Margus Hunt (DE) - The Estonian Beast (1 Viewer)

Speaking of Chopley, anyone know where I can get some Morgus the Magnificant shows?? Youtube maybe?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/J-tPQhbz5l4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

absolutely!

wow pair this guy with Jordan as our DE in the 3-4 like jj watt, both would get pressure and push, who cares who the OLBs are, lol well we still need good olbs but love the inside pressure and his length to block and slip into the back field

Not arguing with you here re: The Rawness, but it brings up a question for me that I honestly don't know the answer to.

Does someone being raw in a DL position with an apparently superb set of physical skills matter that much? I mean, for the most part, the D-captain (LB) calls the play via a defensive coordinator. You either rush the passer, stuff the run, maybe drop back in coverage. The rest is all relying on those physical skills to accomplish those things. Doesn't seem like rocket science. We're not talking about a QB here. How much does The Rawness really affect someone's play at teh next level?

May need some TCUDan input on this.

Being raw is an issue at every position. Not necessarily from a mental standpoint... by the time a guy is getting ready for the NFL, he either has the mentality to play pro football or he doesn't. Sure he can improve his maturity here and there, but he's either a football player or not.

What the lack of experience or "rawness" means to me is that he is not as technically sound as he needs to be. You can be the best athlete in the world, and if you don't understand things like leverage, leg drive... you're going to get owned in the NFL.

Despite him playing at SMU, I haven't seen nearly enough of Hunt. I know he's raw. So was/is Akiem Hicks. Hicks was also a specimen that "experts" saw going much later than where we drafted him.

But for every Akiem Hicks, you have the busts. Guys who were drafted on athletic potential and never became football players. Also, Hicks still has a lot of room to improve. He is not consistent with the more technical aspects of his position. I would venture that Hunt is going to come in with similar issues.

I have a little bit of experience with guys like Hunt having coached in Europe, and seen some very athletic specimens that could have played college ball in the US but came to football later in life (a lot don't start playing until they're 20 years old). Hunt is just one who happened upon a tremendous opportunity.

But what you find in these situations is that, especially with linemen, football is a very unnatural sport for them. When you're around coaches--particularly line coaches (Belfast Saint would be another guy who can talk about this)--you hear the phrase "understands leverage" a lot. Not "uses proper leverage" or "plays with good pad level"... you'll hear that too. But the more important issue is whether or not a player UNDERSTANDS LEVERAGE. In Europe, this is one of the biggest issues... linemen don't always (in fact, RARELY) understand leverage.

Now Hunt has had college-level coaching. But has he had enough? Have enough of his bad habits been unkinked for him to make it in the NFL? From what I'm reading, it sounds like scouts aren't confident. When there is talk about him potentially moving positions, that tells me that he is not showing enough from a fundamental standpoint to sell scouts on him being more than an athlete. And in the NFL--an athlete without a position is not the same as it is in college. Those are not blue chip guys.

So to answer your question, Hunt is raw, and while I'm sure he's tough enough to play in the NFL, does he have the technical understanding and refinement to be coachable at the NFL level. Can he overcome the hump and become a competitor at that level. It seems like some scouts are talking about him moving to TE because they think maybe he can be the next "jimmy Graham." Well Jimmy Graham definitely happened to be playing the right position to make it in the NFL with minimal experience. As DE... despite his size and athleticism... he would never have made the transition. But in the flex/TE role, he's thriving.

If you're looking for a lineman, I would not draft Hunt early. But then again... I wouldn't have drafted Akiem Hicks early, either.

He is a young 25. He might have a 5-6 year career but if its a good 5-6 that's still better than most guys. I would roll the dice on his pick.

Can he play dt? Imagine that kid at the nose guard and Hicks and Jordan on his side. Watch out below!

He definitetly looked good in the bowl game against Fresno. I didn't watch the whole game but he had a huge impact in that game. I did not watch any other SMU games, but he is a freakish athlete. I'm not concerned so much with his age. 4 or 5 good years out of him, would be more than we got out of Will Smith. In my uneducated opinion, I could definitely see him being a very good pro. With 38 reps and a 4.6, we know he has a great work ethic. It doesn't matter how naturally strong or fast he is, to get that many reps, and to run that fast, he has been hitting the weights like a maniac, and spent a lot of time working on his 40. I don't know where he will be drafted. I would need to watch game tape, not just highlights. It will be interesting to see where he winds up and what kind of career he has.

Better workout numbers than Ezekiel Anasah at the combine where he met with the Baltimore Ravens who presumably have interest in him as a potential replacement to Paul Kruger.

For all my hype of Devin Taylor, Hunt is just as athletic and might also project as a 3-4 OLB at the next level. I just don't see him as a weakside OLB like Taylor, but he might be able to pull off the switch to strongside which is where I have Ansah and Corey Lemonier. He seems to have better lateral agility on tape than Lemonier but is not quite as violent as ansah.

The ravens interest in him sparked my curiosity to play him at OLB since he is explosive standing up but does not bend well. He is also very strong and benched 225 38 times at the combine.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...ebacker-kevin-minter-20130224,0,3523205.story
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Margus Hunt [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]- I couldn't help but mention that I was watching the Path to the Draft on the NFL Network last night and saw that MIke Mayock rated SMU DE Margus Hunt as his top 3-4 DE in the draft, which really surprised me because in my opinion Hunt would be better served as an OLB in a 3-4 scheme, because of the way he is built. Hunt isn't stout enough at the point of attack, and would have a hard time keeping the blocker from getting under his pads because of his rare height, if used as a 5-technique DE in a 3-4 front. The team that drafts Hunt is going to have to decide where and how to use him, but I like the idea of using Hunt as an OLB in a 3-4 scheme to get the most out of his athleticism - think Ted Hendricks or Jason Taylor, but only taller. Teams are also reportedly thinking about working Hunt out as tight end, because of his athleticism. [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]-Al Fronczak[/FONT]

ECS 2013 NFL Draft Home

everything i know about estonia i learned from this guy
link-encino-man.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom