Mario Williams UFA. Loomis considering it? (1 Viewer)

#1stunna

OIL COUNTRY
Reaction score
I know we have plenty of in-house free agents that need to be resigned. But let's envision a scenario where we let Colsten walk, sign Nicks and Brees (obviously), and make a push for Mario Williams. Is it financially possible? We could let Will Smith walk, and have Mario and Cam Jordan make some noise from the ends in Spag's 4-3 defense!!! Thoughts? Think Mickey is interested?

NMS

All-Pro
Reaction score
Think about it. For being the number one pick and all of the comparisons/arguments of picking him ahead of Reggie, is Mario Williams that much of a difference maker that a #1 over all pick should be. I say no. For the money he is expected to make/ask for, I say no.

natedog

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Depends on the price, as many have mentioned on here we have tons of young talent. It might be just as simple as getting something out of them. GW defenses seemed to just try to hold up the Olinemen and allow Roman Harper to try for the sack, maybe a Dine with spin moves, stunts etc. will help. I'd take him though if he were a good deal and made a similiar impact to Julius Peppers in Chicago. . .. I thought they over paid, but I was wrong.

WxM

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Think about it. For being the number one pick and all of the comparisons/arguments of picking him ahead of Reggie, is Mario Williams that much of a difference maker that a #1 over all pick should be. I say no. For the money he is expected to make/ask for, I say no.
We won't be signing him based on his draft status. We will be signing him, if we do, based on his career production, any potential, and injury situation. He doesn't have to be the difference maker of a #1 overall pick. He just has to be worth the contract he'd accept with the Saints. Time will tell.

Wheelo

I <3 Saints
Reaction score
Mario Williams would be a perfect fit. The money we pay him would be no different from Will Smith money. This point in time Mario Williams > Will Smith; age and performance. It is financially possible and Loomis hopefully looks into this scenario.

boutte

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm sure he's interested. I'm interested in a Porsche. But I think I'm gonna have to stick with my Kia.

timpoulos

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Williams or Nicks?? Nicks.......I say go after Osi Umenyiora, better player than Mario

grunattitude

Veteran
Reaction score
To sign both Nicks and Brees means a lot of money Will be gone. Letting Colston go will not save enough, and to cut Smith without insurance of signing a top DE zéros top risky. But i like the idea of Williams in Spag's future defense!

bornnraisedwhodat

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
To sign both Nicks and Brees means a lot of money Will be gone. Letting Colston go will not save enough, and to cut Smith without insurance of signing a top DE zéros top risky. But i like the idea of Williams in Spag's future defense!
Let Nicks go. 10 million dollars i just to much.

Sign Osi!!

JackDiesel

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Osi isn't even a FA? Lol. And Mario is a much more complete DE than him anyways. Probably won't be able to go after but Williams would be the better choice.

OP
OP

#1stunna

OIL COUNTRY
Reaction score
We won't be signing him based on his draft status. We will be signing him, if we do, based on his career production, any potential, and injury situation. He doesn't have to be the difference maker of a #1 overall pick. He just has to be worth the contract he'd accept with the Saints. Time will tell.
+1. Has nothing to do with the draft.
I think mario would be a true beast with Spags in charge of the D.

Ps WxM, I accidentally downvoted ur reply, my apologies.

bornnraisedwhodat

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
Osi isn't even a FA? Lol. And Mario is a much more complete DE than him anyways. Probably won't be able to go after but Williams would be the better choice.
Osi is getting 3.5 million this year and he has said he is not playing for that, Giants might be willing to trade him just to get something for him. Not to mention has has experience working under Spags. I would love to have him and I think he will be cheaper than Williams. I'd take either one personally but I just feel Williams will demand a lot more $$$'s since this is his first time really testing free agency.

Nightshade

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Osi is getting 3.5 million this year and he has said he is not playing for that, Giants might be willing to trade him just to get something for him. Not to mention has has experience working under Spags. I would love to have him and I think he will be cheaper than Williams. I'd take either one personally but I just feel Williams will demand a lot more $$$'s since this is his first time really testing free agency.
Would you be willing to give up next year's 1st round pick for him? Or at best this year's 2nd and 5th?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)