Mardi Gras beads: When is it okay to wear them? (1 Viewer)

Are you talking about Scalise sitting next to Pres. Trump wearing beads? If so I thought it was very tourist like or pushing the Mardis Gras issue on POTUS.

i suppose you think it's okay to eat king cake in July as well
If I could get half decent king cake here, I'd eat it during a funeral in November. I'll eat king cake like a Dr. Seuss book.

"I'd eat it here, I'd eat it there,
I'd eat that king cake anywhere.
Yes I'd eat it in July,
yes I'd eat it while I fly.
Yes I'd eat it with a queen,
yes I'd eat it on Halloween.
I'll eat king cake with a cop,
I'll eat it any time, antipop."

Last edited:
If someone wants to wear beads any time of the year, what does it forking matter?
Well, the above is classic New Orleans attitude in a nutshell to me. Laissez-faire, after all.

BUT...as my Grandma’s old Irish Channel clique exhibited to me as a child, it is also classic New Orleans to talk **** about someone who exhibits bad New Orleans-related behavior. Like putting cheese and onions on your red beans. Or wearing non-personally caught, oversized beads, in a luxury box, at a football game, sitting next to the President of the United States. I grant him the clear right to do it just as I grant myself the clear right to think it’s weak.

For myself, I prefer a single strand each of purple, green and gold to start, then wear every decent pair you catch during the parade, then strip back down to three strands after the fire trucks pass. To each his own though!

Yes. I also believe it's ok to eat oysters in months that don't end in "r" too.
Brave man...but do you limit WHERE you eat them during the summer months?

Brave man...but do you limit WHERE you eat them during the summer months?

When we go visit family over the summer, we usually stick to the same restaurants. Usually either Jan's, Boutte's or Voleo's in Lafitte, Restaurant Des Famillies in Crown Point, then Prejean's in Lafayette on the way back to Rockwall. We haven't gotten sick or died as far as I know.

I kind of think if you're applying rules to bead wearing, you're sort of missing the theme of New Orleans completely. Wear that **** in Sunday School in August for all I care.
1/2 of me agrees with you but 3/4 of me strenuously objects
I don’t want to celebrate Christmas on May14th
Don’t want to have Easter in October
- sure culturally we’ve moved away from feast days and seasonal celebrations based on available food or weather, et al. But it still seems important to recognize cycles even as our lives continue to flatten

Well, the above is classic New Orleans attitude in a nutshell to me. Laissez-faire, after all.

BUT...as my Grandma’s old Irish Channel clique exhibited to me as a child, it is also classic New Orleans to talk **** about someone who exhibits bad New Orleans-related behavior. Like putting cheese and onions on your red beans. Or wearing non-personally caught, oversized beads, in a luxury box, at a football game, sitting next to the President of the United States. I grant him the clear right to do it just as I grant myself the clear right to think it’s weak.

For myself, I prefer a single strand each of purple, green and gold to start, then wear every decent pair you catch during the parade, then strip back down to three strands after the fire trucks pass. To each his own though!
Cheese on red beans?!
WT****??

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom