Votes: 23 3.2%
  • No, it should remain illegal.

Votes: 43 6.1%

• Total voters

LtAldoRaine

So you're Aldo the Apache
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Figured I'd go ahead and post a poll and see how you guys and gals feel about cannabis. I myself haven't smoked it too much, but before I enlisted I partook maybe 5-10 times. I personally didn't enjoy the high too much, but the pain relief was amazing.

I've been on a few big pain killers throughout my day for issues related to service. They all make me feel too high, numb, and are very addictive. Marijuana has been a pain reliever that I've recently enjoyed. It has made me feel better than the pills. Those "legal" pills are addictive as ****, and have led to more problems than I'd like. After a long days work I personally would prefer smoking and going to sleep than drinking and taking these pain pills.

Anywho, what are your thoughts on marijuana? Should it be legal, medically only, or stay illegal?

Reaction score
https://www.nasdaq.com/article/aurora-cannabis-files-to-list-on-the-nyse-20181009-00863

My 2$ stock is looking pretty good long term. Still a long ways to go before I can retire tho. Might just be enough to step up to the Z06 next vette.

Marijuana company Aurora Cannabis Inc. (ACB.TO) Tuesday said it has filed an application to list its common shares on the New York Stock Exchange.

Aurora expects to start trading on the NYSE before the end of October 2018. Aurora's shares will trade on the NYSE under ticker symbol "ACB". Aurora will also continue to trade on the OTCQX under the ticker symbol "ACBFF" until completion of the NYSE listing.

SUGrad03

All-Pro
Reaction score
I’ve wondered where someone in legal states would get the seed to start a home garden. Are the commercial growers like Monsanto is with corn and soybeans? Can’t be that difficult to produce your own; if it were legal.

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve wondered where someone in legal states would get the seed to start a home garden. Are the commercial growers like Monsanto is with corn and soybeans? Can’t be that difficult to produce your own; if it were legal.

https://www.growerschoiceseeds.com
A lot of dispensaries also sell them. Not hard to get.

Reaction score
https://www.nola.com/health/index.ssf/2018/10/medical_marijuana_held_up_by_l.html

The company said that they could potentially have product packaged and ready to get shipped out to the state's nine licensed dispensaries by Nov. 14. However, regulatory hurdles have slowed the process, making it unclear when medical cannabis will actually be commercially available in Louisiana.

The Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry, the agency which regulates the program, has not yet identified an independent, third-party laboratory to test the product before it gets shipped to the dispensaries. This is a requirement that has been part of the agency's rules since the inception of Louisiana's medical marijuana program. It wasn't until Sept. 20 that the agency issued a revised Request for Proposals to identify an independent lab that would conduct the testing and analysis of the product. Proposals are due back on Oct. 25.

Oye

shopgirl's metaphysic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
people are getting really antsy for tomorrow

educational flyers in our mailboxes, ads all over the radio, warnings about usage

it's like a mini Y2K or Potpocalypse

TXSAINTFAN

Music is Life
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Craigj

I'm need about TREE FITTY
Reaction score
How are employers responding to the legalization? Can you still get fired in Canada for have weed in your system?

Saintamaniac

Purple & Gold for Life
Reaction score
How are employers responding to the legalization? Can you still get fired in Canada for have weed in your system?
I would think they would follow the same guidelines for alcohol use. You can't be under the influence of alcohol while you are at work so same should apply for weed. The entire country has legalized weed. Your employer can't restrict you from using a legal product on your own time. Here in the US it's different. Even though there are several states that have legalized it, employees of nationwide companies still have follow the rules of the company. Fedex is a worldwide company but Fedex employees in Colorado still can be fired for using weed. Once the entire country makes it legal then those rules will change.

mjcouvi

Hi
Reaction score
I would think they would follow the same guidelines for alcohol use. You can't be under the influence of alcohol while you are at work so same should apply for weed. The entire country has legalized weed. Your employer can't restrict you from using a legal product on your own time. Here in the US it's different. Even though there are several states that have legalized it, employees of nationwide companies still have follow the rules of the company. Fedex is a worldwide company but Fedex employees in Colorado still can be fired for using weed. Once the entire country makes it legal then those rules will change.
An employer can't restrict you from using a legal product on your own time, but they can fire you for it. I imagine Canadian employers will retain their ability to administer drug tests and fire employees for certain positive results, including marijuana. Maybe some companies will change their drug policies, but I'm sure some won't.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
All certainly true that legalized recreational use doesn't mean employers cannot prohibit weed use or weed intoxication on work time. The problem with marijuana, however, is that the industry standard test isn't effective at pinpointing the time of use within a matter of hours (like a breathalyzer can do for alcohol, for example) - the THC remains in the system for a period of weeks, not hours, and that's all the (current) tests are capable of. And this isn't a new problem, the long window in which marijuana can give a positive test result (compared to the relatively short period of actual intoxication) has been complicating criminal matters for a long time. I'm not sure about the state of development of better testing methods, but I don't know of any in widespread use.

So an employee that uses marijuana strictly on his own time could still "fail" a drug test as far as the employer is concerned. In other words, if the employee will test positive on Thursday for legally smoking weed at his residence the previous weekend, and the employee's marijuana intoxication had no bearing on his work-time or work duties whatsoever, I think the employer is still justified in firing the employee. I think employers can still rely on whatever the industry-standard test is and the degree to which it is accurate - and if the test is positive, the employer can act on that. Given that this isn't a new problem, I suspect that most company drug policies indicate that the employer is entitled to rely on the test results and a positive test result will be considered violation of company policy regardless of whether the employee believes that the drug consumption was not on work hours. And I think until more precise testing is available, the law/courts are going to have hard time saying that it is wrongful termination for the company to rely on an industry-standard drug test.

So for many people, they should hesitate to participate in legalized recreational weed if they are subject to drug testing. It's just too much risk based on the fact that weed tests aren't precise about time of use.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Saints Headlines (The Advocate)

Headlines

Top Bottom