Marcus Mariota? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
At one time he was considered a future star but then fizzled? Please don’t think I’m advocating for him but do you think with a change scenery he can show more and can possibly be a future for Saints? I have t followed him too much so I though I’d ask those who know more than me. Thanks.

He is just not a good Passer, very awkward delivery where he just seems to push* the ball forward with a shotput like delivery.

There are already a large contingent of posters that complain about Drew's deep passing, Mariota is actually worse, his pass attempts over 30 yards just float in the air forever.

Ok good enough just wondering. Thanks
Ok...End thread....Just kidding. Anyway kind of coincidence I looked at a video about him on You Tube and how he has fallen off so quickly. I mean really after a 4 or 5 years and all the chances he got, I have already put him in the "bust" category. I was once intrigued by him when he came out but he was never consistent. He still holds the ball long, often injured, doesn't go through his progression well. I get annoyed just seeing him under center because I he isn't a good quarterback. He is one of the reason why I take college quarterback who does so well in college with a grain of salt.

I’d sure as heck prefer perusing him over dropping 3 drafts and some young talent on Joe Burrow.

I wonder what Mariota could do in a short pass heavy system. One where he’d be able to utilize his mobility on read options and roll outs.

I totally get that he got benched for a reason and now his team is a game away from the Super Bowl — but if the price was right, why not?

Teddy is going to get a big offer from someone. So if Teddy bolts for a big deal, why not kick the tires on MM if the price is right.

It took Ryan Tannehill getting into a new system that fits him. Maybe the same can be said for Marcus Mariota. You never know. There are countless examples of players that flourished in different systems. The question is does Payton think he can salvage this guy’s career?

It took Ryan Tannehill getting into a new system that fits him. Maybe the same can be said for Marcus Mariota. You never know. There are countless examples of players that flourished in different systems. The question is does Payton think he can salvage this guy’s career?
I always thought Tannehill was a good quarterback in a real bad situation. He was never elite but solid. I kind of compare him to Cousin. Mariota couldn't adjust to the pro style offense that was needed of him. Coming from a spread offense in college, he still doesn't look comfortable in the pros. After five years, I think that is what he is. And to think going to this complex Payton's offense will do him any good? Nah. I will pass easily.

It’s a combination of scheme and fit. If he lands on a team that can effectively utilize his strengths, he could be competent. Look at guys like Foles, Keenum, Alex Smith, Fitzpatrick, and now Tannehill who found a good situation which revitalized their careers. Not sure how Mariota’s career will progress but he’s definitely young enough to find an ideal situation somewhere around the league.

It’s a combination of scheme and fit. If he lands on a team that can effectively utilize his strengths, he could be competent. Look at guys like Foles, Keenum, Alex Smith, Fitzpatrick, and now Tannehill who found a good situation which revitalized their careers. Not sure how Mariota’s career will progress but he’s definitely young enough to find an ideal situation somewhere around the league.
Mariota needs to go to a team that runs an RPO style Offense, he would probably be a good fit with Doug Pederson in Philly. (even just to be Wentz' back-up)

Payton runs a pretty complex passing Offense that requires his Quarterback to go through Multiple reads, and be good pre-snap. That's not Mariota at all.

As I've proposed elsewhere, let Teddy go, bring Drew back as starter, give Taysom more full drives at QB when offense struggles and certainly in blowout either way. Then bring in vet who knows his status is 3rd QB and will only play in case of injury. I like Mariota in that spot to sit, learn and develop as a passer. He will also be the perfect backup when Taysom takes over as he has mobility to run the RPO plays which will certainly be a big part of the Saints O with Taysom at QB

If that’s our choice I’d rather draft QB first round this year. Tua if healthy enough or Herbert.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom