn a alot of heads this season

Hey pretty boy Tommy B.... Be scared.... really scared.... Watch your o-line collapse as Cam and Marcus devour you

What was his foot injury? Foot injuries because they carry so much weight tend to re-emerge over time. Hope I’m wrong.

great article KT, thanks for posting. In year three he should be primed to get to that "not thinking" point and have everything click. The only other ingredient will be health which involves so much luck - just like it does for everyone else. And the thing is, with his talent and physical size, I think he has the potential to not only become consistently productive for us but to jump straight into being one of the top rushers league wide.

Anything less than 50 tackles 12.0 sacks and 3-5FF I’ll be disappointed Davenport can be great.

Now would I take 40 Tackles 8+ Sacks and consistent pass rush in a heart beat .

But I know the potential is there

His most important achievement will be to get and stay healthy....I'm not as concerned about number of sacks (they are nice though) as I am with consistent QB pressures. Before he hurt his toe/foot (game 8 against Minn) he was on pace to lead the NFL in pressures....so...stay healthy Marcus and good things will happen....

Reminds me a lot of Reggie Bush back in the day. Always had posts about “breakout” games or seasons and he was good but never great. Not convinced yet on Davenport. Trey Hendrickson had moments last year where he was more effective.

Reminds me a lot of Reggie Bush back in the day. Always had posts about “breakout” games or seasons and he was good but never great. Not convinced yet on Davenport. Trey Hendrickson had moments last year where he was more effective.

big difference in those. Reggie was built to only be good at certain facets of the position he entered the NFL as. And I’m neither knocking Reggie or our selection of him. But he could not be used in all the ways that most every down backs can. Davenport is built to do whatever the heck he wants to at DE. And he has shown when healthy already that he will do just that.

the game replays of Davenport do not lie. It’s only a shame there isn’t more of it.

Davenport is part of the equation in winning another SB. I think he stays healthy and proves it to the doubters. The defensive line as a whole is set. Watch his reps and make sure he is fresh for the playoffs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom