Mario Williams UFA. Loomis considering it? (1 Viewer)

#1stunna

OIL COUNTRY
Reaction score
Sticky Post
I know we have plenty of in-house free agents that need to be resigned. But let's envision a scenario where we let Colsten walk, sign Nicks and Brees (obviously), and make a push for Mario Williams. Is it financially possible? We could let Will Smith walk, and have Mario and Cam Jordan make some noise from the ends in Spag's 4-3 defense!!! Thoughts? Think Mickey is interested?

demented

All-Pro
Reaction score
The Saints have plenty of cap room. I don't know why everyone is in such a panic.

Right now, pre-Brees, we have around 30 million in cap room and we haven't cut ANYONE.

The intent of the rookie wage scale and minimum salary floor was to increase the payouts to veterans in their 1st real deal.

The salary cap will be rising greatly in 1-2 years. A total of maybe 50-60%.

The Saints are perfectly capable of back loading contracts with upfront signing bonuses to push the cap damage into the future flush years.

The only reason we won't sign Colston or Nicks is because they simply won't be worth the amount of money someone else may offer them. If that's the case then I expect Loomis to let them walk(especially Colston).

Cutting Will Smith or Vilma is a much easier proposition. Their pro-rated signing bonus caps hits are applied in the FOLLOWING league year. So, Smith is scheduled to count for like 11 million this year (4 singing, 7 salary). We cut him, we're on the hook for the 4 signing this year, and the remainder(4) next year.

SAINTSFAN

Contributor
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I hope Smith restructures, I guess he needs to. He's been our best player on defense for a number of years even tho he only goes beast every other year. He wasn't much of a beast in 2011, you know he is gonna get a sack total in the teens and be a relentless pass rusher this season... I'd hate to lose him.
He has only had one season in his career that he got to the teens in sacks.

slowchild25

happy in the haze
Reaction score
The Saints have plenty of cap room. I don't know why everyone is in such a panic.

Right now, pre-Brees, we have around 30 million in cap room and we haven't cut ANYONE.
Where are you getting this number? From what I have read we are at 106 Pre-Brees and the cap is expected to be between 121 and 124 million for 2012.

The salary cap will be rising greatly in 1-2 years. A total of maybe 50-60%.
This is not happening.

SAINTSFAN

Contributor
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Where are you getting this number? From what I have read we are at 106 Pre-Brees and the cap is expected to be between 121 and 124 million for 2012.

This is not happening.
There was a thread here that showed that we were in the $90s (maybe the $106 assumes a franchise tag for Brees?). The cap will rise significantly with the TV contract (not sure that much though).

Eman5805

Soulful Voice Actor
Reaction score
I like to think of that Saints chant commercial with an indigant Mario Williams staring at the security guard going off shouting "Again!" as somewhat prophetic.

If Houston hadn't taken Williams, we would have, even over Reggie Bush, I wager.

Mario Williams and the Saints. Me hopes that there's some kind of destiny there.

slowchild25

happy in the haze
Reaction score
There was a thread here that showed that we were in the $90s (maybe the $106 assumes a franchise tag for Brees?). The cap will rise significantly with the TV contract (not sure that much though).
I can't find that one. The lowest I see is $101.4

2012 salary-cap space - NFC South Blog - ESPN

As for the new TV contracts they don't come into effect until 2014 and I agree while the cap will rise significantly I don't think it will be 50-60%.

CanuckSaint

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I don't think Mario Williams is possible for us.

We have $94 Million committed this season.

Assuming Brees gets $17 million/yr, that's a $6 million raise for him. Lets say Nicks signs for $8 million/yr, which is a $7 million raise for him.

That adds 13 million to the cap, putting us at $107 million. Then there is the draft, and lets assume that will cost us around $2 million cap space wise, so that's $109 million.

Now assuming Mario wants $15 million/yr (which is fair), we're over the cap (assuming it's $120 million).

Not only that, but trading or cutting Will Smith gives us a cap hit. Porter is a free agent, and if we want to go for it, do we really want Patrick as our nickle?

Then there is the OLB problem. I'm guessing draft as well.

With both Franklin and Rogers as UFA's, we'll need to bring atleast one back. Draft a backup maybe?

This is also assuming we let Meachum and Colston both go and replace them through the draft.

It just doesn't make sense for us I don't think.

meily

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I know we have plenty of in-house free agents that need to be resigned. But let's envision a scenario where we let Colsten walk, sign Nicks and Brees (obviously), and make a push for Mario Williams. Is it financially possible? We could let Will Smith walk, and have Mario and Cam Jordan make some noise from the ends in Spag's 4-3 defense!!! Thoughts? Think Mickey is interested?
If we can sign a Mario Williams, then we minus well sign Colston...I dont see how thats a better option?....if we cant afford Colston how can we afford Mario Williams? First priority is to resign your own players, Loomis and Payton have always said this...our priority is to keep our drafted players, guys we brought up in the system (Colston, Nicks, Porter, Dunbar etc) everything all other needs will be addressed in the Draft.

Randy Jones

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
The way some folks here count money I would not be inclined to make you my accountant. :)

lvsaintsfan57

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Tell Will Smith that if he restructures, then Loomis will have money to put someone opposite him and he'll face less double teams :hihi:

Sarcastic

Very Banned
Reaction score
, then we minus well sign Colston
I've seen this twice in the last two days...it's an interesting sound-alike error, like "all intensive purposes"

The expression is "we might as well sign Colston" - like, if we're going to do that, then it's just as sensible to do that - we might as well

/jack

PierreRX

Reaction score
Will Smith is accounting for $5.7mil against the cap
Vilma is accounting for $7.6 mil against the cap

They both need to restructure or go due to their performances as of late. We resctructre these two then we have enough money to go after a marquee player and sign our free agents

PierreRX

Reaction score
Will Smith is accounting for $5.7mil against the cap
Vilma is accounting for $7.6 mil against the cap

They both need to restructure or go due to their performances as of late. We resctructre these two then we have enough money to go after a marquee player and sign our free agents
Here is the link NFC South Blog - ESPN

sykobob671

"BUGJUICE"
Reaction score
CBS Sports' Pete Prisco expects free agent DE/OLB Mario Williams to become the highest paid defensive player in the NFL if he hits the open market.
Williams has the No. 1 overall pick pedigree, the measurables, the age (just turned 27), the versatility, and the production to incite a feeding frenzy once the cap-strapped Texans pass on the franchise tag at $22.9 million. SI.com's Don Banks suggests the Bills, Jags, and Bucs as the top three suitors, with the Packers as a wild card. We've also seen the Chargers and Raiders connected to Williams. Feb 9 - 2:56 PM
Source: CBSSports.com

Mario Williams - Houston Texans - 2012 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

Also, last season he had a torn pectoral muscle not an ACL.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Twitter

Headlines

Saints Headlines (Official Site)

Top Bottom