Marcus Mariota? (2 Viewers)

If you want to keep Taysom in his role or even expand it (and I want to) the Saints have to carry three QBs. You can’t have your only backup get hurt on a STs play. So if Teddy walks and they resign Drew I think it’s a possibility to bring in Mariota unless they draft a guy. There’s talent there and I think Payton excels at working to a player’s strengths. I know he’s looked pretty mediocre in the NFL but you never know. I wouldn’t necessarily be against it.

If Bridgewater walks and Mariota is willing to sign very cheap then it's well worth a look.

For being very athletic he was horrible at working a pocket and extending plays. He could take designed runs but beyond that he couldn't create with his feet. That should have helped his poor pocket passing. I don't think you can fix that. To even be a good immobile pocket passer you need to read a pocket.

Bridgey is better than Mariota. I think this thread is about a new backup for Brees when Bridgey leaves to be a starter. That actually equates to “love for Teddy” IMO.

Exactly. This is a "what-if analysis" of Bridgewater or Brees leaving and the Saints not being able to draft a 1st round QB. Who do you get to fill in then? I would like to see what Payton could do with Mariota as a backup, he's still young and has some talent.

Now for some reason if we don't have either Brees or Bridgewater, then you better make sure you get a high QB pick. As we analyzed in another thread, there really isn't a starting quality QB that could be traded for at this point.

What about Andy Dalton? I believe he would do well with our weapons and genius of a coach.

What about Andy Dalton? I believe he would do well with our weapons and genius of a coach.

I hadn't really considered Dalton, but I would be open to it. I think he fits better with what the Patriots do, however.

His problems are mental, he needs seasoning and a better team situation. He has a problem finding progressions but that takes a good teacher and OL. I've seen him hit 2-3 tight windows in a row, and he can do it on the run. Worth taking a look, he would make a great backup if nothing else.

I like the idea.

He’s a mobile QB that can throw, just needs time to learn the system. Drew/ Payton are the best combo for turning him around

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom