Marcus Davenport's level of importance for Saints success in 2021 (1 Viewer)

I’m a big believer in having a stud at all three levels of defense. It’s also helpful if you have at least one joker/general nuisance as well, but not necessary.

Lattimore is a stud, even if a bit inconsistent. Davis is absolutely a stud, but long in the tooth and we need to hit on a LB stud to replace him, draft or FA next year, sooner rather than later. And Gardner-Johnson is a very effective joker/general nuisance!

Then there is Davenport. He is still only 24 and even through all the growing pains and injuries, we have all seen him make plays that “normal” NFL players just can’t make. Now maybe he becomes the ultra dominant weak side defense of end that we all hoped for, or maybe he becomes the next 10 year anchor on the other side to replace Jordan. Personally I’m fine with either one. But if he does bust, it will be a huge blow to both the short and long term success of the Saints’ defense.

I’m a big believer in having a stud at all three levels of defense. It’s also helpful if you have at least one joker/general nuisance as well, but not necessary.

Lattimore is a stud, even if a bit inconsistent. Davis is absolutely a stud, but long in the tooth and we need to hit on a LB stud to replace him, draft or FA next year, sooner rather than later. And Gardner-Johnson is a very effective joker/general nuisance!

Then there is Davenport. He is still only 24 and even through all the growing pains and injuries, we have all seen him make plays that “normal” NFL players just can’t make. Now maybe he becomes the ultra dominant weak side defense of end that we all hoped for, or maybe he becomes the next 10 year anchor on the other side to replace Jordan. Personally I’m fine with either one. But if he does bust, it will be a huge blow to both the short and long term success of the Saints’ defense.
Good post, and agreed.
Davenport will need to raise his level of play significantly tho if he’s to attain either level you allude to in your post. Hoping he does.
And speaking of long in the tooth, we need someone to replace Jordan soon as well, he’s getting up there in age and has had very many snaps.

Davenport has been injured his first three seasons with the Saints. It is very important that he stays healthy and plays a lot more consistent. I believe the talent is there with Davenport, but it's like most of us have stated, he needs to stay healthy and become the impact player that the Saints thought they were getting when they drafted him. Another point is he was somewhat of a raw talent at DE when we drafted him. Hopefully this will be the year he puts it all together. And if he does lets hope we don't have to let him walk in FA like Hendrickson.

The way that I see it, Davenport's role is not vital, he is a luxury item. We can live without him, but if he is at his best, our defence will be excellent.

Davenport should not hold a starter position at right or left defensive end. He should be a guy attacking from the outside, sometimes inside and at some point even from a linebacker position.

His contribution should not come from the total of sacks or even pressures. He should disturb at the wrong side of the offensive line. He should create confusion.

I think Granderson is the guy that gonna get most passing down snaps. Davenport and Toga for alot of base snaps. Davenport still pretty effective on stunts. Granderson who is making gains with his technique and game

He really is not a top 10 key player- its still mostly potential. The sting of the Chiefs stealing Mahomes was probably fresh in the Saints mind when they gave up a lot for Davenport that they obviously paid too high a price for him. Hopefully he works out but it probably will not be in the next year or so thus any potential breakout would occur with another team. Still, the Saints drafting record is incredibly good over the past 5 years so we will have some that miss.

Hoping for the best, but we lost a lot of talent on the defensive line. I think Malcom Brown is going to be more missed than Davenport production.

Through the ups and downs of Davenport injuries career we have found substitute replacements. Keep in mind the same was said of Hendrickson until his contract year break out.

"T Rex getting 50-60 sacks in his prime next 6 years" Not even Treys agent would be that, wildly optimistic. TH has had only one (special) yr of production. Treys body will not hold up for 6 yrs, much less, post double digit sacks in his twilight yrs.
At this stage, safe to say Davenport is what he is and can show the occasional flash play a few times a year.

Unfortunately he is oft-injured and disappears in too many games to ever be considered for a big 2nd contract.

With Jordan in his twilight, I think we will Miss and regret T Rex. I can easily see T Rex getting 50-60 sacks in his prime next 6 years while we wonder where the pass rush went.

"T Rex getting 50-60 sacks in his prime next 6 years" Not even Treys agent would be that, wildly optimistic. TH has had only one (special) yr of production. Treys body will not hold up for 6 yrs, much less, post double digit sacks in his twilight yrs.
Why do you think Trey's body won't hold up?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom