Mardi Gras 2021 (Parades, Some Krewes going Virtual) Not Happening! (3 Viewers)

I ride in Endymion, and I don't believe it's happening. What it sounds like is, Latoya is saying the city has a plan but the krewes aren't agreeing to it, so no mardi gras so don't blame me. I feel like we should probably take a year off anyways. One of my favorite parts about riding is just seeing the sea of people. I'm willing to sacrifice my ride just to get those crowds back safely.

This is hilarious.. So some people think LaToya is trying to ‘save face’ or something? Literally NO MATTER what she does, or doesnt do, ignoramuses will continue to refer to her as “Destroya” and criticize every single thing she does.. Whatever happens with MG 2021 will have zero effect on what people think of her.. I personally didnt vote for her, but to me it’s silly to see how people in the NOLA metro blame her for EVERYTHING.
thats the "risk" any elected official takes. from small town mayor to president. cant please everyone, so the other half will always complain.

This is about as surprising as the shock that comes after sticking a fork in a power outlet.
Not everybody knew

It’s a total shock at this moment," said Dan Kelly, president of the Krewe of Endymion, who had been fielding calls and messages Tuesday morning from other krewes surprised at the news.

Kelly had attended the Mayor's Mardi Gras Advisory Committee meeting less than two weeks ago and "she didn't say anything about there not being any parades.”

"Hopefully it’s a mistake," Kelly said Tuesday morning,
Nope not a mistake

During a press conference Tuesday, Tidwell argued that the decision by Cantrell to ban parades next year was always likely given the coronavirus restrictions in place — notably one that prohibits outdoor public gatherings of more than 250 people.

"I don't think this should be a surprise to anyone," Tidwell said

thats the "risk" any elected official takes. from small town mayor to president. cant please everyone, so the other half will always complain.

But not like this.. She is a mayor of a mid-size American city who’s only been in office for 2 or 3 yrs, yet , if you listen to a lot of people (including a lot of my own family and friends )- you’d think she was single-handedly responsible for a global pandemic.. and that somehow she WANTS her city to hemorrhage money and cripple her budget.. it would be comical if it wasnt all so tragic.. But i guess people need a scapegoat, an ‘enemy’ to lay every single thing at the feet of.

But not like this.. She is a mayor of a mid-size American city who’s only been in office for 2 or 3 yrs, yet , if you listen to a lot of people (including a lot of my own family and friends )- you’d think she was single-handedly responsible for a global pandemic.. and that somehow she WANTS her city to hemorrhage money and cripple her budget.. it would be comical if it wasnt all so tragic.. But i guess people need a scapegoat, an ‘enemy’ to lay every single thing at the feet of.
Its the world we're living in unfortunately. happened to the presidential race on both sides. happens in lafayette where i live. no matter what any politician does, one half will say its wrong, other half says its right. social media has ruined a lot of things like this.

Parades can be postponed til later in the year. That way she could have salvaged some of those tourism dollars. Oh well.

I agree. I don't like Cantrell as a person and I don't like a lot of what she does. I didn't vote for her and won't vote for her in the next election. But she gets blamed for everything at this point whether it is her fault or not. And, a lot is her fault, but blaming her for things she didn't do doesn't really help us get a new and better Mayor.

Parades can be postponed til later in the year. That way she could have salvaged some of those tourism dollars. Oh well.
Based on what we know she is making the right decision. I also agree that leaving an opening for a later date makes sense and would appease many who find fault with the decision.

Based on what we know she is making the right decision. I also agree that leaving an opening for a later date makes sense and would appease many who find fault with the decision.

Screw appeasement. Just make the decision and call it a day. Can't make everyone happy. I'm making a decision for the sake of public health, not for any other reason. Probably why I'm not a politician.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom