Marcus Williams (1 Viewer)

...needs to learn how to keep his head up when attempting to make a tackle. On Watson’s TD run, he had a chance to lay a hit on Watson at the 3 and instead, Watson did a little hop and avoided a diving Williams, with his head down. It has to stop. Aside from the fact he could get injured and a concussion.
You would think he would have learned in Minny.

I had really high hopes for Marcus when we drafted him. He was seen as a possible ball hawk with good size at 6’1” 200 lbs. He looked great as a rookie up until the play that possibly cost us a trip to the Super Bowl. I was hoping that play would motivate him and bring his game to another level, but it seemed to do the opposite.

He had the dreaded sophomore slump for sure last year, so we went out and drafted 2 safeties. He looked like the player I was hoping he would be on that interception, but then he turned around & had that terrible play in a big spot. I hope he will eventually turn it around in these next few weeks cause if not I hope we give CGJ a shot. I know he had that huge penalty, but that was such a ticky tack play that was really close to being a great play being he was kind of close for the block.

I don’t know we shall see but my patience is running thin with him and I’m sure it’s the same with the staff.

There’s a reason Safeties are Safeties and not Cornerbacks. Hopkins was abusing our best CB in Lattimore all night and y’all are expecting Williams to cover him? Obviously Williams did a lot of good things to be rated so high buy PFF. Plus he’s still young and has a lot of room to improve

This is also false.

Up until that 34 yard catch at the end of the game Lattimore only allowed 12 yards and 1 td when matched against Hopkins. For going against the best WR in football he really held his own.

Deshaun Watson is 6-2, 215 lbs.

Marcus Williams is 6-1, 195 lbs. If Watson is coming straight at Williams, then you might argue that he has the momentum to run Marcus over. If Marcus is coming at Watson from the side like that, he's going to crush Watson, not the other way around. That was an opportunity to knock Watson out of bounds before he crossed the goal line.

Dude was not even close to the block. The kicker finished his follow through and was standing on both feet by the time he flew in and foolishly hit him. Dumb play.
I know he had that huge penalty, but that was such a ticky tack play that was really close to being a great play being he was kind of close for the block.

Lattimore gave up 4 reception for 51 yards and a touchdown how is that being abused

My bad, so abused was a poor choice of words. My point was even Lattimore, our best CB, allowed catches and TD’s to Hopkins but people are expecting Williams to do better!

There’s a reason Safeties are Safeties and not Cornerbacks. Hopkins was abusing our best CB in Lattimore all night and y’all are expecting Williams to cover him? Obviously Williams did a lot of good things to be rated so high buy PFF. Plus he’s still young and has a lot of room to improve

You spelled PJ Williams wrong.

My bad, so abused was a poor choice of words. My point was even Lattimore, our best CB, allowed catches and TD’s to Hopkins but people are expecting Williams to do better!

Before the 38 yard pass that Latt gave up due to Williams not covering that side of the field like he was supposed to he had given up 13 yards.....that's lock down dude.

I have never been on the Marcus train.

I loved the draft pick, and I loved his measurables and potential.

Save for a few flashes, I have never been impressed by his play. I always chalked it up to youth, scheme, and playing over the top where you can always blame the CB.

I think this year will define him. He's not terrible, so even a little improvement will make him a "good" Free Safety. But, he definitely needs to turn it up a notch and play a little more aggressively, or he will be easy to replace.**

**The B word is not in play here, Marcus plays well enough to dodge that tag.

Yes, we are, because most of that 51 yards came on a long pass that Williams screwed his coverage up on. Lattimore isn't not magic. He still needs safety help when a WR runs the Cover 2 buster toward the sideline. Instead, Williams cut toward the other half of the field, which was simply not his assignment. There's no excuse for that.

Williams is not a terrible safety, but he's making mental mistakes we can't continue to have.

Williams struggles are mostly due to scheme. On that last TD to Stills Allen decided to play a weird coverage to try to bracket Hopkins and Williams ended up having to come down to the crossing TE leaving the middle of the field wide open.. with PJ in one on one with Stills.

If that wasn't the playcall then Williams messed that up, but I can't imagine he would willingly give up his deep 3rd in a prevent situation.

Allen's playcalling in the final 2 min of games need to improve or we are not winning a title this year. He has been bad at this for a while. Brees and Lutz bailed him out.

Marcus Williams can improve his tackling technique, that's true. But, you need to give him his props. We were losing 3-14 at halftime. Somebody needed to step up and make a momentum changing play and that was Marcus Williams with the 3rd quarter INT. He was in great position to make that play and he did it. That changed the complexion of the whole game and gave the Saints offense the momentum they needed to take charge.

Many also forget that with the Minny Miracle game that it was Marcus Williams that earlier made the momentum changing INT that turned that game completely around. Yes, in the end his mistake cost us dearly, but we would have been toast much earlier without that INT.

Go review some Saints film of Tebucky Jones and then tell me how bad Marcus William is.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom