Marcus Davenport's level of importance for Saints success in 2021 (1 Viewer)

BCK30

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I believe that after Alvin Kamara and Michael Thomas, Marcus Davenport's play and health will prove vital to how the Saints fare in 2021. Assuming Jameis Winston is the starting QB, I think he will do fine with his share of ups and downs of course. Demario Davis is pretty important too but I feel that Davenport must prove that he is ready to ascend sort of the same way Trey Hendrickson did last season. It's safe to say the Saints passed on re signing Hendrickson because they feel Davenport can step in and play a bigger role. I sure hope they are right because he has shown flashes of brilliance from time to time. But again, he must prove that he was worth trading up for in 2018. He can not be the weak link of the Defensive Line in 2021!!!

I believe that after Alvin Kamara and Michael Thomas, Marcus Davenport's play and health will prove vital to how the Saints fare in 2021. Assuming Jameis Winston is the starting QB, I think he will do fine with his share of ups and downs of course. Demario Davis is pretty important too but I feel that Davenport must prove that he is ready to ascend sort of the same way Trey Hendrickson did last season. It's safe to say the Saints passed on re signing Hendrickson because they feel Davenport can step in and play a bigger role. I sure hope they are right because he has shown flashes of brilliance from time to time. But again, he must prove that he was worth trading up for in 2018. He can not be the weak link of the Defensive Line in 2021!!!
We need Dav to be the line anchor plain and simple. If he does that rest of D-line falls in place

I’m reminded of when I was a kid and the Atari gaming console came out. I knew it would be the lynchpin of my Christmas presents. If I only got it the rest of my Christmas vacation would fall into place.
I got a rock tumbler.
Man that stinks. My fav. Christmas was getting a Nintendo with Mario and duckhunt.

Actually your story sounds like a Jacked up version of the Christmas story

I’m reminded of when I was a kid and the Atari gaming console came out. I knew it would be the lynchpin of my Christmas presents. If I only got it the rest of my Christmas vacation would fall into place.
I got a rock tumbler.
I'm 40 but I gotta ask, what's a rock tumbler?

And yeah it would be great if Davenport could stay healthy and reach his potential. I believe in him.

Davenport has to have his coming out party this year. It’s a must he becomes who we thought he would be and he stays healthy.

A wise man once said: In one hand, you get to put all your wishes. In your other hand, you get crap. Guess which one fills up faster?

We're all wishing for Davenport to be what we dreamed of when we traded up for him. But I'm not holding my breath . . . except to pinch my nose.

If I had to rank the importance of each position/player(s) I would go:

1. The QB play
2. Thomas
3. Lattimore
4. Kamara
5. Davis
6. Jordan
7. O-line
8. Onyemata
9. Davenport
10. Trautman
11. Safety group

That's based on a mix of depth, talent and position value. For example, o-line and safety are pushed down because they are decently full position groups compared to the others. Kamara goes up because he's uber-talented.

Davenport is the first non-established star, non-QB on my list. So I think it's fair to say his improvement is tied to our success more than anyone. Everyone else above him is just about health and repeating past performances. With the obvious caveat of QB.

At this stage, safe to say Davenport is what he is and can show the occasional flash play a few times a year.

Unfortunately he is oft-injured and disappears in too many games to ever be considered for a big 2nd contract.

With Jordan in his twilight, I think we will Miss and regret T Rex. I can easily see T Rex getting 50-60 sacks in his prime next 6 years while we wonder where the pass rush went.

I'm 40 but I gotta ask, what's a rock tumbler?

And yeah it would be great if Davenport could stay healthy and reach his potential. I believe in him
rock tumbler polishes rocks by using a rolling barrel with a polishing substance - i used one to polish rocks for an aquarium

counting on Dav at this point is a gamble - if he has trade value and an opportunity arises to get value i make the deal

what we dont want to do is treat him as Peat

His level of importance has been very high for the last 2 seasons... He has been up and down at best and injured quite a bit... If not for guys like Hendrickson, Onyemata, Roach and Granderson stepping up... we'd be screwed honestly. He's been a huge disappointment in my mind, especially considering what it cost us to get him.

Not sure Payton is counting on Dav. He knows there are health issues that keep him off the field. He's been burned by this more than once, but surely knows better now. Maybe he should have kept Hendrickson, but he also has chronic health issues.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom