Marcus Davenport was a pass-rushing nightmare at UTSA. The Saints are getting a good one. (1 Viewer)

• Admin
snews.gif

Retired NFL defensive lineman Stephen White breaks down the pass rusher who might have the highest ceiling of any in the draft.

By Stephen White

The Saints traded up to pick UTSA defensive end Marcus Davenport with the 14th overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft on Thursday. Here’s a scouting report on his game from someone who’d know how to scout him— a retired NFL defensive end:

I happened to have watched some of Marcus Davenport’s tape for the first time the Saturday morning before the combine workouts that day, and came away pretty impressed.

That’s why when I heard someone (*cough* Mike Mayock *cough*) say Davenport was “more raw than (Jadeveon) Clowney” later on during the combine broadcast, I was a little confused.

I loved Clowney coming out and made the case for him being the No. 1 pick overall, but one of the major selling points for me was Clowney’s technique was sorely lacking both as a pass rusher and a run defender. In my mind that made his ceiling pretty high because if he could ever get his technique polished up, Clowney would be damn near unblockable with his size and athletic ability.

Full Article -- SB Nation

Last edited by a moderator:
Dan

Dan

Admin

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom