He is the key to our defense ascending to a new level. If he can stay healthy all year our pass rush is going to be top 3 in the league. The talent on our d-line is there.

big difference in those. Reggie was built to only be good at certain facets of the position he entered the NFL as. And I’m neither knocking Reggie or our selection of him. But he could not be used in all the ways that most every down backs can. Davenport is built to do whatever the heck he wants to at DE. And he has shown when healthy already that he will do just that.

the game replays of Davenport do not lie. It’s only a shame there isn’t more of it.

Bush is the revolution of the RB position in today’s NFL players like him and Westbrook. Before Bush you didn’t see RBs lining up outside one on one or put in positions running the routes he did. While also putting up 3 1,000 yard rushing seasons in Miami and Detroit

His most important achievement will be to get and stay healthy....I'm not as concerned about number of sacks (they are nice though) as I am with consistent QB pressures. Before he hurt his toe/foot (game 8 against Minn) he was on pace to lead the NFL in pressures....so...stay healthy Marcus and good things will happen....

I’m Davenport biggest fan BEFORE we even drafted him it’s levels and staying healthy will produce results it’s time to HOLD HIS WEIGHT He was top 3 but wasn’t leading the NFL , 8 Sacks for a starting top tier DE is nice ... look at Clowney still on the market because he’s never hit double digit sacks no matter how dominant or many pressures at a certain point you have to make that switch this is MD year dude is a one man wreaking ball

big difference in those. Reggie was built to only be good at certain facets of the position he entered the NFL as. And I’m neither knocking Reggie or our selection of him. But he could not be used in all the ways that most every down backs can. Davenport is built to do whatever the heck he wants to at DE. And he has shown when healthy already that he will do just that.

the game replays of Davenport do not lie. It’s only a shame there isn’t more of it.

Totally agreed, a number of us knew RB was never going to be an every down 20-25 carry back, all you have to do is look at his lower body, he wasn't built for that.

It is an apple and oranges comparison. Davenport has the ideal frame/size/proportions to be a force at DE....

Bush is the revolution of the RB position in today’s NFL players like him and Westbrook. Before Bush you didn’t see RBs lining up outside one on one or put in positions running the routes he did. While also putting up 3 1,000 yard rushing seasons in Miami and Detroit

I loved RB (he actually was great in pass protection) but I wouldn't go that far. Marshall Faulk was doing similar things years before RB was drafted....to a lesser extent Darren Sproles was also. Faulk is already a HOFer and I think Sproles has a decent case as well (not for his rushing but for receiving and total yards). He had a good and relatively long career for a back but I don't think RB is quite at that level...

Davenport hasn't really come into his own body yet. His size/weight exploded in college & he changed positions. Does anybody remember your growing pains(not the muffaletta kind)? I never really grew(sadly, I HAVE shrunk to 5'6"), but saw the transition.

Rapidly changing body/hormones/environment.
Learning a new position.
New school program, w/less than ideal conditions.
Personal issues that had to be resolved.
The pressure of fan expectations.
Oddball injuries@ really bad times.

He's had the opportunity to work w/an excellent staff/facility/organization here & see the herculean effort put in by many of the players. Other than this cluster of a season, I think he's definitely primed.

I think Cams advice to him is spot on. If he wants to find the zone he is going to have to get to the point where he doesn't have to think about everything. And if he is playing full speed he is going to cuase chaos even if he is over aggressive. Jordan is probably licking his chops at the prospect of having chaos happening on the other side.

Totally agreed, a number of us knew RB was never going to be an every down 20-25 carry back, all you have to do is look at his lower body, he wasn't built for that.

It is an apple and oranges comparison. Davenport has the ideal frame/size/proportions to be a force at DE....

I loved RB (he actually was great in pass protection) but I wouldn't go that far. Marshall Faulk was doing similar things years before RB was drafted....to a lesser extent Darren Sproles was also. Faulk is already a HOFer and I think Sproles has a decent case as well (not for his rushing but for receiving and total yards). He had a good and relatively long career for a back but I don't think RB is quite at that level...

Faulk was great yet it stopped in 01 as far as receiving and even before look at the routes ran he wasn’t running deep routes . Since 06 a lot of RBs who wouldn’t have stood a chance have become focal points of teams offense it’s not just because of Bush it’s more so Payton because even DS receiving numbers went up teams didn’t find it as a must to have receiving backs , if you had a back who could catch it was just a plus fast forward to 2019 and look at all the RBs with 50+ catches in a season and YPC . It’s to the point where it’s made having a FB rare and The days of 6’4-6’5 - 250-260 pound LBs are history , rather Payton and Bush ever get the credit they deserve idk did Bush pan out to be what he was suppose to ? No but still productive career .Yet how teams In the NFL today play the game was forever changed by how Reggie and later Darren abused LBs and Safeties .

There isn’t 5 starting MLBs or WLB in the NFL today that weight over 250 pounds let that sink in that’s out of 64 eligible players

Faulk was great yet it stopped in 01 as far as receiving and even before look at the routes ran he wasn’t running deep routes . Since 06 a lot of RBs who wouldn’t have stood a chance have become focal points of teams offense it’s not just because of Bush it’s more so Payton because even DS receiving numbers went up teams didn’t find it as a must to have receiving backs , if you had a back who could catch it was just a plus fast forward to 2019 and look at all the RBs with 50+ catches in a season and YPC . It’s to the point where it’s made having a FB rare and The days of 6’4-6’5 - 250-260 pound LBs are history , rather Payton and Bush ever get the credit they deserve idk did Bush pan out to be what he was suppose to ? No but still productive career .Yet how teams In the NFL today play the game was forever changed by how Reggie and later Darren abused LBs and Safeties .

There isn’t 5 starting MLBs or WLB in the NFL today that weight over 250 pounds let that sink in that’s out of 64 eligible players

Not sure what you are saying here exactly but I don't think Bush revolutionized the position. There were plenty of running backs and FB's that had 50+ catches in the 80's and 90's. Bush's athleticism made him very unique and he was a great receiver out of the backfield, what kept him from being a HOFer was his lack of elite field vision and instincts (like Alvin Kamara)....

Not sure what you are saying here exactly but I don't think Bush revolutionized the position. There were plenty of running backs and FB's that had 50+ catches in the 80's and 90's. Bush's athleticism made him very unique and he was a great receiver out of the backfield, what kept him from being a HOFer was his lack of elite field vision and instincts (like Alvin Kamara)....
Obviously lol you miss the entire point , there were 15 RBs with 50+ catches and most agg over 8 yards a catch while back in the days you speak of backs were avg 4-7 yards a catch. You see the difference ? Also you totally missed, how teams have went from the Curtis Lofton, Brian Urlacher , Ray Lewis type LBs to the Bobby Wagner, Deion Jones, Ryan Shazier types

That’s a difference of about 15 pounds , 2-3 inches and speeds from 4.6-4.7 range to 4.3-4.4 range. That didn’t just happen it happened because teams couldn’t Stop Our RBs other teams picked up on this and it became a movement of lining your RB up all over the field . Also Bush did pretty good once he left New Orleans he put up better numbers than any of our Backs who were here in his Miami and Detroit years. Bush weakness was simple he wasn’t ready in 07 when it was his time and hurt 08 by the time he was ready to be Showtime Payton had his role set in stone

Obviously lol you miss the entire point , there were 15 RBs with 50+ catches and most agg over 8 yards a catch while back in the days you speak of backs were avg 4-7 yards a catch. You see the difference ? Also you totally missed, how teams have went from the Curtis Lofton, Brian Urlacher , Ray Lewis type LBs to the Bobby Wagner, Deion Jones, Ryan Shazier types

That’s a difference of about 15 pounds , 2-3 inches and speeds from 4.6-4.7 range to 4.3-4.4 range. That didn’t just happen it happened because teams couldn’t Stop Our RBs other teams picked up on this and it became a movement of lining your RB up all over the field . Also Bush did pretty good once he left New Orleans he put up better numbers than any of our Backs who were here in his Miami and Detroit years. Bush weakness was simple he wasn’t ready in 07 when it was his time and hurt 08 by the time he was ready to be Showtime Payton had his role set in stone

Roger Craig averaged almost 9 yards a catch over his career. Faulk did average 9 yards a catch. Going back even further our own Tony Galbreath (remember him?) averaged 8.3 yards a catch. Thurman Thomas 9.4...Dalton Hilliard 9 yards a catch.

Bush averaged 7.5 per catch, Sproles 8.8....I don't see the difference because there is no difference, there have always been RB's/FB's that average 8+ yards per catch....

As for LB's being smaller and quicker? I agree to some extent, but I think that is due to the NFL becoming more and more pass centric in general....

Roger Craig averaged almost 9 yards a catch over his career. Faulk did average 9 yards a catch. Going back even further our own Tony Galbreath (remember him?) averaged 8.3 yards a catch. Thurman Thomas 9.4...Dalton Hilliard 9 yards a catch.

Bush averaged 7.5 per catch, Sproles 8.8....I don't see the difference because there is no difference, there have always been RB's/FB's that average 8+ yards per catch....

As for LB's being smaller and quicker? I agree to some extent, but I think that is due to the NFL becoming more and more pass centric in general....

So just because Craig and Hilliard avg 9 yards a catch or 8 that means they were going deep ? Running slants ? Lining up all over the field? Or was it they just make people miss ? It’s a difference big difference your missing the point so I’m not going to keep debating you lol but I’ll say this is a copy cat league and teams have used Payton’s gimmicks to the point where it’s become a focal point in the NFL offense.

So just because Craig and Hilliard avg 9 yards a catch or 8 that means they were going deep ? Running slants ? Lining up all over the field? Or was it they just make people miss ? It’s a difference big difference your missing the point so I’m not going to keep debating you lol but I’ll say this is a copy cat league and teams have used Payton’s gimmicks to the point where it’s become a focal point in the NFL offense.

That's funny I don't remember Reggie or Sproles catching many deep passes, most of their big plays were off of screens or dumps to the flat in space. I guess I'm really not understanding your point here. Yes, occasionally they would line Reggie or Sproles in the slot but they didn't exactly run the whole slot WR route tree, in fact a lot of the time they were decoys....especially Reggie....

I do remember Reggie getting some longer dumps but I don't ever remember him actually running receiver type routes that we see from AK at times. Was he productive, yes. But he never turned into the type of back we thought we were getting or else he would not have been asked to take a pay cut. Nonetheless, even if you say he was a decoy much of the time (something you hear but I don't necessarily agree with) we won a Superbowl so it worked. And the pick gave this team excitement and momentum so the pick worked IMO also.

That's funny I don't remember Reggie or Sproles catching many deep passes, most of their big plays were off of screens or dumps to the flat in space. I guess I'm really not understanding your point here. Yes, occasionally they would line Reggie or Sproles in the slot but they didn't exactly run the whole slot WR route tree, in fact a lot of the time they were decoys....especially Reggie....
Go look at Reggies highlights ! Bush best routes was the wheel route , quick fade or seam route he was more of a route runner than Sproles but they weren’t exact clones ! But at the end of the day the way we used Bush and Payton gameplanned Rbs Teams caught on had made adjustments

I do remember Reggie getting some longer dumps but I don't ever remember him actually running receiver type routes that we see from AK at times. Was he productive, yes. But he never turned into the type of back we thought we were getting or else he would not have been asked to take a pay cut. Nonetheless, even if you say he was a decoy much of the time (something you hear but I don't necessarily agree with) we won a Superbowl so it worked. And the pick gave this team excitement and momentum so the pick worked IMO also.

I agree. I liked Reggie, thought he was a complete football player, willing to pass protect, he was actually a pretty fierce blocker. He had HOF level athleticism, he just didn't have the elite vision to be a HOF back. He was a huge part of our Super bowl team, no question....but he didn't really revolutionize the position...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom