Votes: 24 3.2%
  • No, it should remain illegal.

Votes: 44 5.9%

• Total voters

LtAldoRaine

So you're Aldo the Apache
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Figured I'd go ahead and post a poll and see how you guys and gals feel about cannabis. I myself haven't smoked it too much, but before I enlisted I partook maybe 5-10 times. I personally didn't enjoy the high too much, but the pain relief was amazing.

I've been on a few big pain killers throughout my day for issues related to service. They all make me feel too high, numb, and are very addictive. Marijuana has been a pain reliever that I've recently enjoyed. It has made me feel better than the pills. Those "legal" pills are addictive as ****, and have led to more problems than I'd like. After a long days work I personally would prefer smoking and going to sleep than drinking and taking these pain pills.

Anywho, what are your thoughts on marijuana? Should it be legal, medically only, or stay illegal?

2009ring

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
They'll never do that, at least not for recreational. The key there is in the testing - science needs to come up with a way to provide a more precise test for when the user actually consumed the marijuana.

But I think it's an overstatement to say it won't matter unless they did. I'm not sure what percentage of employers test for weed but it's nowhere near 100% and when you take out the ones that only do a pre-employment screen, I think the number goes down quite a bit from there.

Another thing that is evolving is what an employer does with a positive test. If the result came from a random or scheduled screen, and not an incident, and the employee is otherwise in good standing and indicated that the marijuana use was legal (by state law) and off-duty, there's no reason why that employee has to be disciplined. Of course, the employee's job matters - someone doing skilled tasks in a dangerous environment (e.g. operating construction equipment) likely brings a different analysis than the IT guy.
I see you're point and I pretty much agree with you. My understanding, at least with my California based company, is that unless you show up to work looking / acting high, they can't test you once you work for them. With regard to pre-employment screening, agreed that a CDL driver has a way different outlook than the local grocery store worker. I agree that the "when" is a good point that bears fleshing out with testing. Just because at some point in the last 6 weeks I may have been exposed to THC, whether on occasion of second hand smoke or my own daily use it doesn't give the real story.

Also I do think that if you have a medical card, it's off limits for the employer or prospective employer no matter what. I wouldn't give way on that stance.

Reaction score
The employer testing likely will hinge more on their ability to hire and retain workers than anything else. I've read that there's a severe lack of computer experts in some government positions as the better talented coders and hackers can not only make more money, but also smoke elsewhere.

When the workers revolt take skills elsewhere to the point that business profits are impacted is the only scenario I can see making much difference right now. There are the obvious already stated exceptions tho.

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
They'll never do that, at least not for recreational. The key there is in the testing - science needs to come up with a way to provide a more precise test for when the user actually consumed the marijuana.

But I think it's an overstatement to say it won't matter unless they did. I'm not sure what percentage of employers test for weed but it's nowhere near 100% and when you take out the ones that only do a pre-employment screen, I think the number goes down quite a bit from there.

Another thing that is evolving is what an employer does with a positive test. If the result came from a random or scheduled screen, and not an incident, and the employee is otherwise in good standing and indicated that the marijuana use was legal (by state law) and off-duty, there's no reason why that employee has to be disciplined. Of course, the employee's job matters - someone doing skilled tasks in a dangerous environment (e.g. operating construction equipment) likely brings a different analysis than the IT guy.
I actually think lawyering would be less stressful, more ethical, and more professional if all lawyers were required to be stoned.

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Can you OD on marijuana? I’ve never heard of it.
Not that I have ever heard of, though I suppose you can OD on anything (water for example). But in the real world, nobody dies from marijuana alone. What's even worse is that people actually do die from synthetic marijuana that black and grey markets invent because the non-lethal authentic stuff is illegal.

TXSAINTFAN

Music is Life
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I take my own when I go to Negril. Even though I know a Rasta there that grows some pretty good Pineapple it's still not as good as what we get in the dispensaries here.

Now I will admit that the quality has gotten better overall since the government allowed some dispensaries to open there but that 'beach weed' is still crap.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom