Marcus Williams. Starting to get old. (2 Viewers)

Reaction score
The play against the Vikings. Big mistake. Young up and comer will learn from it.

Last year seemed to play better.

This year. Someone here complained about his tackling, or lack of, on the Watson TD run. I over looked it. Thought it a fluke.
Yesterday he did the same crap. On the long TD pass to Kupp(?) what does he do? The same crap. Put his head down and hit the WR with the back of his shoulder.

Keep your head up and wrap up. Dang. It really is getting old now. Coaches have to see it. I’m sure they have tried to fix it.

I started a thread like this in BTL. He needs to figure it out or go. He was not "fine" last season. He regressed last year and his tackling is not good. He is either a CB who can't cover, or a safety who can't tackle. His instincts do noting to impress. I am not ok with him as a starter. He has hurt the team too many times without having the good plays to make up for it. There has to be more to being a Saints FS than knowing the defense and being able to run semi-fast.

He’d make a decent SS. He likes to play closer to the line and is always looking to jump underneath routes. The problem is as the FS he should be looking to stay over the top and cover the deep routes, but instead he keeps spying on the underneath stuff and leaving the CBs exposed.

Well, then there’s the tackling which is miserable given he’s had over two years to fix it and he still wants to look at the grass while he whiffs hits.

Didn't he make an impressive pick against Houston? One where he came from across the field to cut off the receiver and make the pick?

You take the good with the bad. He'll be fine. Our defense held them to 6 points before they were gassed because the offense couldn't get a first down in the second half.

He’s going to be cut. And proceed to make tons of Pro Bowls. The talent is all there.
I wouldn't doubt that but he's regressed here.

It wouldn't be the first player from our defensive system to look lost and go elsewhere and find a groove. It raises questions that linger about the coaching on that side of the ball. No matter how the staff gets re-arranged.

Didn't he make an impressive pick against Houston? One where he came from across the field to cut off the receiver and make the pick?

You take the good with the bad. He'll be fine. Our defense held them to 6 points before they were gassed because the offense couldn't get a first down in the second half.

It's not his freakin job to high tail it across the field to make a pick at the last second... He is the SAFETY! Nothing should get behind him.... What if Watson pump faked to that half the field instead? Now Williams is six steps out of position before he can turn around to see his man catching the ball and running it to an easy touchdown. Lack of proper free safety play on this team is why teams are always one play away from a TD on us, and how the Texans almost beat us. From the coaching to the players... our safety play sucks!

We thought Malcolm Jenkins was a bust and look how that’s turned out.

Jenkins was terrible with us. I don't care how well he's doing with another team. I only care about how players are playing with THIS team. Marcus Williams (to me) looks like Malcolm Jenkins 2.0 with his bad angles and lowering his head to launch at players instead of wrapping up.

He is talented. As a rookie, he looked like a future foundation player. But he regressed last year, and he too often appears to be late with deep coverage. And his strength is supposed to be his instincts and ball skills.

He has never been the same player since the missed tackle at the end of the Minnesota game.

Something's just not right with our secondary, and I'm starting to lean toward scheme. I am not that knowledgeable on defensive schemes. All I know is we have two 1st round corners out there. We should not be getting torched on chunk plays so often. Marcus Williams seems to always be out of position and arriving when it's too late. Something has to give. The tackling look atrocious yesterday, not just with Williams, but the entire defense.

Jenkins was terrible with us. I don't care how well he's doing with another team. I only care about how players are playing with THIS team. Marcus Williams (to me) looks like Malcolm Jenkins 2.0 with his bad angles and lowering his head to launch at players instead of wrapping up.
Are there coaching and scheme factors in common between Jenkins and Williams?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom