Mardi Gras outside of Louisiana (1 Viewer)

If you're not in an area that bothers celebrating, the only reason I could see to celebrate would be if you're catholic and really plan on going into fasting mode.

Or if you're an alcoholic.
That reminds me. I have a fair amount of rum I need to find a spot in my liver for tonight.

Carnival in Europe is fun. Much more political and sarcastic and with all the drinking.

Shouldn't you just "say no, they aren't that great of parties" and let people do what they want? I didn't know that Louisiana owned the patent on Mardi Gras. I know we do it better than anyone else, but why do we care what they do with their parties? It's not like it takes away from what we do. Just saying.

You don't call a regular dinner a smorgasborg do you? So if it's not done right, then it shouldn't be called Mardi Gras. Do it right or not at all is my two cents.

You don't call a regular dinner a smorgasborg do you? So if it's not done right, then it shouldn't be called Mardi Gras. Do it right or not at all is my two cents.

Well, I guess I see your point, I guess it just doesn't bother me. I know I'd much rather go to one in New Orleans than say, Memphis, but if the folks want to think they are having a Mardi Gras party, then I say let them think that. When they do come to NO, they'll realize their mistake.

You would get a huge argument from the city of Mobile.

I agree with you on the Mobile argument. In 97 a co-worker and I had to go to a training conference in Mobile the week of Mardi Gras. We arrived the Sunday night and went out to eat at local restauraunt. When the waitress heard that we were from Louisiana she asked if we were there for the Mardi Gras. We laughed and said how we were running away from all the festiviites to attend a conference. She then began to tell us about how Mardi Gras originated in Mobile and spread from there.

To make a long story short we and a few of the other guys at the conference attended the local parades and they were really a lot of fun and kinda reminded me of the parades that they have in Lafayette. For some reason they have this big thing about throwing out Moon Pies. We actually got an entire case of Moon pies that one of the other guys convinced one of the float riders to give to him. Some of the others at the conference (they were from North Caroina, Virginia, Tennessee, Florida and Georgia) actually took off the Tuesday of the conference and drove into New Orleans for the parades and a little endulgance.

stunpals, that is an angry looking fellow in your avatar. He looks like he could use a hug.

ehh I had a Mardi Gras party tonight. We had Turbodog, Purple Haze, Hurricanes, jambalaya, red beans and rice, bread pudding and king cake. It was a good time :9:

>>>I think the key is that school is out M - W

Wrong. We get off the whole entire week. :)

I can see both sides of this. But you know what, if that stupid trip to London is supposed to give us "exposure" this year, perhaps every time someone tries to emulate Mardi Gras, it makes people want to go to New Orleans. After going to Galveston, I definitely want to see it in Louisiana.

Galveston has a pretty large celebration, although shamefully, they charged admission---- I know, I know. ... but they heard enough about it, then changed their ways. The thing is, Mardi Gras helps support the island city's business and historic restoration---- so it helps a great cause, as Galveston is beautiful and historic--- looks very similar to N.O. in places. My only beef w/ Galveston is that it tends to get really ghetto-ey late on.

Well, at least living outside of Louisiana, we have the advantage that our local restaurants and bars will be having New Orleans-themed "Mardi Gras parties" until at least the end of February, or maybe into March.

>>>I think the key is that school is out M - W

Wrong. We get off the whole entire week. :)

Lucky you....I figured some school districts have them out the entire week.

In St. Mary parish (where my brother and his family live) they're only out M - W this year. My recollection when I went to school was that some years we got the entire week while others were limited to M - W, but we always got M - W.

......and they said the Atkins diet was passé :hihi:

J/K.....sounds like a good time...curious...were there any women at the party?:gorgeous:

there were plenty of chicks...my fiancee was the real hostess, and she brought a bunch of her co-workers. I brought a couple as well, but the real head turners were the senior medical student and her 2 fellow classmates. My boyz were glad to have them around :hihi:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom