Mardi Gras 2021 (Parades, Some Krewes going Virtual) Not Happening! (2 Viewers)

Reaction score
Sorry folks

Parades of any kind will not be permitted this year because large gatherings have proven to be super spreader events of the COVID-19 virus," the FAQ titled “Mardi Gras 2021 FAQs.”

You might find better luck in Jefferson Parish for Mardi Gras in 2021.

Update:

Last edited:
From what I've heard from my parents in Barataria/Lafitte, apparently the virus doesn't exist down there. Maybe move Mardi Gras to Lafitte? I guess the virus doesn't know how to cross the Intracoastal Canal.

/sarcasm

Per Arthur Hardy Mardi Gras Balls probably won’t happen either . Very strict rules.
No dancing!

Last Friday’s announcement from the mayor’s office, which detailed further restrictions on indoor gatherings, will almost certainly cause most if not all of the remaining traditional balls to cancel. Krewes are required to apply for a permit with the city to stage their private events, at which they must agree to do contact tracing, allow no dancing, no buffets and no alcohol after 11 p.m. These same regulations will be in place for events such as the Endymion Extravaganza, the Bacchus Rendezvous and the Orpheuscapade.

Per Arthur Hardy Mardi Gras Balls probably won’t happen either . Very strict rules.
No dancing!

All of this goes to two primary ideas: (1) Close-quarters gatherings of large numbers of people should be avoided, (2) indoor gatherings that put people together for extended periods of time should be avoided.

The public health aspects aren't particularly controversial.

V4ewvzS.gif

All of this goes to two primary ideas: (1) Close-quarters gatherings of large numbers of people should be avoided, (2) indoor gatherings that put people together for extended periods of time should be avoided.

The public health aspects aren't particularly controversial.
Possibly another country shutdown too. None of this(Mardi Gras)will happen.

Last edited:
Welp.

Not surprising, especially given all the bad press she got for not stopping Mardi Gras this year.

On a related note, with no MG in '20 or '21 and (I'm assuming) no JazzFest or other festivals again in '21 the city will be going under (municipal bankruptcy) sometime in late '21 or early '22.

They already took out a huge loan with Deutsche Bank on unfavorable terms to get through 2020. It's unlikely to happen a 2nd time..

Welp.

Not surprising, especially given all the bad press she got for not stopping Mardi Gras this year.

On a related note, with no MG in '20 or '21 and (I'm assuming) no JazzFest or other festivals again in '21 the city will be going under (municipal bankruptcy) sometime in late '21 or early '22.

They already took out a huge loan with Deutsche Bank on unfavorable terms to get through 2020. It's unlikely to happen a 2nd time..

I'm sure the politics and the nation wide criticism she took for having Mardi Gras last year influenced her decision, but there really was no choice. 2020 Mardi Gras was probably the main reason that New Orleans was such a hot spot early in the pandemic and we started from zero cases in New Orleans and not many in the country. If we had parades in 2021 with the level of cases we have now in New Orleans and then add in people from around the country from areas that have outbreaks, it would be exponentially worse this time around.

Dorothy May says " no need to hold my beer"...

dmt.jpg

Sorry folks

You might find better luck in Jefferson Parish for Mardi Gras in 2021.

This is not ‘breaking news’.. Not directing this at the OP, since I’ve seen it as Breaking News this morning on other sites as well, but my brother has a company that does a little bit of contract work for the City of NO, and he told me way back in March of this year, when the pandemic and lockdowns were first starting - that word from the Mayor’s office is that there would be no Mardi Gras in 2021.. i thought he was mistaken so I asked him to repeat himself, but he said that’s right, 2021.. He is in no way an ‘insider’ with any special clearance or whatever, so if my brother has known for 7 or 8 months, then it’s pretty common knowledge... and honestly, when you sit back and realize that Mardi Gras 2021 is less than 3 months from today, then it’s a no-brainer to cancel it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom