Mario Williams UFA. Loomis considering it? (1 Viewer)

#1stunna

OIL COUNTRY
Reaction score
Sticky Post
I know we have plenty of in-house free agents that need to be resigned. But let's envision a scenario where we let Colsten walk, sign Nicks and Brees (obviously), and make a push for Mario Williams. Is it financially possible? We could let Will Smith walk, and have Mario and Cam Jordan make some noise from the ends in Spag's 4-3 defense!!! Thoughts? Think Mickey is interested?

bornnraisedwhodat

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
The good thing about williams is he is only 27. You can probably get a good 4 or 5 years out of him. Osi I think is more a short term answer.

My only problem with Williams is he is coming off an ACL injury and who knows how long it will take him to really get back into form.

bornnraisedwhodat

Reaction score
Would you be willing to give up next year's 1st round pick for him? Or at best this year's 2nd and 5th?
They wont be getting a 1st for him, not when everyone knows he is refusing to play for them and they are just trying to get something out of the deal. I wouldn't give up anything more than a 3rd, any more they can shove it.

SailorJerrysHorse

pigs & collisions
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Osi is getting 3.5 million this year and he has said he is not playing for that, Giants might be willing to trade him just to get something for him. Not to mention has has experience working under Spags. I would love to have him and I think he will be cheaper than Williams. I'd take either one personally but I just feel Williams will demand a lot more $$$'s since this is his first time really testing free agency.
If I'm the Giants and I have Osi on the trading block, apart from Philly and Dallas, the Saints are the last place I want him ending up, especially with Spags here.

bergeaux

Building my own team!
Reaction score
Would you be willing to give up next year's 1st round pick for him? Or at best this year's 2nd and 5th?
I wouldn't give up picks or players for Osi. How much do we owe Will Smith in 2012 and what would it cost us in cap space if we cut him and signed Mario Williams?

If it makes cap sense, I think Mario has more upside than Will Smith, although Smith's been good for us. Love to have both, but we wouldn't have the cap space for both, I wouldn't think. And we have some young talent we're working on at that spot.

bornnraisedwhodat

Reaction score
I wouldn't give up picks or players for Osi. How much do we owe Will Smith in 2012 and what would it cost us in cap space if we cut him and signed Mario Williams?

If it makes cap sense, I think Mario has more upside than Will Smith, although Smith's been good for us. Love to have both, but we wouldn't have the cap space for both, I wouldn't think. And we have some young talent we're working on at that spot.
If we cut Will I think its something like a 6 or 7 million dollar cap hit. He needs to restructure, period.

NOFALCONS10

Not a part of your system
Reaction score
The good thing about williams is he is only 27. You can probably get a good 4 or 5 years out of him. Osi I think is more a short term answer.

My only problem with Williams is he is coming off an ACL injury and who knows how long it will take him to really get back into form.

:smilielol:williams is better on one leg than osi is on two. The guy who was benched two years ago over mario? no thanks.

Wheelo

I <3 Saints
Reaction score
If we cut Will I think its something like a 6 or 7 million dollar cap hit. He needs to restructure, period.
That's not true. His base salary next year will be in the 9 million dollar range because of a signing bonus elongated throughout the contract. The only cap hit the team would take will be the amount of that signing bonus this year (2012) and next year (2013), which is about 4 million. So we would save around 5 million in cap space releasing Will Smith.

NOFALCONS10

Not a part of your system
Reaction score
That's not true. His base salary next year will be in the 9 million dollar range because of a signing bonus elongated through out the contract. The only cap hit the team would take will be the amount of that signing bonus this year (2012) and next year (2013), which is about 4 million. So we would save around 5 million in cap space releasing Will Smith.

well, i hope for all of our sakes that this is a more accurate appraisal of the smith situation because boy.....could we reeeeeeally use mario williams.

Again, if im loomis i'd trade a 1st and a second if we had to to make it happen.

grunattitude

Veteran
Reaction score
To let go Nicks means allowing a lot of pressure inside with De La Puente just a one full year center and a new guard. Sean Payton must be certain of having already a replacement in our linemen or find a new gem from nobodyknows college in sixth or seventh round. Who wants to see Brees with a broken leg in week three? Not me...

Saintslfc13

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Williams or Nicks?
Nicks every time. Top 3 guard (arguably the best guard in the league, certainly the best Left Guard), over a top 10 (albeit potentially top 5) Defensive End. We had more balance this passed season, but we're still a passing team before we're a running team, and in order to be able to pass like we do we need Brees to be upright with the ability to step up into the pocket.

10 million is probably too much for a guard on a team with a typical o-line, one that pays their tackles more because their QB sits back there. We have the inverse of that, our tackles are made to look better than they are because our QB is capable of stepping up and around that outside pressure and finding an open receiver. Our guards are the people who allow that to happen. Re-signing priority should have Brees as 1A and Nicks as 1B. Colston is just after those guys and everyone else will have to wait in line, with hopefully a few of our guys willing to restructure so that we can add some talent on defense via Free Agency.

Look at the Superbowl, Brady had no room to step up when his tackles got beat a good portion of the time. It cost them a Safety on their first play for crying out loud.

We need that room to be good at what we do.

Bayouman007

Banned
Reaction score
I hope Smith restructures, I guess he needs to. He's been our best player on defense for a number of years even tho he only goes beast every other year. He wasn't much of a beast in 2011, you know he is gonna get a sack total in the teens and be a relentless pass rusher this season... I'd hate to lose him.

Sarcastic

Very Banned
Reaction score
Nicks every time. Top 3 guard (arguably the best guard in the league, certainly the best Left Guard), over a top 10 (albeit potentially top 5) Defensive End. We had more balance this passed season, but we're still a passing team before we're a running team, and in order to be able to pass like we do we need Brees to be upright with the ability to step up into the pocket.
That top 3 guard is surrounded by pro bowlers, opposite another very good guard, with a promising center. He is protecting a quarterback with a ridiculous arsenal, including quick dump-off options, and a guy who is surprisingly mobile in the pocket when we need him to be.

That top 10-5 defensive end would replace a guy that has been invisible frequently, on a defense who fails to get pressure when blitzing 8, is backed up by maybe the most incompetent group of LB's in the NFC

In a straight up switch, Nicks for Williams, would the defensive improvement or the offensive drop-off be more noticeable?

I'm not saying I'd give up Nicks to save enough money to sign Williams, but it's definitely not the lock decision you make it out to be. I think it would be worth thinking about.

CCL36

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I know we have plenty of in-house free agents that need to be resigned. But let's envision a scenario where we let Colsten walk, sign Nicks and Brees (obviously), and make a push for Mario Williams. Is it financially possible? We could let Will Smith walk, and have Mario and Cam Jordan make some noise from the ends in Spag's 4-3 defense!!! Thoughts? Think Mickey is interested?
Its not a bad idea...he is coming off of an injury so we could pay him a little lower with a short 3 year deal that would enable him to hit the market again.

In the end if we make a couple moves in FA on defense we can get 2 or 3 WR/TEs in which seems to be a deep draft--If not, and we spend big money on a FA WR (Colston or whoever) we will have to go LB in the draft.

Personally I would rather have a couple of young WRs and a FA LB and an upgrade like Mario than to keep Colston and stay the same on D besides a 2nd and 3rd pick that may or may not contribute. This O can move the ball without our without Colston or Meachem...and who knows adding some speed/size like Streeter, and Joe Adams and/or Ledarious Green might actually enhance the O.

Professor

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Do you folks know what the words "pipe dream" mean? If the Saints, in addition to the obvious signing of Brees, sign Nicks. There won't be cap room to sign any marquee players from other teams. They could cut Will Smith, but my guess is that they will either restructure with Smith or release him to make room to sign Nicks (and maybe Colston).

It's nice to think this could happen, but there's a LOT that would have to take place for the Saints to have room to do anything approaching signing someone like Mario Williams.

By thinking it could happen, you are just letting yourselves in for a big disappointment. I can hear it now, with people complaining the Saints didn't sign (fill in the blank) when the player was unrestricted and would have filled a need.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Twitter

Headlines

Saints Headlines (Official Site)

Top Bottom