Mardi Gras outside of Louisiana (1 Viewer)

stunpals

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
The whole idea is garbage. When I first moved away from Louisiana I gave it a try. It was and continues to be a miserable failure of a time.

It bothers me when people try to talk me into going to some restaurant for a “big Mardi Gras” party. I guess I’m just spoiled from all my years in the thick of it.

Should Mardi Gras parties outside of Louisiana be banned? I say yes.

The whole idea is garbage. When I first moved away from South Louisiana I gave it a try. It was and continues to be a miserable failure of a time.

It bothers me when people try to talk me into going to some restaurant for a “big Mardi Gras” party. I guess I’m just spoiled from all my years in the thick of it.

Should Mardi Gras parties outside of South Louisiana be banned? I say yes.

Fixed it for you.

All Mardi Gras themed parties or restaurant special events that I've been to in the Dallas area have been uber-lame. They tried a Mardi Gras parade this past weekend in the West End which I heard was lame as well.

Yeah they're pathetic attempts, but its better than not getting drunk. Its sad if anyone thinks these parties are anything like the real thing, but also sweet when you go to one after being at the REAL Mardi Gras with a bunch of beads that all the girls don't know how worthless they actually are.

You would get a huge argument from the city of Mobile.

I, for one, am living outside of LA (southern or otherwise) and would love to see/start some sort of Mardi Gras tradition in my area.

I know that it would be nothing at all like New Orleans/Southern LA Mardi Gras - but any legal reason to sit in the road drinking adult beverages at 7AM on a workday is a good start.

All Mardi Gras themed parties or restaurant special events that I've been to in the Dallas area have been uber-lame. They tried a Mardi Gras parade this past weekend in the West End which I heard was lame as well.

I went to the Mystiqal parade Saturday night. It was pretty cool (for Texas). But the most Mardi Gras-like event in Dallas is definitely St. Patrick's Day.

Hey, it could be worse. I'm stuck working in Arkansas and nobody here even knows that it's Mardi Gras. Somebody shoot me.

Last edited:
My priorities are obviously all screwed up.

The whole idea is garbage. When I first moved away from Louisiana I gave it a try. It was and continues to be a miserable failure of a time.

Should Mardi Gras parties outside of Louisiana be banned? I say yes.

Shouldn't you just "say no, they aren't that great of parties" and let people do what they want? I didn't know that Louisiana owned the patent on Mardi Gras. I know we do it better than anyone else, but why do we care what they do with their parties? It's not like it takes away from what we do. Just saying.

I think the key is that school is out M - W and most businesses are closed on Tuesday with the understanding that taking the day off Wednesday is acceptable which is key to getting the locals together. Trying to cram Mardis Gras into the weekend or not having Wednesday off to recuperate is probably the biggest reason it will never feel the same anywhere else. Plus as someone alluded to above...it's doubtful Police will allow open containers and consumption on public streets. And at its heart Mardis Gras is about the kids; I've seen little or no acknowledgment of that in other areas of the country that attempt to "copy" Mardis Gras.

They don't even bother here.
It's all about chinese new year for my neck of the woods.

I am up in Seattle right now and I just told all the docs I am working with that this is one of my companies paid holidays. They didn't even know what it really was. I told them I will be celebrating tonight.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom