Mario Williams UFA. Loomis considering it? (1 Viewer)

#1stunna

OIL COUNTRY
Reaction score
Sticky Post
I know we have plenty of in-house free agents that need to be resigned. But let's envision a scenario where we let Colsten walk, sign Nicks and Brees (obviously), and make a push for Mario Williams. Is it financially possible? We could let Will Smith walk, and have Mario and Cam Jordan make some noise from the ends in Spag's 4-3 defense!!! Thoughts? Think Mickey is interested?

Firecross

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't see it happening but who really knows? Loomis restructures a few contracts/cuts some fat then it changes FA entirely. I could see Cowboys/Redskins throwing ridiculous money at him, I think the Cowboys are going to spend this year on someone and if Mario Williams is on the market he'd look nice next to ware.

The only way he ends up as a Saint is if he wants to be here and feels like we were the best team in the league last year that just lost on fluke plays and takes a cap friendly deal which would baffle everyone because he'll command pepper-esqe money. We need to improve our DT's though, will we? is the question.

Guys like Tom Johnson played ok in spurts, what will a Mitch King offer in a new system? Will we draft a DT? will spags move someone into the DT position who didn't play it last year? Sedrick Ellis needs to be addressed and addressed fast, Rodgers played well down the stretch, do we bring him back? Lots of questions to be answered before throwing the bank on Williams, I mean how effective would he be if the pocket isn't being collapsed from the middle?

Nightshade

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
CBS Sports' Pete Prisco expects free agent DE/OLB Mario Williams to become the highest paid defensive player in the NFL if he hits the open market.
Williams has the No. 1 overall pick pedigree, the measurables, the age (just turned 27), the versatility, and the production to incite a feeding frenzy once the cap-strapped Texans pass on the franchise tag at $22.9 million. SI.com's Don Banks suggests the Bills, Jags, and Bucs as the top three suitors, with the Packers as a wild card. We've also seen the Chargers and Raiders connected to Williams. Feb 9 - 2:56 PM
Source: CBSSports.com

Mario Williams - Houston Texans - 2012 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

Also, last season he had a torn pectoral muscle not an ACL.
I don't see the Glazers to fork out the kind of money it will take to get Williams

rooneylives

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
let colston, nicks go, sign brees, williams, bowe, wayne. cut smith and maybe trade vilma. boom championship

Professor

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
The Saints have plenty of cap room. I don't know why everyone is in such a panic.

Right now, pre-Brees, we have around 30 million in cap room and we haven't cut ANYONE.
Brees will probably take up half that in cap space. Nicks will take up approximately 8-9 million more. (I address the Nicks signing below.) The Saints wil need to keep some room under the cap in case they have to sign a player to replace one sent to IR. Another 3 million for rookies.

*POOF* There goes all that supposed cap space.

The salary cap will be rising greatly in 1-2 years. A total of maybe 50-60%.
It will go up significantly, but I doubt it will go up anywhere near 50 - 60% in 1 - 2 years.

The Saints are perfectly capable of back loading contracts with upfront signing bonuses to push the cap damage into the future flush years.
True, as long as they don't create a situation that puts them in cap hell in three years.

The only reason we won't sign Colston or Nicks is because they simply won't be worth the amount of money someone else may offer them. If that's the case then I expect Loomis to let them walk(especially Colston).
Someone will be willing to pay Nicks a higher salary than Evans got, which was, and still is, the biggest contract in the league for an interior lineman. I think the Saints not only can do that, they will. Evans' contract was for 7 years with a total value of approximately 57 million. Offer Nicks the same 7 years for approximately 60 million, with enough guaranteed money, and he'll stay.

Cutting Will Smith or Vilma is a much easier proposition. Their pro-rated signing bonus caps hits are applied in the FOLLOWING league year. So, Smith is scheduled to count for like 11 million this year (4 singing, 7 salary). We cut him, we're on the hook for the 4 signing this year, and the remainder(4) next year.

You could be right here. I read somewhere that the Saints could save about 7 million in cap this season by cutting Will Smith. Vilma, I think, will restructure. He knows he's not as effective as he once was with his knees being a chronic problem for him now. He knows if he were released, he'd probably get an offer in the 2-3 million per year range. Dunbar seemed to outplay him this year.

However, all that said, the Saints are still up against the cap with the other signings. I agree that Colston will likely be gone because we have WRs that can step in and make it work, especially with Brees throwing the ball. Arrington shows flashes, and the undrafted free agent rookie that was put on IR, Joseph Morgan, showed a lot of talent in the preseason before the injury. However, he's 6-1 and weighs only 184, so he would not be able to fill Colston's spot. Colston is 6-4 and weighs 225. It's his size that creates the mismatches against smaller DBs. None of the other WRs on the Saints come close to matching Colston's size and strength. So if Colston signs elsewhere, the Saints will either draft a big WR with a mid-round pick or try to get one on the rise in free agency, but tha't an iffy proposition, given the problems with the cap--which ARE problems. I also wonder if they are going to keep Henderson. He really didn't do much this season. That would possibly allow the Saints to re-sign Meachem for a good price, considering he also didn't do that much this season but has had stretches of games where he performed very well.

let colston, nicks go, sign brees, williams, bowe, wayne. cut smith and maybe trade vilma. boom championship

More like "BOOM" team blown up with a chance to see Brees injured because the guard isn't nearly as good.

JackDiesel

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
That says Smith counts $10.15 million against the cap, not $5.7.

To start with, Smith remains under contract, which is precisely the reason he’s even in this discussion. Smith is scheduled to count $10.15 million against the 2012 salary cap. That’s an issue for a team that’s trying to figure out how to keep free-agent quarterback Drew Brees, guard Carl Nicks and receiver Marques Colston.

Let’s do the math real quick here. The Saints could save a $1 million roster bonus if they cut Smith before the 15<sup>th</sup> day of the league year. If they did release Smith, the Saints would only be on the hook for $4 million against the salary cap. In other words, they could free up $6.15 million in salary-cap space.
As I pointed out on Smith, economics are a big deal for the Saints. Vilma is scheduled to count $7.6 million against this year’s cap. If the Saints release him, they instantly free up $5.2 million in cap space.
That'd free up a total of $11.35 million. How we use that money if we do need to use it is up to Loomis but it's still possible we make a play for a big name FA rather than accepting mediocre play from our own highly paid FA's.

Hey BAY BAY!!!

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Colston, Brees, or Nicks...somebody gne have to be franchised if we want all three back and get a contract the following season.

I would not sign Mario. He will be hot on the market but he cant stay healthy. I dnt think he have played a full season since being with the Texans. Lets see what Tez, Jordan, and Romeus can do at that DE spot. Gallete will also be in mix.

Will Smith need to restructure. I would rather have a dominate inside DT.

nosaints213

ad majorem dei gloriam
Reaction score
Yes to Cliff Avril, no to Mario Williams he's never done anything in this league.
Smh. In his last 5 seasons, he's had 48 sacks. Last year he only played 5 games (and had 5 sacks), and the year before that he played 13 games, so it's even more impressive considering it's really only about 4 seasons worth of games - and that is all while he was getting double teamed on every single play because the rest of that line was horrible for years.

Couple that with his great run defense, and yeah, I'd say that he has done a little somethin' somethin' in this league.

demented

All-Pro
Reaction score
We were at 106 prior to Brees voiding his last year(12 million in salary). We dropped back down to 94 or so after that.

The Salary Cap is going to go up by an ENORMOUS amount starting with the 2014 season. The players are guaranteed 55% of the TV revenue(which is estimated to be 7 billion). They also get 45% of the tickets/concessions and merchandising. Just doing rough math, the TV revenue alone for 2014 is more than the total salary cap now.

Scorpius the Allfather

Dream Theater fanatic!
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
That top 3 guard is surrounded by pro bowlers, opposite another very good guard, with a promising center. He is protecting a quarterback with a ridiculous arsenal, including quick dump-off options, and a guy who is surprisingly mobile in the pocket when we need him to be.

That top 10-5 defensive end would replace a guy that has been invisible frequently, on a defense who fails to get pressure when blitzing 8, is backed up by maybe the most incompetent group of LB's in the NFC

In a straight up switch, Nicks for Williams, would the defensive improvement or the offensive drop-off be more noticeable?

I'm not saying I'd give up Nicks to save enough money to sign Williams, but it's definitely not the lock decision you make it out to be. I think it would be worth thinking about.
The decision is a lock. You don't make your offense worse so you can make your defense better. Edit: You especially don't make an historic offense worse just to make the defense better.

VDK

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
The decision is a lock. You don't make your offense worse so you can make your defense better. Edit: You especially don't make an historic offense worse just to make the defense better.
Really? You mean u wouldnt take some slippage on offense to make the defense better and consequently make the "team" better. In case u didn't notice, that historic offense did not win a Super Bowl.

robsmith32

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Really? You mean u wouldnt take some slippage on offense to make the defense better and consequently make the "team" better. In case u didn't notice, that historic offense did not win a Super Bowl.
neither did th best defense in the league..
it was a team that at times had great offense along with a defense that sometimes was great.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Twitter

Headlines

Saints Headlines (Official Site)

Top Bottom