Votes: 683 87.7%
  • Yes, but only medically

Votes: 27 3.5%
  • No, but the marijuana laws should be relaxed

Votes: 24 3.1%
  • No, it should remain illegal.

Votes: 45 5.8%

• Total voters

But others, including Gov. Phil Bryant, the Mississippi State Board of Health and some law enforcement leaders, oppose the initiative. They say there is a lack of scientific evidence of marijuana's treatment benefits outweighing risks

Pot has been around and in use for thousands of years. I think its a safe bet that it would be rather common knowledge if there were real and severe impacts from its use.

I'm not saying we shouldn't learn more about it. Just that a circular argument about how we don't understand enough about a plant which the government has prohibited studying makes no real sense.

Look at the upcoming bills in the session. Let your rep know how you feel.

Here’s a snapshot at some of the bills that have been introduced:
  • Rep. Edmond Jordan’s HB 626 would set up a system of legal, regulated cannabis sales to adults 21 and older along with permits for personal cultivation. (Unfortunately, it does not appear to remove criminal penalties.)
  • Rep. Ted James’ HB 546 would put a state constitutional amendment on Louisiana’s November 2020 ballot to legalize and regulate cannabis for adults 21 and older.
  • Rep. Cedric Glover's HB 346 would put a state constitutional amendment on the November 2020 ballot to allow localities to legalize marijuana.
  • Rep. C. Denise Marcelle’s HB 49 would reduce cannabis possession penalties, including by decriminalizing first-offense possession of up to 14 grams. The current penalty includes up to 15 days in jail.
  • Rep. Ted James’ HB 385 would allow whole plant/flower medical cannabis.
  • Rep. Ted James’ HB 386 would allow physicians to recommend cannabis for any condition that is debilitating to the individual patient
  • Rep. Jeremy LaCombe’s HB 455 would allow people receiving hospice or palliative care to qualify for medical cannabis.
  • Rep. Rodney Lyons’ HB 330 would add chronic pain caused by fibromyalgia as a qualifying condition.
  • Rep. Joe Marino’s HB 158 would allow Alzheimer's, ALS, and a few other neurodegenerative diseases to qualify for medical cannabis.
  • Sen. Gerald Boudreaux's SB 267 would remove the sunset on the medical cannabis program.

All for Glover's HB 346. New Orleans should not be held back for the rest of the state's stupidity.
I'd use the word reluctance over stupidity. It's a less antagonistic word and respects that different people have different mindsets. Open confrontation will immediately shutdown openness to changing opposition. Maybe by respecting the other viewpoint no matter how much we disagree with the method they used to get there, they'd be more willing to listen with honest hearts.

I'd like to think so anyway.

I'd use the word reluctance over stupidity. It's a less antagonistic word and respects that different people have different mindsets. Open confrontation will immediately shutdown openness to changing opposition. Maybe by respecting the other viewpoint no matter how much we disagree with the method they used to get there, they'd be more willing to listen with honest hearts.

I'd like to think so anyway.

I'd probably agree with you if they weren't being stupid about it.

Last edited:
The study was done by the Tobacco Institute so I think it's safe to assume that. However, the report doesn't specifically say Tobacco products increase risks it says smoking (which would include the ingesting into the lungs which damage or weaken the lungs).
The study does say not smoking is a good counter to the spread of Covid. Maybe it's time to have a brownie instead. :cooking:

Last edited:
The study was done by the Tobacco Institute so I think it's safe to assume that. However, the report doesn't specifically say Tobacco products increase risks it says smoking (which would include the ingesting into the lungs which damage or weaken the lungs).
The study does say not smoking is a good counter to the spread of Covid. Maybe it's time to have a brownie instead. :cooking:
That's a curious finding and recommendation after the initial statement that previous smokers have increased risk same as current smokers. Maybe they need to show the work on it. At any rate, smoking is a bad habit which I'm not defending. I was just very confused by the article.

FWIW, I've read previous studies which show no correlation of pot smoking with the increased risk of poor health outcomes found with tobacco. I don't think it's been fully studied however due to current laws.

FWIW, I've read previous studies which show no correlation of pot smoking with the increased risk of poor health outcomes found with tobacco. I don't think it's been fully studied however due to current laws.
Do you believe that permanent lung damage is a poor health outcome?
Covid attacks the lungs. Weakened lungs will make any Covid infection more serious.
This isn't meant as a political statement but mearly FYI.

Might be a good time to kick all the smoking habits since Covid isnt going away anytime soon...
Covid attacks the lungs. Weakened lungs will make any Covid infection more serious.

At the end of the day, I think common sense can dictate that putting ANYTHING in your lungs beyond the air they are meant to breathe can have a negative impact.

I think marijuana users would be well served to move to edibles for the time being.

The reason the progression is faster with smokers is because COVID attacks the small airways in the lungs where most of the oxygen is exchanged from the lungs into the blood stream. This is also where smoking cigarettes damages the lungs, causing a honeycombing pattern in the small air ways, among other things. So, people who have lungs already damaged by smoking cigarettes will be affected more because their lungs are already damaged. They already have reduced diffusion of oxygen into the blood stream which will get worse faster if/when they get COVID. And, reduced oxygen in the blood steam makes the lungs and heart work harder which means you get heart issues as a result. It's part of why cigarette smoking is linked to heart disease. You get cardiomegaly (an enlarged heart) because the heart muscle has to work more to pump enough blood to keep your blood oxygenated. That results in high blood pressure and the heart eventually giving out. There is also some evidence that cigarette smoking contributed to higher levels of cholesterol in the blood.

Anyway, I am not aware of any evidence that smoking marijuana does the same thing to you lungs or body. That could be because you don't smoke as much as you would of tobacco or just because it doesn't contain all the nasty additives that tobacco companies add to cigarettes. Also, there is some evidence that marijuana may actually block COVID-19 infection.

https://interestingengineering.com/cannabis-might-block-covid-19-infection-study-shows

Of course, anything you take into your lungs has a chance to damage cells and cause cancer, including marijuana smoke, but I think because most people aren't smoking 20 joints per day, it tends not to be linked to lung cancer.

Last edited:
Widge the article you linked is not remotely creditable.
BTW I hope you also read the authors other story about "Cats, the adorable killers...". That story actually has teeth...
If the American Lung Society says smoking (insert whatever) is harmful then its 100% true. There really isnt any point in arguing "degrees" or variables. I just posted it FYI.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom