Saints Mark Ingram says he’s been talking to Saints about new deal (1 Viewer)

Thunderchild

Flock Up!
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It looks like talks have begun. Git r done, Loomis!

The 29 year old has consistently maintained that he would prefer to stay with the team that drafted him, and for their part, the Saints have said they want to bring Ingram back.

To that end, both sides have met about a new agreement this offseason.

“I’ve been talking to the Saints,” Ingram told The Rich Eisen Show recently.

“It’s kind of like a thing where they say they want me back, I say, ‘I want to be back,’ [and] it’s just can we compromise on the value? Like I said, I’ve been there my entire career. It’s very rare that someone gets to spend their career in one place, and that would be something that would be significant. But at the same time, I’m not afraid to bet on myself. I believe in my opportunity.”

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-orlea...gram-and-Saints-discussed-contract-129232932/

I honestly believe everything Ingram says about his intentions of wanting to stay here, which is rare when players are positioning themselves for FA. I say 3 years, $20 million with $13 guaranteed. Playing in a split backfield, that's a good deal. He'd have to go get abused as a workhorse somewhere else and they're not going to want to pony up for a RB at 30 to be that guy (Look at the deals Adrian Peterson has signed since the Vikings let him go...). And we luckily have Kamara for two more years on his rookie deal and would need to be reupped right at the time that Ingram's third year on the new deal would be starting and if Ingram has lost it by then, we can cut ties at that point as long as we've got a good enough replacement we're locked on in the draft or a FA mercenary RB to split the load until we can find a permanent replacement.

I honestly believe everything Ingram says about his intentions of wanting to stay here, which is rare when players are positioning themselves for FA. I say 3 years, $20 million with $13 guaranteed. Playing in a split backfield, that's a good deal. He'd have to go get abused as a workhorse somewhere else and they're not going to want to pony up for a RB at 30 to be that guy (Look at the deals Adrian Peterson has signed since the Vikings let him go...). And we luckily have Kamara for two more years on his rookie deal and would need to be reupped right at the time that Ingram's third year on the new deal would be starting and if Ingram has lost it by then, we can cut ties at that point as long as we've got a good enough replacement we're locked on in the draft or a FA mercenary RB to split the load until we can find a permanent replacement.

He's coming off a 4 year 16million dollar deal and you want to sign him to a 3 year 20 million dollar deal? I say 3 years 10-12 million, but he should be brought back as he is and should finish his career here and is a damn good back to pair with Kamara....that backfield is one of the best if not best in the league.

He's coming off a 4 year 16million dollar deal and you want to sign him to a 3 year 20 million dollar deal? I say 3 years 10-12 million, but he should be brought back as he is and should finish his career here and is a damn good back to pair with Kamara....that backfield is one of the best if not best in the league.
Yeah, only $13 guaranteed and he'd be asked to restructure the last year or hit the road, like most of Loomis's contracts - which he'd likely do at that point since he'd already gotten all the guaranteed money and knows he'd have little to no market value at 32 going on 33. (Or make it 3 years $18 mil with $12 guaranteed so he's getting a $2 million raise which would match the increase in production and stability he's shown over the last deal.) He's not going to take less money than he got on his last deal which was pretty much a prove it deal since he'd been up and down so much before signing that contract. And he sure as hell has been one of the best RB's in the league while on that deal. Offering him less than his last deal means he'd go play somewhere else. That's not really negotiating in good faith.

"Hey, Mark. Look, we know you just seriously outplayed your last deal and never said a word about it, so to reward your attitude, production and loyalty, here's a low ball offer so you can say you stayed with the same team for the entirety of your career."

Take a look at the list of RB salaries and tell me that he Ingram wasn't worth more than nearly every back on that list who makes more than he did. And he still is. https://overthecap.com/position/running-back/

And he'd be getting twice the guaranteed money in this deal than the previous one. We'd basically be offering him the contract that Lamar Miller is playing on for the Texans right now with the fourth year removed. Offering him less than a back like Miller is a slap in the face for all he does and means to this team.

Last edited:
I don’t care for the hit the road thinking but I would agree hes in the seven million range. Hope he gets more, hope the Saints pay less.

If Mark Ingram managed to resign with us, I’m getting myself a Mark Ingram jersey. I always wanted one.

This is his last significant contract, with a Superbowl contending team. Has we won the superbowl this year, no way Ingram would have come back, he'd have taken the highest offer made, but i don't see him playing for less then his previous salary. I think 7 to 9 million a year for 3 years, possibly 4, is reasonable market value.

I just hope this is a repeat of how Ingram's last contract negotiation went... Drama-free and happened so fast and smoothly most people didn't even realize he had been re-signed.

Many gave Mark a lot of flack in the past, but the past 2-3 years, he's been solid. I hope he's back. One of my favorite players on this squad.

Mark Ingram is a complete professional in an age of prima donnas like Antonio Brown. Ingram brings no drama to the Saints, but instead he brings all hard work and intensity with never a word of complaint about touches. He deserves to be paid.

Last edited:
This is his last significant contract, with a Superbowl contending team. Has we won the superbowl this year, no way Ingram would have come back, he'd have taken the highest offer made, but i don't see him playing for less then his previous salary. I think 7 to 9 million a year for 3 years, possibly 4, is reasonable market value.
Way too much. That would make him the highest paid RB in the league according to this:
Ingram enters the offseason with a calculated market value of $4.4 million per year, according to Spotrac, and in their estimation is worth a two year contract worth $8.84 million.

Such a payout would propel Ingram into the top 10 among running backs in terms of base salary for next season, placing him at No. 6 overall.

Topping that list is Buffalo Bills back LeSean McCoy, set to earn $6.175 million, followed by the Arizona Cardinals’ David Johnson, at $5.7 million. The Los Angeles Rams’ Todd Gurley ranks fifth at $5 million.
https://247sports.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/Article/Mark-Ingram-2019-market-value-129066253/

Yeah, only $13 guaranteed and he'd be asked to restructure the last year or hit the road, like most of Loomis's contracts - which he'd likely do at that point since he'd already gotten all the guaranteed money and knows he'd have little to no market value at 32 going on 33. (Or make it 3 years $18 mil with $12 guaranteed so he's getting a $2 million raise which would match the increase in production and stability he's shown over the last deal.) He's not going to take less money than he got on his last deal which was pretty much a prove it deal since he'd been up and down so much before signing that contract. And he sure as hell has been one of the best RB's in the league while on that deal. Offering him less than his last deal means he'd go play somewhere else. That's not really negotiating in good faith.

"Hey, Mark. Look, we know you just seriously outplayed your last deal and never said a word about it, so to reward your attitude, production and loyalty, here's a low ball offer so you can say you stayed with the same team for the entirety of your career."

Take a look at the list of RB salaries and tell me that he Ingram wasn't worth more than nearly every back on that list who makes more than he did. And he still is. https://overthecap.com/position/running-back/

And he'd be getting twice the guaranteed money in this deal than the previous one. We'd basically be offering him the contract that Lamar Miller is playing on for the Texans right now with the fourth year removed. Offering him less than a back like Miller is a slap in the face for all he does and means to this team.

I guess you didn't hear the rumor or forgot about it but when his suspension happened it came out that he was wanting a raise.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom