Votes: 683 87.7%
  • Yes, but only medically

Votes: 27 3.5%
  • No, but the marijuana laws should be relaxed

Votes: 24 3.1%
  • No, it should remain illegal.

Votes: 45 5.8%

• Total voters
Sessions is a dinosaur out of the Nixon era. Where do they keep finding these fossilized bitter old white guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ions-war-on-marijuana/?utm_term=.df72e6989f5d

Sessions is going to have a handful with several Republican law makers.

Dana Rohrabacher (Calif.)

“The attorney general of the United States has just delivered an extravagant holiday gift to the drug cartels. By attacking the will of the American people, who overwhelmingly favor marijuana legalization, Jeff Sessions has shown a preference for allowing all commerce in marijuana to take place in the black market, which will inevitably bring the spike in violence he mistakenly attributes to marijuana itself. He is doing the bidding of an out-of-date law enforcement establishment that wants to wage a perpetual weed war and seize private citizens’ property in order to finance its backward ambitions.”

https://www.politico.com/magazine/a...ssions-marijuana-legalization-congress-216251

Capitol Hill screamed just as loudly. And it wasn’t just the Democratic members of the Congressional Cannabis Caucus. It was Republican senators, too. Cory Gardner of Colorado took the Senate floor to issue an ultimatum to Sessions: “I will be putting a hold on every single nomination from the Department of Justice until Attorney General Jeff Sessions lives up to the commitment he made to me in my pre-confirmation meeting with him. The conversation we had that was specifically about this issue of states’ rights in Colorado. Until he lives up to that commitment, I’ll be holding up all nominations of the Department of Justice,” Gardner said. “The people of Colorado deserve answers. The people of Colorado deserve to be respected.” Gardner is no fringe Republican; he’s the chair of the NRSC.

Even members who had been silent on the issue in the past vowed to squeeze the Department of Justice’s budget. Jeanne Shaheen, Democrat from New Hampshire, reminding reporters she’s the lead Democrat on the Department of Justice funding subcommittee, tweeted: “I’ll work to ensure that resources are devoted to opioid response NOT foolish policy of interfering with legal marijuana production.” Most of the Congressional leadership was silent on this issue, but not House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, who issued a blistering statement against Sessions, saying that she would push for an amendment in the new spending bill to protect states that had legalized not just medical marijuana but recreational use too, a move that could make ongoing budget negotiations much more tense.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...alization-more-likely/?utm_term=.af3380eea3d5

Interesting take here. Sessions may have made all 50 states legalize sooner. Pandora's box has been opened. A dinosaur like Sessions won't
be able to close it. He's fighting a losing battle and most people realize it.

The problem with all of this condemnation of Sessions (and I can't believe I'm saying this) is that from a legal perspective, he's basically right. As the Attorney General of the United States, his job is to enforce federal law. I think the DOJ memo on prosecutorial discretion was well-stated and, as the piece you linked points out, it's not all that likely that Sessions's move to rescind the memo changes much.

But we continue to have this disconnect between the federal Drug Enforcement Act and the growing pro-marijuana interests that include medical professionals, small-business advocates, libertarians, and average joe and janes.

The appropriate solution remains changing federal law. Under current federal law, weed is basically the same as heroin. It's not really the AG's job to revise that on his own. Yes, there are valid federalism issues at play and that's fine to justify some sort of 'hands off' approach. But it's not the appropriate way.

Congress has to act and put all of this on much more sensible footing.

Meanwhile, in Kansas...

https://thinkprogress.org/kansas-re...0568&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

“What you really need to do is go back in the ’30s, when they outlawed all types of drugs in Kansas [and] across the United States,” Alford said. “One of the reasons why, I hate to say it, was that the African Americans, they were basically users and they basically responded the worst off to those drugs just because of their character makeup, their genetics and that. And so basically what we’re trying to do a complete reverse with people not remembering what has happened in the past.”

When the hell is Louisiana going to legalize? The tax money alone would make a tremendous push in bettering the abysmal education in the State.

I'm sure that Louisiana will be one of the LAST states to legalize recreational use.

I'm sure that Louisiana will be one of the LAST states to legalize recreational use.

Nah. At minimum, Mississippi, Alabama, North and South Carolina, and maybe West Virginia will hold out longer than LA.

When the hell is Louisiana going to legalize? The tax money alone would make a tremendous push in bettering the abysmal education in the State.

Throwing money at the problem will not correct it. Louisiana spends quite generously per student. It's the way the money is allocated that is the problem. Too many hands in the cookie jar.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom