Marcus Williams was so bad (1 Viewer)

The entire defense was a let down. Lattimore gave up the touchdown..... Apple got picked on all day. The outside linemen didn’t control the edge. The linebackers got beat a lot on coverage. Just one of those days where the opponent calls a great game to beat the scheme the Saints were running... The misdirections seemed to have them scrambling all game. The simple motions before the snap was confusing the front and backers all game.

That long pass to Emmanuel Sanders early in the game was the ugliest defensive play I’ve seen all year.

the play where he went down backwards he was pulled down by Sanders who had a handful of jersey mid back -

has to be frustrating to be a Saints DB with the refs I except a flag on every pass defended

yea, it was just a bad game all around for the defense. I didn't get to watch, but it didn't sound like our D-line wasn't very disruptive today either.
Our whole defense was about as disruptive as a comatose pigeon.
The entire defense was a let down. Lattimore gave up the touchdown..... Apple got picked on all day. The outside linemen didn’t control the edge. The linebackers got beat a lot on coverage. Just one of those days where the opponent calls a great game to beat the scheme the Saints were running... The misdirections seemed to have them scrambling all game. The simple motions before the snap was confusing the front and backers all game.
Makes me wish we had Sam out there.He’d have called their plays before their QB could relay them.

He was quite bad. Getting beat on deep balls consistently is the mark of bad safety play. And the guy just cannot tackle.

You sayin we have another Tebucky? ?

The experiment needs to be done.

But to be fair.

Allen is calling the alignment and responsibilities and those have been flawed too and not putting the right players in the right places in key situations.

Can we count up the number of times in Allen's tenure we have given up the end zone or points with about a minute left and a team starting from their own 25? Sometimes with no TOs?

It's a thing Allen has a knack for...giving up the endzone with a minute or less left.

Agreed and with us going to the playoffs and knowing that those games often come down to the last minute or so, we need to change the strategy. It’s sickening to not feel confident that the Saints can close out a close game with under a minute left if the other team has the ball.

He kept trying to punch the ball out instead of just tackling him. Marcus has had a good season overall, but he's not a good tackler.

He’s played well this year but today was bad. All he had to do was tackle Kittle, but instead he let himself get carried for 15 yards and gave them an extra 15 on the face mask.

The lack of confidence you talk about is what bothers me. I trusted the 87 (probably b/c I was a kid), 06, 09, 11, and 18 teams. I don't trust this team. We're too sloppy. I hope they get it together and prove me wrong. I really, really do.

Agreed and with us going to the playoffs and knowing that those games often come down to the last minute or so, we need to change the strategy. It’s sickening to not feel confident that the Saints can close out a close game with under a minute left if the other team has the ball.

Kittle detailed it in his post game interview. He basically said GJ took an inside position which made his choice to go outside an easy one. He complemented GJ as a really good matchup that he enjoyed competing against all game. fwiw, he also said the dome was the best environment he had ever played in, saying the fans were amazing and the atmosphere insane.

The 49ers knew it was man coverage with motion before the snap. The Niners were in a bunch formation with Kittle behind the group. GJ moved over taking a position head up (in front) of Kittle. You can see GJ freeze post snap. He did not shade inside. He froze giving Kittle a step outside. He should have aggressively attacked Kittle. Maybe even get physical. GJ was too far away from Kittle when the ball arrived. I do not blame GJ as I thought we should have been in zone and he is a rookie ( I like his playing style). The last thing we needed to give up was a chunk play...and we did. Can we get into the poor tackling technique of Williams later? I need to mourn some more. (Why or why would you try to hit Kittle high when he has a head of steam?)

When he's the single high Safety in passing situations where he's the "help safety" (has a CB or LB in trail position) he seems fine, and at times even excels there... his issue is when he's not the "help safety".... and he gets a match up where he's singled up deep on jump balls.... or has to make a "last line of defense" open field tackle...

IMO... He panics in those situations quite a bit, and we all see the results of that.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom