Mardi Gras beads: When is it okay to wear them? (1 Viewer)

I sometimes eat red beans and rice other than on Mondays.
Well, of course you do! That “beans on Monday” thing was before washing machines and the Saints, so I think the rule no longer applies.

Sunday is game day, so instead you soak them Sunday night, cook them all day Monday then put the fried off sausage in just before you put them in the icebox. Warm them slowly on a low heat for a couple hours Tuesday afternoon before you eat them that night.

Because everybody knows they’re better after sleeping in the fridge for a night. Right?

1/2 of me agrees with you but 3/4 of me strenuously objects
I don’t want to celebrate Christmas on May14th
Don’t want to have Easter in October
- sure culturally we’ve moved away from feast days and seasonal celebrations based on available food or weather, et al. But it still seems important to recognize cycles even as our lives continue to flatten

Here's the thing though. It's a Football game. It's essentially a big party. Many people are in costumes, team gear, or Jersey's. So, essentially everyone is dressed up in some form of costume to a game. Wearing color coordinated beads, is just part of the costume.

Cheap plastic crap isn't just for Mardi Gras. Now, if he was wearing some Krewe D'etat beads, I'd be more sympathetic to the whole "out of season" discussion. But, so long as LSU has the same colors as Mardi Gras.. you're gonna get those colors of beads being worn. Just like Saints fans will wear black and gold beads.

Who knows.. maybe it made the guy just a little bit more fun to be around?

Here's the thing though. It's a Football game. It's essentially a big party. Many people are in costumes, team gear, or Jersey's. So, essentially everyone is dressed up in some form of costume to a game. Wearing color coordinated beads, is just part of the costume.

Cheap plastic crap isn't just for Mardi Gras. Now, if he was wearing some Krewe D'etat beads, I'd be more sympathetic to the whole "out of season" discussion. But, so long as LSU has the same colors as Mardi Gras.. you're gonna get those colors of beads being worn. Just like Saints fans will wear black and gold beads.

Who knows.. maybe it made the guy just a little bit more fun to be around?
Such a Florida thing to say:p
but if you will note, what you are quoting is my response to Cage’s ‘august’ line
as I noted earlie, it seemed El’s OP problem, wasn’t really a ‘season issue‘ (since it’s in season, obviously), but in procurement
Scalise probab had some intern run down to some FQ tourist kiosk to get those - its the rainbow Afro version of a costume

El’s question seems less about timing than about how did the wearer come by the beads?
If you catch the beads from a float, wear the proudly
If you bought them in an airport kiosk, wait til you get back to Utah to show them off

What if a busker aggressively applies them around your neck moments after picking them up out of a Bourbon St. gutter in mid-January?

LIterally watched that happened to some friends of mine, who couldn't be bothered to listen to me at the time. When I declined the lady said "OH I'm sorry Mr. Bodyguard." before asking for some cash. Good times really, I don't think the girls ever realized where they came from, despite this women going right back to harvesting beads as she walked away.

If someone wants to wear beads any time of the year, what does it forking matter?
I gave up Mardi Gras beads for Lent.

Got most of mine (2 bags) from a beautiful lady who got them herself in the "appropriate way". She happens to be my friends cousin with whom we stayed in NOLA some years ago.

Is it ok to 'wear' jumbo mardi gras beads if they are in a place that isnt visible out in public?

Asking for a friend

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom