Margus Hunt (DE) - The Estonian Beast (1 Viewer)

In TV shows, the Estonians always play the roles of the tough, dirty Russian mob type guys.

BTW: whoever said 25 was old is probably still wearing diapers

25 in football years is "old" concidering most guys getting drafted are 20-21 years old. That's 4-5 years of less production...potentially.

There's absolutely a major mental aspect to playing DE. You're reading run/pass, occupying a gap, helping your LBs make plays, etc. It's not as cerebral as, say, MLB, but there's a world of difference between an end who knows how to play the position and one who just knows how to get after the QB. Beyond that, though, technique is probably just as difficult to master. The linemen at the next level aren't going to be bullrushed or ripped as easily as CUSA and Mountain West tackles are. And even those guys swallowed him up more often than not this year -- watch his tape beyond his highlights.

What round do you think is appropriate for him?

And isn't that what our coaches get paid for, to teach these guys how to play the game at the NFL level. I have to believe our coaches are more qualified to teach technique than the SMU coaches. To me it depends on how bright he is and what type of natural instincts the guy has. If he is a very smart kid that catches on fast the he can learn the techniques and adapt quickly and he may be worth the early round pick. If he is a complete idiot then I agree, he probably isn't worth it in the early rounds.

I never once said that you did. My original post, which you replied to, was responding directly to the OP's question: should we take Hunt in the first round. In reiterating my opinion that he's not worth a first or second, I was emphasizing that this was the point of my earlier post.

It is of my opinion that I would not take him any higher than the 3rd round, so everything I have said about his skill set and age has been in relation to at best us taking him at that position.

How Gholston ended up being, he wasn't even worthy of a 3rd round pick.

There is no argument there, the #6 overall pick was wasted, but you can go back for every single player and reevaluate where they should have been drafted.

What round do you think is appropriate for him?

And isn't that what our coaches get paid for, to teach these guys how to play the game at the NFL level. I have to believe our coaches are more qualified to teach technique than the SMU coaches. To me it depends on how bright he is and what type of natural instincts the guy has. If he is a very smart kid that catches on fast the he can learn the techniques and adapt quickly and he may be worth the early round pick. If he is a complete idiot then I agree, he probably isn't worth it in the early rounds.

I think mid-to-late third is fine for him. Late second-to-early third would be OK, but I wouldn't be wild about it. Fourth is a steal. Provided he fits your scheme, though. I don't see how he'd fit into a 3-4.

As to your second paragraph: sure, that's the coaches' job and maybe he'll develop atypically quickly. He may also develop atypically slowly or not at all. And if he takes an average amount of time to develop, he's going to be losing his athleticism right as he's mastering the game. It's an unnecessary risk in the middle of the first: there are good athletes who are NFL-ready available. Ditto the second. By the third, the risk starts to make sense.

It is of my opinion that I would not take him any higher than the 3rd round, so everything I have said about his skill set and age has been in relation to at best us taking him at that position.

I think the only thing I've disagreed with you on in this thread has been the use of his bench press to describe his physicality. Outside of that, the intention of my replies has been to explain or expand on different points or clarify a misunderstanding. I think you're right about where he should be taken and why he should be taken there.

I'm fine with his age. If he is productive RIGHT NOW, then go for it if he's available in the 2nd. We don't necessarily have to have a guy who can play 15 years for us. We need a guy who can come in and make plays RIGHT NOW. Our window is closing. Now or never.

Besides, if he sucks at DE, just stick him at TE. Hes 6'7", runs a 4.6, and benches 38 reps?

Could u imagine? Put him and Moonlight in a 2 TE set in the Red Zone. Let them both run to the same spot, Drew throws it high, one of them is bound to come down with it ;)

Did he play in any all-star games and go up against top talent?

Do ya'll realize how strong you have to be to bench press 225 38 times at that height? I was a competitive powerlifter in my 20's. I'm 5'6" so obviously I have short arms which is ideal for bench pressing. The most reps I ever put up at 225 was 26 and my 1 rep max was 410 so I had a little better than average strength but I could have never in my life touched 38 reps. Now I understand that being able to bench press a ton of weight does not mean you are a great football player but my God that dude is as strong as a bear.

I agree except for one thing, these dudes are bouncing the weight off of their chest after about rep 20-25. When I lift, there is no bouncing, just the touch of the bar on my chest. Not saying that the guy is not strong as a horse.......just sayin....

Well to put his age into perspective - he's two years older than Cam Jordan.

Hey Ti! Thanks. I am turning an age tomorrow that when I was 16, I swore that everybody older should be euthanized or placed into mushroom detention centers. I may have been right at 16 :no:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom